A DIY Garage and Winter storage/ work space | GTAMotorcycle.com

A DIY Garage and Winter storage/ work space

Hey guys! My friend and I have been going over the idea of making a DIY garage and meet-up lounge in the Toronto area for a while now, and finally we decided it would be time in 2015. We see this as a unique opportunity to bring together the love for all that is motor related in a comfortable and well equipped space within the community. Right now we are in the late planning to early implementation phases and we would love to hear some feedback going forward from the local enthusiast community. Planned opening will be later spring or early summer! Location TBD.

To tell you a bit about the planned shop: we are planning 3 bays for cars and 2 for motorcycles. We also plan to have an enclosed area for detailing with all the fixings. Each bay will be equipped with a full toolkit, air tools, work bench and some sort of media browsing device for your articles/YouTube. Specialized tools will be rented separately. The emphasis will be on bringing together the enthusiast community in an environment that encourages sharing your skills, knowledge, and in the successes of each others' projects.

Visit our website, register with us and give us a little information about yourselves at. This way we can get a better understanding of our potential customers and we’d love to hear some feedback on what you guys think of this, any questions or concerns and where your interest level would lie. Cheers!!

Grease Monkey Garage

Thanks all,

Grease Monkey Garage Team

Looks like an interesting idea. What happens when someone gets stuck & can't finish the job in 4 hrs?

Location?

We are currently browsing for available spaces in Scarborough, Markham, Missiassauga, and Concord regions. This is where your feedback is welcomed... Based on signups, we are trying to figure out where the majority of interest is located and will hopefully cater to the majority.

Hi! Thanks for the feedback! First, we believe that some of the problems that get people stuck on are because of inadequate tools and knowledge. We will offer tools that will likely not be in the regular hobbyists tool chest, as well as provide free access to repair databases online for professional instructional videos. Moreover, we are trying to create partnerships with on-call mechanics that can be sourced to help out as a last resort. For bikes especially, we can also offer transport of your bike to your mechanic of choice, should you want that. This would not be an option for cars since we have no plan for a tow truck.

What about insurance to cover injuries? People not lifting cars properly in the bays, a car could fall on someone / cause some serious damage? Liabilities?.....

What about insurance to cover injuries? People not lifting cars properly in the bays, a car could fall on someone / cause some serious damage? Liabilities?.....

Hi! This has been a regular response and as of now, still a bit of a wild card for us. We have a request for quote out with a few insurance companies and will probably get something back this week. In speaking with a broker, he didn't seem alarmed about the potential liability... As long as waivers are provided, cameras and security in place, the rest is pretty standard general liability coverage as for most businesses. Thanks!

Welcome!
Wheelie.gif

Have you looked into insurance ? You might not be able to get coverage. I would look into that first, then get all your legal stuff in order so you don't get sued.
A simple job someone cleaning there chain in your facility using a rag while bike is in gear , looses his hand and your responsible.
When I had my shop NO customers were insured in the workshop area, office only.
Your going to spend a lot of money first few years and you need to take a big step back and think if the potential to turn a profit is there, you need to make sure you and your partner can get payed and make a living.

I started my shop from scratch after 5 years ,had 4 employes and repaired and painted over 15 cars per week. It took 3 years before I made more then 25k a year. It was tough. But when I sold it I was making a lot of money.
Talk to ANYONE who has gone into business for themselves, rule number 1 to ANY business is no partners. They don't work, they never will. I had one for 3 years and when he left business boomed. FRIENDS are the worst partners because when it goes south (and it will) you loose your friendship along with your business.

I've seen all kinda of do it yourself shops come and go. There simply just too much overhead and your pretty much dealing with people who can't afford to have a licensed guy do the job. Hence why they go to shops like that.
There's also serious bills that come with a shop
Heat
Water
Hydro
Rent
taxes
Suppliers
My overhead with only 2 guys before I got payed was 12 k per month.
Another thing, don't ever EVER put your house on any loans or business debts, keep it all separate.
Sorry about my long post

Last edited:
Hi! This has been a regular response and as of now, still a bit of a wild card for us. We have a request for quote out with a few insurance companies and will probably get something back this week. In speaking with a broker, he didn't seem alarmed about the potential liability... As long as waivers are provided, cameras and security in place, the rest is pretty standard general liability coverage as for most businesses. Thanks!

Doesn't mean you won't get sued. Insurance might decide what "happened under those circumstances are not covered"
they find loopholes and screw you at any givin time, hell some business policy's have 30k deductable lol

What about people people bringing in scrap, making a mess, breaking tools/parts and taking forever to do a job or parts to come in, or "I don't have the money right now" but the bike doesn't have wheels, forks or a swingarm on and is strapped to a bench. Complaining when you show them the hourly bill or refusing to pay and leaving their junk there. Not to mention that they're probably going to make something much worse (expensive) before calling in the mechanic, then if they had left it alone in the first place. Do you know much the tools in a shop cost to not have to say "we can't to that here"? Its going to take a loooong time to pay just those off, if you ever do. In short, its a bad idea.

Last edited:
I Love your entrepreneurial spirit. But , bad idea. Take your smarts and money and come up with an alternate idea. This will not fly and will not make you money. Go back to the drawing board.
i have a bit of a car and bike collection and I would never use this. I can't imagine who your target customer is.

Have you looked into insurance ? You might not be able to get coverage. I would look into that first, then get all your legal stuff in order so you don't get sued.
A simple job someone cleaning there chain in your facility using a rag while bike is in gear , looses his hand and your responsible.
When I had my shop NO customers were insured in the workshop area, office only.
Your going to spend a lot of money first few years and you need to take a big step back and think if the potential to turn a profit is there, you need to make sure you and your partner can get payed and make a living.

I started my shop from scratch after 5 years ,had 4 employes and repaired and painted over 15 cars per week. It took 3 years before I made more then 25k a year. It was tough. But when I sold it I was making a lot of money.
Talk to ANYONE who has gone into business for themselves, rule number 1 to ANY business is no partners. They don't work, they never will. I had one for 3 years and when he left business boomed. FRIENDS are the worst partners because when it goes south (and it will) you loose your friendship along with your business.

I've seen all kinda of do it yourself shops come and go. There simply just too much overhead and your pretty much dealing with people who can't afford to have a licensed guy do the job. Hence why they go to shops like that.
There's also serious bills that come with a shop
Heat
Water
Hydro
Rent
taxes
Suppliers
My overhead with only 2 guys before I got payed was 12 k per month.
Another thing, don't ever EVER put your house on any loans or business debts, keep it all separate.
Sorry about my long post
I don't know why I found your post so intriguing but it was. And I have no clue/interest In business but damn that was a10/10 response. Kudos for trying to help the guy.

I remember this idea starting up in Calgary long before I came back in 2008. I guess it must be a horrid idea if they're still in business. :rolleyes:

This is one... there are others. There was even one in Edmonton with a paint booth and everything needed to use it.

http://www.u-wrench.ca/u-wrench.asp

So it's just there years later in a market like alberta if it's not making something? I see your side of things as I too have had my own shop but I think if done properly someone could make a go of this. I definitely agree though it's not a open the doors and boom we're making money kind of idea

Perhaps a more unique/long-term gameplan utilizing the same type of building type/location, would be garage condos. But those are close to nice tracks..

Perhaps a more unique/long-term gameplan utilizing the same type of building type/location, would be garage condos. But those are close to nice tracks..

Some of those are pretty nice looking, but paying hundreds of thousands for a place to keep a toy? No thanks.

People gonna get hurt, equipment gonna get lost/stolen/broke. Most people shouldt work on there bikes. 1 mistake could kill you or your buddy

Back
Top Bottom