Abs | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Abs

i have zero abs bike time, do have some big rigs time tho,

when there is snow & it is slick, the only way you can start out or move is spinning the rears, more often than not

you can't even use a traction controlled truck in those conditions, try to get going from any snowed in (& doesn't take much) spot,

or can easily end up unable to move forward pft pft pft (air system) pft at any time, from a stop cos of tc

same deal can come up braking where about all you get is pft pft pft,

shoulda said given a choice, i'm good with the good ol' days,

on lotsa cars, any abs isuues gets you non abs,

abs & tc can also bring on huge maintenance/money issues & be a royal pia to fix, to say the least..

but prob way better overall for most, as far as safety goes,

dunno what the story is these days mixing max performance with abs or tc, sounds like a mixed bag of .....

Very little of that applies to a bike. As far as performance goes, there's a reason why everyone uses it. On a 600 TC isn't really necessary IMO but on a 1000 it can make a difference. I've ridden both 600/1000 with and without TC but mostly only on the track.

Very little of that applies to a bike. As far as performance goes, there's a reason why everyone uses it. On a 600 TC isn't really necessary IMO but on a 1000 it can make a difference. I've ridden both 600/1000 with and without TC but mostly only on the track.

what's the story at the highest levels of bike racing? GP, isle of man (new current stuff)?

performance ain't max performance, whatever they are using, the bikes are still getting away &
dumped

eitherway, i'm good with or prefer old school stuff..

Last edited:
what's the story at the highest levels of bike racing? GP, isle of man (new current stuff)?

performance ain't max performance, whatever they are using, the bikes are still getting away &
dumped

In the movie Faster there was one crash where they said another bike got too close to the one that crashed and cut the rear wheel speed sensor. This resulted in total failure of the TC system. Rider crashed horribly at the next turn, as far as I remember. Think he might've died but I don't recall (there were many injuries in that movie).

dumped

Current GP bikes are extremely reliant on their traction-control systems. Current superbikes, almost as much. They ordinarily do not use ABS - but the circumstances involved in roadracing aren't the circumstances that ABS was primarily designed for.

dumped

I don't really understand what you think "max performance is". Yes they hit the ground, that's what happens when you exceed the limits of the bike/tire/rider. They're also breaking lap records therefore going faster.

They are making the electronics better so that they're unnoticeable when they intervene. I don't hear or feel my TC/wheelie control kicking in unless I really try to make it happen. Riding relatively normal the other weekend I didn't engage TC (that I noticed) or ABS and I was grabbing pretty decent handfuls of front brake to try the new braking setup. I see where it could come in hand and I really think that you would never even notice you had the abs until you were in a situation where it saved your bacon.

In the movie Faster there was one crash where they said another bike got too close to the one that crashed and cut the rear wheel speed sensor. This resulted in total failure of the TC system. Rider crashed horribly at the next turn, as far as I remember. Think he might've died but I don't recall (there were many injuries in that movie).

That was Marquez hitting Danny Pedrosa, his teammate. Neither rider died but Danny did have a very big highside. When you open the throttle to 100% at the apex of a corner because you had electronic aid the corner before it's different then using the electronics as a safety feature.

That was Marquez hitting Danny Pedrosa, his teammate. Neither rider died but Danny did have a very big highside. When you open the throttle to 100% at the apex of a corner because you had electronic aid the corner before it's different then using the electronics as a safety feature.
My point was he was asking something about racing. I was saying these features are very important in racing as that relatively minor failure (IMO) resulted in a horrible crash.

Of course I never understand what that guy is asking/saying in his posts lol.

My point was he was asking something about racing. I was saying these features are very important in racing as that relatively minor failure (IMO) resulted in a horrible crash.

Of course I never understand what that guy is asking/saying in his posts lol.

ahhh gotcha.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...perienced-Honda-Dealer-to-Repair-C-ABS-System

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...C-ABS-System&p=2461496&viewfull=1#post2461496

Welcome to the world of ABS repair.
I have had my 1990 BMW since 2004. It had previously been a police bike.
When the lads at the police garage removed the sirens, radios and strobes before it was auctioned, they also cut the ABS connections.
(the wires connecting the control module to the ABS sensors).
I have been searching since I got the bike for a BMW tech who knows ABS-1.
It seems they are all retired or passed away.
While out touring, I will even stop in at BMW motorcycle shops and talk to the guys about it.
They just shake their heads and explain they don't even have the manual for ABS-1 anymore.

Last edited:
Brakes still work though, just not the early ABS, or technicians don't have the skills for then. But, don't ever ride with CVMG, or purchase a 5+ year old bike, if you're thinking very far down those lines.

Snipping wires in a computerized system is akin to hitting a carburetor with a sledgehammer ... it's gonna break stuff and it's not gonna work afterward.

That BMW's old ABS system is now obsolete and hardly anyone knows how to fix it any more is no different from mechanics not knowing how to work on carburetors and (even worse!) mechanical fuel injection any more.

Try finding anyone who knows how to fix Bosch K-Jetronic CIS fuel injection.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by yodude

dumped

Current GP bikes are extremely reliant on their traction-control systems. Current superbikes, almost as much. They ordinarily do not use ABS - but the circumstances involved in roadracing aren't the circumstances that ABS was primarily designed for.

Last edited:
You would be wrong..same rider, same bike, same track and pro rider can get close to the ABS stopping distance in the dry. Anything wet ....fugedaboudit. Any average rider ....fugedaboudit wet or dry.

This is the same combined ABS on my CBF1000.

[video=youtube;X6kO6ltk3a0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6kO6ltk3a0[/video]

The only thing you might have "heard" is for ABS on adventure bikes and yes indeed it's problematic off pavement. You got a Harley scrabbler in mind??

that was incredible, what a huge difference between the guy who was a pro racer, vs the rest....

I knew pros are faster, didnt know they were also better brakers somehow...

I guess they're pros for a reason

They are used to riding right at the traction limit wet or dry ....but even then ...the ABS was better.

For the average rider....get ABS.

dont waste your typing

I can't understand his posts. It's like he's constantly high or something.

abs is for babies

So how much experience do you have with pushing these machines to limits? Care to share videos?

Riders like you are more often than not have a mouth and ego bigger than their actual skill level. Prove me wrong. And just for the record, none of the bikes I've owned have had ABS or TCS but I'm not stupid enough to not realize when they could've saved me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom