Advice to get business going | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Advice to get business going

When I was first starting out I broke something in Toronto that cost me an extra trip back and forth to go back and fix it and I thought never again.

Every summer I have to write off a couple of forgotten hand tools. Customer rarely call or text me back to remind me I forgot my $25 tape measure, it's always me remembering. Bonus for them.
I can't deal with traffic either, over the years my circle of where I will go has gotten smaller and smaller. About 45 mins around Hamilton/Burlington. Have had more than one "customer" call and get mad at me I wasn't going to do their job in Pickering saying things like "I love having to beg someone to take my money" And other rude things. I reply I'm lucky I'm in the position I don't need your money. Also, I'm not aware my ad said Ontario wide services? It doesn't.

Not much bothers me more than someone telling me how fast I can get somewhere. Saying things like "it's only 40 mins" When I know it's an hour and 10 minutes without traffic. I have replied "sorry I don't do double the speed limit" or, "If you can get here in 40 mins WHILE doing the speed limit, I'll do the job for free"
I used Google map times for travel charges. If I want to speed and theoretically make an extra buck it's my risk / reward. I would get the "I can drive from Windsor to Toronto in 3 hours" line which would cost me an hour income each way. I burn more gas, risk tickets and insurance increases. He gets a lower bill. No thanks.

I actually started charging a stiff surcharge for out of town work. It covered the double checking of tools and materials as it was all special. I could just slip over to HD if I missed something

Well here we are a month later, and not much has changed.

However, since my last posting:

- posted on Kijiji and the only person to respond was a condo owner but they're only M-F 8-5 and no weekend work so that's a bust
- ads printed
- Instagram account setup

So no major movement, but slowly forward. I'll be walking this week and leaving the flyers in peoples' mailboxes just to see if there are any bites.

But I'll keep the post updated once in a while if anything develops.

- posted on Kijiji and the only person to respond was a condo owner but they're only M-F 8-5 and no weekend work so that's a bust
- ads printed

So no major movement, but slowly forward. I'll be walking this week and leaving the flyers in peoples' mailboxes just to see if there are any bites.

Pm me if you want a weekend project

Sent from the future

- ads printed

While no progress it is still good to see a positive update, I am sure once we get out of this last cold spell you'll see some calls come your way.

- ads printed

I was going to suggest that, - place a Kijiji ad to see if there was any action on it before you invest too much time/energy/money into the idea... That's what I've done with several idea's I've had. Can always ignore the replies, but at least you get an idea if anyone is searching for the term, or work you are offering.
Even worth spending the $30-$40 for a top ad for a month to see if it gets you any leads. If you do get replies and are not ready yet just say you are booked until xxx.

I was going to suggest that, - place a Kijiji ad to see if there was any action on it before you invest too much time/energy/money into the idea... That's what I've done with several idea's I've had. Can always ignore the replies, but at least you get an idea if anyone is searching for the term, or work you are offering.
Even worth spending the $30-$40 for a top ad for a month to see if it gets you any leads. If you do get replies and are not ready yet just say you are booked until xxx.
That's my plan. I figure right now I'm about $50 into it in advertising so far (not including licensing the actual business).

I've got 100 flyers printed and folder (the benefits of WFH) and will be handing them out tonight in houses near my son's activity while he's in. The next batch will be here in my neighbourhood.

I don't think there's a need for big and flashy...just simple and to the point.

But I'm not in advertising or marketing so WTF do I know?!

That's my plan. I figure right now I'm about $50 into it in advertising so far (not including licensing the actual business).

I've got 100 flyers printed and folder (the benefits of WFH) and will be handing them out tonight in houses near my son's activity while he's in. The next batch will be here in my neighbourhood.

I'd recommend Vistaprint, I used them for business numerous times and always great results.
Easy to design and you can make the number of copies to suit your budget.

I'd recommend Vistaprint, I used them for business numerous times and always great results.
Easy to design and you can make the number of copies to suit your budget.

That's what I'm using. My flyers are nothing more than home printed on an 8.5x11 sheet.

If I don't see any results, I'll move onto a more 'professional' flyer. But will have VistaPrint for the small lawn signs on metal poles, and metallic signs for dad's van (maybe the GTI).

That's what I'm using. My flyers are nothing more than home printed on an 8.5x11 sheet.

If I don't see any results, I'll move onto a more 'professional' flyer. But will have VistaPrint for the small lawn signs on metal poles, and metallic signs for dad's van (maybe the GTI).
Considering that 95% will be looked at for less that 1 second, keeping them simple is best and should be the most cost effective

- ads printed

I think the city is still in holiday/winter mode. It's been very quiet (my impression). Plus March break is around the corner. I think once that is done things should pick up.

I think the city is still in holiday/winter mode. It's been very quiet (my impression). Plus March break is around the corner. I think once that is done things should pick up.
Post Christmas usually means people go on diets and cut back on spending to put credit cards on a diet.

You could also make some slightly focused flyers if you are putting them on homes. Specially for external (outdoor) services. See a house with needed landscaping help, drop the landscaping focused flyer off there. Painting, painting focused flyer.... Fence, fence focused flyer.

It will still be a low hit rate but it might help.

I took a mini marketing course decades ago and it was interesting

IIRC the five basic angles were product, price, promotion, packaging and distribution. The five had to be in balance.

If you were selling an item perceived to be high value the package had to be deluxe as well. Everyone drives $100,000 pickups.

Packaging in contracting would be getting the job and subbing it out vs hands on or a mix.

Promotion would include flyers, most which get thrown out. A budget flyer could imply low end renos. A more expensive four colour card stock flyer could imply a Rosedale only attitude. (Some Rosedale contractors aren't that good)

Patience. People buy groceries every week. Renovations come every few years or longer. Handyman stuff is more frequent and if done well can lead to renos.

Timing: People throw out flyers unless they have an immediate need. Two weeks later the need appears and they Google someone else.:(

Timing: People throw out flyers unless they have an immediate need. Two weeks later the need appears and they Google someone else.:(
On that front, fridge magnets often stay around longer in prospective clients homes.

EDIT:
AI of "Polish construction guy giving thumbs up". Since this guy has three hands, he can obviously work faster than the competition.

6ea9accb-2f22-4d51-ac58-c72b728408f0.jpg

Last edited:
@mimico_polak Don't be afraid to show a little skin... :love:
I'm not afraid to show skin...but some may be afraid to see it!

Promotion would include flyers, most which get thrown out. A budget flyer could imply low end renos. A more expensive four colour card stock flyer could imply a Rosedale only attitude. (Some Rosedale contractors aren't that good)

Patience. People buy groceries every week. Renovations come every few years or longer. Handyman stuff is more frequent and if done well can lead to renos.

Thing is that there is no magic formula. It's a mix of timing, luck, and just good ol mood of the person seeing the flyer. Maybe this will work...maybe not...but if I don't try I don't know. If no responses in a few weeks, then I can change it up or go more 'pro'. Maybe...but there's only one way to find out.
You could also make some slightly focused flyers if you are putting them on homes. Specially for external (outdoor) services. See a house with needed landscaping help, drop the landscaping focused flyer off there. Painting, painting focused flyer.... Fence, fence focused flyer.

It will still be a low hit rate but it might help.
Good idea. Right now my flyer is very 'busy' and have had some good input from some members here. Still fine tuning it...but it's never really 'perfect'. I've wasted enough time with 'paralysis by analysis' since the new year...I don't want to burn more time by perfecting a flyer.

Any benefits to having a flyer with one side in Polish? I am not sure if there are any areas in your intended coverage area where that may pay off?

Again, I would not do them all but maybe just as a targeted flyer.

On that front, fridge magnets often stay around longer in prospective clients homes.

EDIT:
AI of "Polish construction guy giving thumbs up". Since this guy has three hands, he can obviously work faster than the competition.

6ea9accb-2f22-4d51-ac58-c72b728408f0.jpg
3 hands 2 thumbs????

Any benefits to having a flyer with one side in Polish? I am not sure if there are any areas in your intended coverage area where that may pay off?

Again, I would not do them all but maybe just as a targeted flyer.
Considered it, but I personally don’t believe it would make much difference. I do identify we can speak in English or Polish. I’ll send you a copy to get your take.

Back
Top Bottom