Akoury dealer | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Akoury dealer

Thanks a lot for your reply.

They are currently discounted to $80 and free shipping at their website.

1.Would you remember how much you got them for during the Motorcycle show? I'd be surprised if they sell for lower than $80 (Although you make a great point about having to try them on to check the fit) and

2. Would these fit in stock saddlebags. (I have a Vulcan 900). I am buying these primarily for errands around the city. To put them in the saddlebag while I stop by grocery store to pick up milk and bread. Instead of having to carry my full face helmet around.

I have been avoiding buying a half helmet until now because of the mushroom head look, but I was recently reading about how Akoury and virtually identical brands like Crazy Al's helmet don't give that look.

$80 is pretty tough to beat. I prefer the Akoury Terminator which they don't have on the site. Whether they fit in your saddle bag depends on how big the saddle bags are. It will fit in a pillion bag or a good sized tank bag though.

.... Though you're better protected from facial injury with a FF, there's no proof they offer better protection from head injury, concussion or death.
Probably because most helmets do cover the parts that can kill you quickest and the actual construction is all relatively similar. ymmv.
If you wear an open face :/ don't lead with your chin, hopefully you can tuck and roll out of it. Padding on the handlebar mount or cross-brace is highly advisable.

... had my open face drove clear off my head once, that hurt.

I hear if you get hit in the face bad enough your nose can get driven into your brain, I think a FF helmet might help a little with the odds of survival there. I'd be willing to take that on faith and without proof.

Last edited:
Probably because most helmets do cover the parts that can kill you quickest and the actual construction is all relatively similar. ymmv.
If you wear an open face :/ don't lead with your chin, hopefully you can tuck and roll out of it. Padding on the handlebar mount or cross-brace is highly advisable.

Agree.

... had my open face drove clear off my head once, that hurt.

If you look at most bad accident vids, the helmet is the first thing to come off, FF, 3/4 or 1/2. I was amazed at how they come off, generally the helmet lifts from the rear forward, the strap forces into the neck and the whole helmet flies forward and off. Put your helmet on and try pushing it from the rear forward and you'll understand how with force it happens.

I hear if you get hit in the face bad enough your nose can get driven into your brain, I think a FF helmet might help a little with the odds of survival there. I'd be willing to take that on faith and without proof.

I have a slew of studies on helmet effectiveness and one of them done in Australia found that in a frontal collision FF helmets are more deadly because the chin bar forces your jaw up into your brain. Too lazy to dig that one out right now, but as a general rule you should remember that helmets only protect you from serious injury (fractures, etc.) at impacts below 27mph. Beyond that concussion (the slamming of your brain against the walls of your skull, ripping vital arteries and causing bruising) is the issue and helmets cannot prevent concussion. The worst case scenario for any accident is that you hit an immoveable object. What you want to do is slide avoiding anything, a FF will be the best protection as you roll and bounce over things like curbs, lawn ornaments, and asphalt grinding. 1/2 helmets will provide much less protection in those cases and you'll look pretty ugly afterwards, but you know, the wind in your face feels good, LOL.

Reactions: J_F
OP
go get that helmet if you like it
by now I'm sure you've seen the site is sport bike biased
that's okay, but get what you like, and have fun riding that Vulcan
nothing wrong with going slow and enjoying the journey

OP
go get that helmet if you like it
by now I'm sure you've seen the site is sport bike biased
that's okay, but get what you like, and have fun riding that Vulcan
nothing wrong with going slow and enjoying the journey

lol- it's ok if the site is sportsbike biased. Also, most of the posts were well intentioned (in terms of recommending full face for max protection).

I am fairly clear about my usage scenario. btw- ordered and received an Akoury helmet and it fits well. It also plonks into the saddlebags, so that'd be perfect for stowing it while parked during a grocery run.

Reactions: J_F
RoadGhost
To a point I agree. Fatal acccident studies show the gear isn't a great factor.
Injuries - yes ....fatal no.
Helmets likely would turn the vegetable brain rider to injured but sane.

I like 3/4 - they are quieter than full face.
I wear convertibles in Canada and Australia and often with the top up.....so in theory less protection than the 3/4
I also think there is a tendency to ride harder when geared up.

Back
Top Bottom