Adopting a dog vs Breeder | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Adopting a dog vs Breeder

I used to think I only wanted a pure breed dog (English bulldog) but have had three rescues now (none of them Bulldogs) and would never look back.

Op,

Your friend is looking for a particular breed and must have good reason. Be it behaviour or just the look etc.

It's not one of the breeds that is typically milled but that doesn't exempt the possibility.

I'd probably research a breeders and find one but, that's just me.

Rescue or breeder, they both have pros and cons. Just need to take the time before committing.

Breeders typically enjoy a particular breed for a reason and like minded folks will be satisfied going this way. Even if health complications occur, it's just one if those things.

If the purpose of a dog is companionship and a certain life style, than I would suggest adopt. You can always find a suitable companion that has the traits looking for.

There is no sure thing.

The only absolute is if there is intent to show the animal or breed themselves. And in that case, only a breeder will do. Need the papers to breed or show. But the health risk always present.

My preference is breeders. But I research them just as much as the breed itself. References, owners etc. But I'm only looking for a pet so, papers mean squat to me.

This house has both. A rescue mutt and an adolescent pure bread boxer. The mutt is better behaved and easier to manage. The pure bread is work but, the work was well known before hand. High energy, slower maturity rate than others.

We love them both and enjoy them equally.

Last edited:
Many people don't realize that purebred dogs have been made by humans for a very long time, much longer than most other animals of any domestication, and it has led to some very significant health issues in many breeds. From respiratory problems to hip dysplasia to epilepsy to syringomyelia (too small a skull for the brain), and a ton of other things. I'd recommend doing some research of whatever breed one is interested in, reading and decide for onself. Some breeds are better than others. Mixed breeds do tend to be much healthier than purebreds.

OP's specific breed question for health issues can be found here. http://www.petmd.com/dog/breeds/c_dg_german_shorthaired_pointer

It's a very active dog. Better be ready to devote to lots of exercise if you want to be fair to the animal. http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/germanshorthairedpointers.html

As for temperament, it is much more about nurture than nature. IMO I've found purebred animals generally get an advantage because of the added nurture aspect for them when with reputable breeders. But if you get a puppy early it won't matter significantly whether purebred or mixed breed as it will be you who leads the interaction which leads to overall temperament.

Some basic research and understanding will lead to a good and happy pet dog. A dog is a lot of work though so don't be a bad dog owner.

Last edited:
For the OP.

German Shorthaired Pointer Club Of Canada which has a rescue section and a breeder section:

http://gspcanada.com/rescue.html

Pointer Rescue group Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/PointingDogRescueCanada

Some great resources for your friend to check out on these two sites.

Any update on which way your friend is leaning?

Don't forget some training regardless. We took Lucy to McCann's in Flamborough which has been around a long time. Since then there are more options out there. With Buddy our adopted Pug he came pretty well trained and it was more the acclimating process which took time. With Lucy we ended up doing three different "grades" with her and even tried some agility but alas she had bad subluxing patelas which nixed that as a career option for her. Even with all of that work choosing a breeder and talking to countless people Purebreds are generally overbred and each breed has their issues. Lucy had horrible boughts with backward sneezes. Buddy (our adopted Pug) has a less flat face and a longer tongue. He fares much better in the heat than Lucy ever did and the couple of times he has had a backward sneeze he snaps out of it in seconds whereas Lucy's backward sneezes went on for quite awhile and we had a basket of tricks we used to stop them.

I have had both...

Our previous Pug was Lucy who we were lucky lived to 12 very loved years with us. We spent two years researching breeders and met her uncle and aunt and decided to get her from a particular breeder.

-By one year old she had two different Opthomologists who managed to save her eye. For the rest of her life it was constant checkups and daily eyedrops.
-Multiple episodes of knee problems.
-Allergies and hot spots.
-Tons of "backward sneezes" which is known for bracheocephalic dogs.
-Cancer diagnosis at age 9 which led to a few surgeries and then we decided to put her on good pain management and just loved the snot out of her until we lost her.

So... We lost Lucy last January, then my Father-In-Law, then several aunts, my wife got diagnosed with M.S. etc. Could not stand the way things were going. Lucy often attended "PugALug" events so I started to watch the dogs which came into the system.

This poor guy was put into rescue and stayed in this box the entire first day. The story broke my heart because I felt the same way at the time. I had followed his journey from when they first talked about this incoming gentle giant (as far as Pugs go he is huge; especially compared to Lucy who was tiny):

So, I put in the application with references etc and we were lucky enough to get chosen for a home visit and ultimately he became our dog when the adoption became finalized.

This big fella was a beacon of light in what was a dark year:

He took his time getting used to us and it took a good 8 months for him to really be "ours". I had no idea what his words were for going to the bathroom etc.

I have all of his vet records but I have no idea who bred him etc. He was 8 when we got him and I always told him that he was "8 and great" and now he is "9 and fine". Poor bugger had fleas twice in his life and was mauled by another dog at 5 and almost lost his eye. Expensive eye drops again and I watch that eye which is probably 90% blind like a hawk. Guy is robust though. Has allergies but we have learned a lot from them.

I look forward to getting home from work every day so I can spend a couple hours just chilling with him. He actually loves other dogs even though he was badly mauled. Just loves dogs and children. So... We would love to get him a buddy but the ongoing debate. I would love to adopt another dog. My wife wants another black Pug puppy... Gah... I hated the puppy training. Multiple grades of dog school which was enjoyable and every progression Lucy made was something to celebrate. Then again... It sure is nice to give a good dog a good home and just have them settle in. I can't fix the crap that happened in this Pug's life before we adopted him; but we sure can make his golden years as good as they can be.

There are lots of lovable mutts out there who need good homes. However, there are also a lot of breed specific rescues and there are amazing dogs in these places needing homes. One of the supervisors at my work lost his Newfoundlander and adopted one from "NewFriends" or something like that which is a Newfoundlander rescue. He also rescued a Burmese Mountain Dog from a Burmese rescue group. Great way to have your cake and eat it too. Get the breed you want and you have an idea going in what their health situation is.

I know that Buddy will not be with us super long but I know to value and treasure every moment with him. When Lucy got her cancer diagnosis I made a point to enjoy every moment with her. Tears flow easily if I linger on her pictures too long but the healing is coming along.

A puppy is no guarantee of a long life with a dog. I have seen a lot of people lose dogs at a young age due to some weird genetic issue or something or other. At least we got 12 years with Lucy. Sad how many dogs die before 5 (although I see a lot less of that with the mutts).
Great story,rescue will be where my next comes from .the need to adopt is in need also.

A friend is looking to get a German Shorthaired Pointer, which brings the discussion of adopting (if he can find one) vs buying from a breeder.

From an animal-lover's perspective, I know I'd adopt, but the friend is insisting that he will be spending the next 10+ years with the dog, so better get an animal that has no issues(?).

What do you guys think is the right way to go?

Tell your friend to take a look at some of the SPCA and Humane society shelters FIRST. You would be astounded at how many pure-bred dogs there are there. The usual scenario with dogs is that a young couple buys one, then has to leave their house either because of a lost job, marriage breakup, or just moving on and can't take the pet with them. So...off to the shelter with hit because nobody wants it. Sad but true.

You can buy from a breeder, but my experience is that the breeders will sell you the junk they have on hand and keep the best examples from a litter for shows, more breeding or very high pricing to other breeders.

I have walked into shelters and seen year-old dogs that are beautiful pure breds. It's amazing what goes on in our society.

Because cats are better than dogs and deserved to be treated as such.
Only if it's a Harley Davidson cat!

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

I'm wondering why people walk cats with a leash like a dog?

I bet there's a joke in there about chasing pussy but this is a serious thread. No joke.

We are in the process of dog 'shopping' right now. We're a bigger dog family and there are lots of adopters available, but the last thing we want is to bring home a dog that doesnt fit in, there are two cats here.
We've had a papered lab that cost us just under 20k in the 11 yrs he lived, 3 ACL surgeries got us to 9K in the first 5 yrs. His mixed breed 'sister' that was here at the same time cost us nothing but food and treats. So much for purebred...
We'd like to adopt and skip the puppy stage, and be good citizens. I've looked into the adoption paperwork, I could get a small child from eastern europe with less effort.

We are in the process of dog 'shopping' right now. We're a bigger dog family and there are lots of adopters available, but the last thing we want is to bring home a dog that doesnt fit in, there are two cats here.
We've had a papered lab that cost us just under 20k in the 11 yrs he lived, 3 ACL surgeries got us to 9K in the first 5 yrs. His mixed breed 'sister' that was here at the same time cost us nothing but food and treats. So much for purebred...
We'd like to adopt and skip the puppy stage, and be good citizens. I've looked into the adoption paperwork, I could get a small child from eastern europe with less effort.

It's insane getting a dog from some places

It's insane getting a dog from some places
This is true. When we adopted Buddy the process was very comprehensive. Even though the home visit went well and the representative knew it would be a good fit we still had to observe the 48 hour cooling off period.

It is like one extreme or the other. You have these awful Puppy Mills where the dogs are barely a commodity. Then at the other extreme you have rescue groups who care about the dogs so much that people who would make great owners get rejected because the requirements can be over the top. I essentially wrote.an essay on the application to get Buddy talking about our life with Lucy etc. You have to be really committed to adopt a dog from a breed specific rescue because they vet the applicants to a crazy extent. Yet, getting an animal from the pound is fairly straightforward.

This is true. When we adopted Buddy the process was very comprehensive. Even though the home visit went well and the representative knew it would be a good fit we still had to observe the 48 hour cooling off period.

It is like one extreme or the other. You have these awful Puppy Mills where the dogs are barely a commodity. Then at the other extreme you have rescue groups who care about the dogs so much that people who would make great owners get rejected because the requirements can be over the top. I essentially wrote.an essay on the application to get Buddy talking about our life with Lucy etc. You have to be really committed to adopt a dog from a breed specific rescue because they vet the applicants to a crazy extent. Yet, getting an animal from the pound is fairly straightforward.

We looked at getting a dog from our local spca on their application they wanted permission to do a home inspection

Toronto Animal Services - adoption fees are 1/3 of what many rescue places want, and the application process was simply come in with every member of your family including other pets to fill out a brief questionnaire and to see how they mix with the dog to be adopted. I was in and out with my last one in about an hour, maybe hour and a half including do a walk with my then dog and the adopted dog to see how they behaved together.

I was lucky though. I wanted a doberman again because we've had them for years and find them to be a good fit energy and cleanliness wise in our home

Lately though it seems like many of the stray and lost dobermans that end up with Toronto Animal Services get scooped up by Ontario Doberman Rescue even before they get offered for adoption to the general public. Of course when that happens, adoption prices triple and you get that (imo) overly-onerous adoption process. It's more than a bit disappointing.

Last edited:
We looked at getting a dog from our local spca on their application they wanted permission to do a home inspection
Well that was certainly true with Buddy. Very thorough which I didn't mind because I knew they were looking after the welfare of the dog.

$300 for adoption fee was more than reasonable to me. A lot of the Pugs that come into that rescue end up running vet bills in the thousands before they get adopted. Even Buddy probably had over $1000 in vet bills as there had been some neglect from his last caretaker.

Of course we have spent more. Tyroid testing showed that he had a hypoactive tyroid and medication plus blood testing has reduced his shedding to about 20% of what it was and that combined with some medicated cream has cleared up his skin. Poor guy had black skin which drove him crazy. Now his skin has all cleared up and he does not cry and scratch himself like crazy anymore. ???

I adopted the Shepherd from the London Humane Society I posted above. Fee was $250. A home inspection was logistically off the table. Questionnaire/essay was comprehensive. I think they let the home inspection slide because of what was on the questionnaire though. When I told the vet I had a park + ravine 2 doors from my house she said "I know where you live. I'm from Waterdown and did my internship at your vet."

Not exactly as advertised. Good with children and other dogs (sorta). Sucks at fetch. Would rather play MINE!

IMG_0024_zpspyqhquhb.jpg

Last edited:
I adopted the Shepherd from the London Humane Society I posted above. Fee was $250. A home inspection was logistically off the table. Questionnaire/essay was comprehensive. I think they let the home inspection slide because of what was on the questionnaire though. When I told the vet I had a park + ravine 2 doors from my house she said "I know where you live. I'm from Waterdown and did my internship at your vet."

Not exactly as advertised. Good with children and other dogs (sorta). Sucks at fetch. Would rather play MINE!

IMG_0024_zpspyqhquhb.jpg
Way to go! I thought that was beautiful looking dog. I go to Waterdown all the time (I was at Christie Conservation Area today). If you ever want a meet and greet with our Pug Buddy let me know. He is super chill which works well with nervous or uncertain dogs. Buddy will get growled or barked at and he just lies down.

not being cavalier, i really dont care what the adoption fee is if the dog is right for us. and a home inspection is no problem , we meet all the requirements with large and secure, and designated dog space.
I get the adoption folks want whats perfect, but they seem a bit over the top.
We'll try to be the right people , but in the end if its not working I'll go to a sporting dog breeder and see about another lab, a good "gun dog" is in the 3k range , and we dont hunt anymore. but you get want you want mostly

Back
Top Bottom