Ahoy! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ahoy!

You wanna get almost as many opinions as what kind of oil to use, ask how to break in a new engine. Everybody and their uncles cousin has a different view on it 😂
True but the factory recommendation that limits top speed to 60 km/h for 200 km is pretty crap. Their recommendations should at least let you go 90 km/h or so to allow you to actually build miles while varying your speed.

True but the factory recommendation that limits top speed to 60 km/h for 200 km is pretty crap. Their recommendations should at least let you go 90 km/h or so to allow you to actually build miles while varying your speed.
Personally I didn’t stick to the factory recommendation, kept it below 120 and tried to never let the engine sit at the same RPM for more then a couple seconds. And oil change at 500 (conventional) and then 1000km (synthetic)

Personally I didn’t stick to the factory recommendation, kept it below 120 and tried to never let the engine sit at the same RPM for more then a couple seconds. And oil change at 500 (conventional) and then 1000km (synthetic)
I've heard of folks using conventional for break in periods. May read into that more and do the same.

Can't beat Kawasaki racing green.

Browsed these forums for the better part of a year when I was directed here by a Google search result for motorbike insurance in Southern Ontario. The insurance forum was really helpful in browsing what was available to me as a newer M2 rider. Ended up going thru AIM ultimately as they had a deal with the CMA course I took in 2022.

Not exactly in the GTA (Brantford), but you all seemed like such a great group here, I thought I'd sign up since I'm only a short ride away!

Started on a 99 250 Ninja in 2002 when I was 17, and after a near 20 year lapse, bought myself a '22 CRF300L from DeWildt at the end of 2022. Have it all setup for motocamping and enjoying every KM! Re-taking the CMA rider course again was a lot of fun and really got me ready again for the roads. I remembered doing it initially at the CCIW many years ago.

I've had a 2024 ZX-4RR 40th anniversary edition on order at Sturgess in Hamilton since January that I should be taking delivery of in a few weeks, so I'm super excited to get out for some more spirited riding as well. Maybe even hit TMP when they have their track days available. Already have a Graves slip on and tail tidy sitting in the garage. 😂

Anyways, good to be here! You all seem like a super nice, tight knit bunch here and looking forward to hanging around.

Cheers,

Vince
Are you planning a flash and pipe change on that ZX-4RR? I am a long time owner of multiple RZs and was thinking of getting one of those if I could give it factory UK Market software and factory UK Market exhaust.

Are you planning a flash and pipe change on that ZX-4RR? I am a long time owner of multiple RZs and was thinking of getting one of those if I could give it factory UK Market software and factory UK Market exhaust.
From my understanding the exhaust is the same for all markets the bike is sold in, the only difference in the NA market is the software that limits the throttle. The biggest gain will be from switching to aftermarket headers with a tune (stock pipe/slip-on)

From my understanding the exhaust is the same for all markets the bike is sold in, the only difference in the NA market is the software that limits the throttle. The biggest gain will be from switching to aftermarket headers with a tune (stock pipe/slip-on)
It limits the throttle or is just sets a much lower rev limiter which drastically reduces max hp?

It limits the throttle or is just sets a much lower rev limiter which drastically reduces max hp?
Limits throttle, it’ll rev to redline but won’t make any more power above 13K (might be 12K not sure) Basically above a certain point you can have the throttle open 100% but the ride by wire system will interpret it as X value (say 60%-70%)

Limits throttle, it’ll rev to redline but won’t make any more power above 13K (might be 12K not sure) Basically above a certain point you can have the throttle open 100% but the ride by wire system will interpret it as X value (say 60%-70%)
Yeah usually for emissions even if the throttle is wide open in the top of the rev range the throttle bodies start to close. Seems to be common theme for all brands of sport bikes sold here.

Yeah usually for emissions even if the throttle is wide open in the top of the rev range the throttle bodies start to close. Seems to be common theme for all brands of sport bikes sold here.
IMG_2229.jpeg
Here’s a visual on what the stock ECU does vs an unrestricted or flashed ECU
So around 11,500RPM is max power stock
Vs 14K flashed

I'm not certain if everyone is aware, but the limitations in Canada have nothing to do with emissions. As is, the bikes do not meet the sound level requirements. To comply, they limit revs, horsepower output, and (I'm certain I've read in a few sources) a different, more restrictive exhaust system. The first two are, bien sur, accomplished by the software. From reading UK magazines I've been lead to believe the programming AND the exhaust are different for the two markets.

I'm not certain if everyone is aware, but the limitations in Canada have nothing to do with emissions. As is, the bikes do not meet the sound level requirements. To comply, they limit revs, horsepower output, and (I'm certain I've read in a few sources) a different, more restrictive exhaust system. The first two are, bien sur, accomplished by the software. From reading UK magazines I've been lead to believe the programming AND the exhaust are different for the two markets.
While I can’t say for certain regarding the exhaust (I’m sure someone can compare part numbers) the NA market does not have a rev limit. Both EU and NA spec bikes will redline at the same RPM. Also no need to replace the NA ECU with a EU vs just flashing the bike to EU specs, as both will void the warranty

While I can’t say for certain regarding the exhaust (I’m sure someone can compare part numbers) the NA market does not have a rev limit. Both EU and NA spec bikes will redline at the same RPM. Also no need to replace the NA ECU with a EU vs just flashing the bike to EU specs, as both will void the warranty
Not the ECU. I would just wish to put KAWASAKI software in the bike. UK Kawasaki software. I'm certain someone has downloaded (or uploaded) the code package from a UK market ECU. And I'd bet a month's pension that the exhaust are different.

"That bike made a whopping 50 hp from its tiny inline four, thanks to a 15,500 rpm redline. The new ZX-4 models are limited to 11,5000 rpm, thanks to Canadian noise regs" Canada Moto Guide)

"That bike made a whopping 50 hp from its tiny inline four, thanks to a 15,500 rpm redline. The new ZX-4 models are limited to 11,5000 rpm, thanks to Canadian noise regs" Canada Moto Guide)
Having personally owned the bike, I can assure it has the same redline as the EU market bike

Okay. Numerous magazines call you a liar, but I'll take your word for it.
This is the article you referenced, it was posted on Feb 1st, 2023.
This review was posted on July 17th 2023.
The article you referenced did not have access to a production motorcycle to make their claims. Every review of the bike has backed up the fact that the bike is not RPM restricted.

Back
Top Bottom