airbrushing on helmet | GTAMotorcycle.com

airbrushing on helmet

Kdeep

Hey everyone
Have a matte black hjc helmet looking to add some colour and design to it. Looking for a airbrush artist or something along those lines. If anyone knows someone or has done this any ideas would be grateful

sorry can't help with a painter, but I would be curious as to what this does to any warranty, DOT, SNELL certifications? Could anyone claim that chemicals in the paint would compromise any safety of the helmet?

sorry can't help with a painter, but I would be curious as to what this does to any warranty, DOT, SNELL certifications? Could anyone claim that chemicals in the paint would compromise any safety of the helmet?

From a legal standpoint, thus far, the only reg which addresses the helmet certification being rendered, no longer in effect is having anything attached to the helemt which protrudes mre than 5mm from the surface of the helmet. IE Helmet cams, or the "mohawks" etc. (see legal sub forum for discussions.

There is nothing in the HTA about paint applied to a helmet. It would IMHO be pretty difficult for an officer to determine what was applied after the manufacturing process.

legally, no. Fiberglass/carbon shell helmets are all painted.

But the solvents in paint attack the EPS liner, which is why they paint the shell first before final assembly with the EPS liner, or switch over to graphics printed on vinyl wrap for motorcycle racers (that's how Rossi always has new graphics on his helmets).
For Airbrush, the small amount of paint and solvent is not really going to affect the liner, but you have to clear coat.

I don't know if vinyl wrap can be airbrushed, then applied.

legally, no. Fiberglass/carbon shell helmets are all painted.

But the solvents in paint attack the EPS liner, which is why they paint the shell first before final assembly with the EPS liner, or switch over to graphics printed on vinyl wrap for motorcycle racers (that's how Rossi always has new graphics on his helmets).
For Airbrush, the small amount of paint and solvent is not really going to affect the liner, but you have to clear coat.

I don't know if vinyl wrap can be airbrushed, then applied.

The top racers have paint on their helmets.

OP, it's more cost affective to have someone design a graphic on a sticker. An airbrush job on a helmet is going to be over $500 probably closer to $1000.

My buddy had a vinyl sticker graphic done for his daughter's helmet, then another buddy applied 3 coats of clear. Looks good.

This is some good info. I don't really see anything regarding it being illegal. But look at some of these prices for airbrush it might just be better to get a new helmet with some colour.

The top racers have paint on their helmets.

No, they are typically vinyl wrapped and clear coated.

valentino_rossi_helmet_05.jpg

2010-valentino-rossi-a-picture-perfect-helmet-2.jpg

Where would I find a place to do a vinyl sticker wrap? Or is it a more diy project

Either way. Guys can do it for you, but it's fun to learn and Youtube has all kinds of instruction. Just make sure you get some knifeless kevlar tape so you don't damage the original finish.
Practice on some old helmet.

I'm not going to argue with you. Not EVERY racer has a graphics with clear coat, LOTS still have custom PAINTED designs.

Any one example. Most motogp riders rarely use a helmet beyond a single race, they are donated to charities.

Vehicle grade vinyl with a 2K urethane clear coat over top to seal it. The result is vivid and exceptionally durable. Pretty sure that's what you'll find on every custom helmet at the top level of competition. You'll also find that on most race car liveries, though sometimes without the 2K. Same goes for transport trucks and race haulers. Goalie helmets in the NHL are next.

To get a custom lid sprayed will cost a fortune, and it usually takes a very, very long time to do. Even a professional, ultra hi-res vinyl wrap with 2K clear is going to be considerably cheaper, and the artist, whether that's you or a pro, will have the design on file and ready to print or alter at any time.

Vehicle grade vinyl with a 2K urethane clear coat over top to seal it. The result is vivid and exceptionally durable. Pretty sure that's what you'll find on every custom helmet at the top level of competition. You'll also find that on most race car liveries, though sometimes without the 2K. Same goes for transport trucks and race haulers. Goalie helmets in the NHL are next.

To get a custom lid sprayed will cost a fortune, and it usually takes a very, very long time to do. Even a professional, ultra hi-res vinyl wrap with 2K clear is going to be considerably cheaper, and the artist, whether that's you or a pro, will have the design on file and ready to print or alter at any time.

Since he's just got a matte helmet he could find a nice art student or tattoo artist, hand them a couple paint markers, and let them have at it. Another one I've seen is have some vinyl stickers cut out at a local sign place and put them on. Can even get reflective tape/vinyl.

Vehicle grade vinyl with a 2K urethane clear coat over top to seal it. The result is vivid and exceptionally durable. Pretty sure that's what you'll find on every custom helmet at the top level of competition. You'll also find that on most race car liveries, though sometimes without the 2K.

Cars have switched over from vinyl wrap to aero wrap. Aero wrap is actually a paint film, but much lighter than even paint.

http://rethinkpaint.com/

Cool stuff, on a single Airbus it saves 2500lbs in paint.

Hello!
I can do vinyl trims on your helmet, I do fairings and helmet vinyl wrap on the side, here are some samples: www.jwrap.ca

As for Air Brushing, I know of a lady locally that does amazing work! it might cost a bit more but her results are amazing! Air brush would cost a bit more than vinyl, but the details can be more complex. Here is her website: http://www.blackwidowairbrushing.com/

Hope this helps!

Hello!
I can do vinyl trims on your helmet, I do fairings and helmet vinyl wrap on the side, here are some samples: www.jwrap.ca

As for Air Brushing, I know of a lady locally that does amazing work! it might cost a bit more but her results are amazing! Air brush would cost a bit more than vinyl, but the details can be more complex. Here is her website: http://www.blackwidowairbrushing.com/

Hope this helps!

I am amazed that nobody has yet named Amanda.
Amanda did my helmet years ago. Great work.

That`s my helmet. The one with the eye. Keep an eye out for it. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom