Advice to overcome new suit hurting me | GTAMotorcycle.com

Advice to overcome new suit hurting me

Rob Star

Mall Santa
Site Supporter
Hi guys.......

I bought a new Dainese one piece suit. It fits me perfect, a little tight as expected, but its going to stretch a little then be not so stiff. That I know.

My problem is the knee pads. They dig into my knees. this weekend I spent nearly 12 hours in the suit riding muskoka, in hopes of breaking it in a little before a track day at grand bend this Friday.

The first few hours were great, no issues. I was using my legs and knee to plant my self on the bike when leaning and it didn't really bother me too much. (2009 R6 BTW)

After that, is when the pain started. I felt like the suit was cutting me. No matter how I positioned the knee pad, it hurt..........BAD

today, I'm limping a little, and I have light bruises on my knees, and the skin is irritated.

To overcome the irritation from rubbing, I know I can wrap my knee with something.........but what about the digging in sensation?

Its like the top of the knee pad needs to be a bit higher. If I pull the leg out of my boot a bit to get it higher, it feels awkward and I lose confidence in holding onto the bike.

my last half of the riding day was torture, and I couldn't corner at all. My focus was on the pain, and my riding was horrible.

Any tips to try so I don't go thru the same thing this Friday?

I know if I don't wear anything over my legs under my suit my knees get pretty soar by the end of a track day...but it's just from rubbing not "digging in".

Try some different sliders or pads. they should both be removable. If you don't have access to other pads you can try swapping the elbow ones to try them out.

Sounds like the distance from your center line of the knee to the ankle is too short.By putting the suit in the boot it pulls down the armour into the knee. Pending the suit design you can not remove some Dainese lower leg armour. Considering how much synthetic is in a suit these days,, don't imagine it will stretch that much with out some help. You could also try some under gear that allows the armour/leg to slide better. But you will most likely just delay the problem. The only way to fix it, is to add material lengthen the lower leg[may not be possible],,stretch the heck out of it,,or try putting the suit outside the boot.

Thanks guys

The padding doesn't remove from the suit. I was just going to take it out for the last half of my day.

If tucking the boot in doesn't help I'll come up with some sort of cushion for wearing inside the suit. Seems like my only option at this point.

Don't break in a new suit in a single 12 hour stretch! That's just asking for punishment.

Do it in stages, as long as you can until it gets a little uncomfortable in whatever place it gets uncomfortable, then a little more again the next day and so on.

If tucking the boot in doesn't help I'll come up with some sort of cushion for wearing inside the suit. Seems like my only option at this point.
Adding padding might just make things worse. You are allready in need of more space,the padding will reduce that. It will push the armour down more.

makes sense. You would know best :)

I was suggested to wear some pro undergarments, VNM wear to be exact. I do know friction was a lot of the pain. the position of the knee pad, ill work on.

Maybe I'll take a drive to bickle racing?

such a piss off, the rest of the suit was extremely comfortable, and fits like a glove. I absolutely love it. Its my first new purchased suit.

Any under gear will help,, but will most likely just delay the issue. As you build up moisture in the suit it grabs even more. regardless of undergear.
You can ntry finding something that you can wedge into the knee,,some kind of ball or something. Then wet the knee area and let it dry. Water will stretch it. You may need to do it several times. Make sure what ever you put in has some serious tension and you have to push it in. Make sure you leave it until it dries and no heat.

On a 12 hour ride, my very comfortable jeans also hurt - seems a lot to ask from a track suit? maybe I am wrong.

I wear my suit (also Dianese) over my boots, makes things a lot more comfortable in the leg/knee area but i have the Daytona boots, not sure you would be able to to the same with other brands as the top of boots are normally very bulky.

I've been in talks with Aliki from VnM wear. Shes been very helpful in suggesting small tweeks for the suit. In the mean time, I've decided to go with her products to wear under the suit. This should take care of the friction issues. What do I have to lose? Her "if it doesn't work and you don't love it return it" policy is second to none.

i took a shower in the suit the other evening, and wore it around the house until it dried. It was cold out so I didn't ride in it. Its MUCH better now. With the new under garments on the way, the only thing left is to try riding with the boots tucked in. I tried it at home, it DOES seem better.

Thanks guys. Great input as always. :)

On a 12 hour ride, my very comfortable jeans also hurt - seems a lot to ask from a track suit? maybe I am wrong.

Yeah, I guess I wasn't thinking. Better to find out on a muskoka ride the suit hurts rather than a track day.

Any under gear will help,, but will most likely just delay the issue. As you build up moisture in the suit it grabs even more. regardless of undergear.
You can ntry finding something that you can wedge into the knee,,some kind of ball or something. Then wet the knee area and let it dry. Water will stretch it. You may need to do it several times. Make sure what ever you put in has some serious tension and you have to push it in. Make sure you leave it until it dries and no heat.

I did this except I got in the shower with my suit and all the gear on. Don't get in the shower lol it takes forever to dry! After the suit was wet I went and sat on my couch to watch tv. The suit stretched perfectly, all the pain I was getting in my right knee caused by the suit went away and I could breath. I had a thicker chest protector I used to over stretch the top for room but I didn't do anything special in the legs. Maybe being in the seated position with my legs bent helped to stretch but I had no issues after the suit dried. Also make sure you condition the suit after.

WTH! Wouldn't it take days to dry after showering in it? How long did you guys have to wear it for?

TBH, i never let it completely dry before taking it off, and I only got the bottom half wet, which was where the issues were,

the upper half of the suit fits fine with no discomfort.

Where it on a rain day ride and then stretch it out with stretching exercises. Or if no rain riding wear it in the shower then stretch it out.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

WTH! Wouldn't it take days to dry after showering in it? How long did you guys have to wear it for?

I wore it for about 6hrs. It took forever to dry but I got it way too wet I think. It worked though so in the end I'm happy and no I didn't get any colour on my skin.

Back
Top Bottom