2023 MotoGP Discussion (No Links - Contains Spoilers!) | GTAMotorcycle.com

2023 MotoGP Discussion (No Links - Contains Spoilers!)

Chaos

New thread for a new season!

2023 Teams and Riders

Factory Aprilia:
Aleix Espargaro (1 MotoGP win) - RS-GP Factory
Maverick Vinales (9 MotoGP wins; 4 Moto2 wins; Moto3 champion) - RS-GP Factory

RNF Aprilia:
Miguel Oliviera (5 MotoGP wins; 2 Moto2 wins; 6 Moto3 wins)- RS-GP (22 spec)
Raul Fernandez (8 Moto2 wins; 2 Moto3 wins) - RS-GP (22 spec)

Factory Ducati:
Pecco Bagnaia (MotoGP champion; Moto2 champion) - GP23 Factory
Enea Bastianini (4 MotoGP wins; Moto2 champion) - GP23 Factory

Pramac Ducati:
Jorge Martin (1 MotoGP win; 2 Moto2 wins; Moto3 champion) - GP23 Factory
Johann Zarco (2x Moto2 champion) - GP23 Factory

Gresini Ducati:
Alex Marquez (Moto2 champion; Moto3 champion) - GP22
Fabio Di Giannantonio (1 Moto2 win; 2 Moto3 wins) - GP22

VR46 Ducati:
Luca Marini (6 Moto2 wins) - GP22
Marco Bezzecchi (3 Moto2 wins; 3 Moto3 wins) - GP22

Factory Honda:
Marc Marquez (6x MotoGP champion; Moto2 champion, 125cc champion) - RC213V Factory
Joan Mir (MotoGP champion; Moto3 champion) - RC213V Factory

LCR Honda:
Alex Rins (5 MotoGP wins; 4 Moto2 wins; 8 Moto3 wins) - RC213V Factory
Taka Nakagami (2 Moto2 wins) - RC213V Factory

Factory KTM:
Brad Binder (2 MotoGP wins; 8 Moto2 wins; Moto3 champion) - RC16 Factory
Jack Miller (4 MotoGP wins; 6 Moto3 wins) - RC16 Factory

Tech3 GasGas (KTM):
Agusto Fernandez (Moto2 champion) - RC16 Factory
Pol Espargaro (Moto2 champion) - RC16 Factory

Factory Yamaha:
Fabio Quartararo (MotoGP champion) - M1 Factory
Franco Morbidelli (3 MotoGP wins; Moto2 champion) - M1 Factory

Very curious to see how Bestia does with full factory support this year.

A lot of folks have painted him as the second coming while criticizing Pecco for not capitalizing on the package more. IMO, there's not a lot of pressure on you when you're the underdog. Different story when you're leading the championship and have more to lose.

We'll see.

Very curious to see how Bestia does with full factory support this year.

A lot of folks have painted him as the second coming while criticizing Pecco for not capitalizing on the package more. IMO, there's not a lot of pressure on you when you're the underdog. Different story when you're leading the championship and have more to lose.

We'll see.

Only time will tell! It's probably clear though that Bastianini is not going to defer to be a #2 the way Miller did last year.

So, the silly season rumour mill has already begun for 2024. Rumour is that Jorge Martin is in talks with Yamaha after losing the factory seat to Bastianini.

Which has a cascade effect of:
  • Bezzechi moving to Pramac
  • Morbidelli moving to VR46
There is still no room for Celestino Vietti in this arrangement; although I suppose if Morbidelli looks terrible, and Vietti starts off very strong in Moto2, they could opt for him, leaving Morbidelli without a ride.

Shakedown test at Sepang is complete, first full test of the year starts on Friday. They actually discouraged journalists from going to the shakedown, and KTM even didn't use a transponder so nobody else could see their lap times. Sounds like the most obvious change is everyone now has a ground effect lower fairing (wider and designed to create a low pressure area closest to the ground to aid grip when leaned over), copying the one Aprilia introduced last year. Otherwise, the lap times are mostly meaningless, as this was all about getting the new bikes as sorted as possible before the racers get on them.

It's going to be an unpredictable year, as the sprint race format really shortens the time available to get a full race setup. Even precious FP4 has been moved to a time where temps could be very different from the race, so getting race simulations done AND ensuring a decent time attack lap to get into Q2 will be quite a challenge. I'm really not a fan of the sprint race and I think it's a bandaid covering up some more serious tech issues and problems with the now ancient tires, but it will definitely make the racing less consistent (though likely not closer or more exciting) with teams who can find a good baseline fast having an advantage.

Last bit of news is Ken Kawauchi making the jump from Suzuki to HRC. It's pretty unusual for Japanese tech staff and engineers to change companies, but I think illustrates how unusual things are both at Suzuki and Honda. Suzuki has almost entirely walked from any two-wheel racing on a corporate level, and HRC is so lost that they've had to hire from outside, something almost unprecedented in a company that takes great pride in internal development. On track, this is probably great news for Mir and Rins, who have a level of familiarity with Kawauchi that Marquez doesn't. It'll be interesting to see how their development goes and whether they continue to be all-in on Marc or start to move on to a more universal setup...

Day one of the Sepang test in the books:

It's easy to read way too much into fastest lap times in testing, but it can show who is settled and who is lost. Sounds like the Italian factories are working on evolution of their packages, while the rest are more on the revolution end in various ways with lots of new bits. Yamaha has been up there on top speed, though Crutchlow said in the shakedown that the speed trap was actually in the braking zone, so maybe not proof of much.

Still, it's great to see the riders on their new machines, and March 24th can't come fast enough...

I know no one wins 'testing' but so far, looks like Ducati is essentially leaving things alone - a GP22 is tops, but all the GP23s are right there, which leads me to believe they did not too anything radically different. They are dominating the top of the charts.

The gap between the factory and satellite Aprilias is interesting.

I want to see Franco Morbidelli do well - Yamaha is going to look for any possible reason to sign someone else, so even for testing to be faster than FQ will stave the bulls off for a day.

I know no one wins 'testing' but so far, looks like Ducati is essentially leaving things alone - a GP22 is tops, but all the GP23s are right there, which leads me to believe they did not too anything radically different. They are dominating the top of the charts.

No surprise considering how dominant the bike was last year. If they hadn't screwed up their testing so badly by introducing so much new stuff in 2022, the title would have been won four rounds earlier, I think. I can't imagine they'll make that mistake this year.

The gap between the factory and satellite Aprilias is interesting.

It's hard to know what they were working on, though. If you don't do a time attack with fresh soft tires at the right temperature at Sepang, you'll be down the charts. Not to mention the Aprilia is new to almost everyone at the RNF team, not just the riders, so they have a mountain of baseline data to collect. That doesn't leave much time to worry about topping the classification. Vinales, on the other hand, is always near the top in testing. If only he was better at translating that to Sunday (and Saturday now).

I want to see Franco Morbidelli do well - Yamaha is going to look for any possible reason to sign someone else, so even for testing to be faster than FQ will stave the bulls off for a day.

Add the pressure of not having satellite data to work with, and Frankie has a lot on his plate. Assuming the rumour that VR46 is moving back to Yamaha in 2024 is true ( FIM president: VR46 ‘will switch from Ducati to Yamaha’ in 2024 ), his best bet is probably to make the switch to that team next year with Bezzecchi either moving to the Factory Yamaha or staying with Ducati on a different team. Yamaha is going to want to keep the pipeline open for young talent, and by modern MotoGP standards, Morbido is an old man...

Add the pressure of not having satellite data to work with, and Frankie has a lot on his plate. Assuming the rumour that VR46 is moving back to Yamaha in 2024 is true ( FIM president: VR46 ‘will switch from Ducati to Yamaha’ in 2024 ), his best bet is probably to make the switch to that team next year with Bezzecchi either moving to the Factory Yamaha or staying with Ducati on a different team. Yamaha is going to want to keep the pipeline open for young talent, and by modern MotoGP standards, Morbido is an old man...

IfV46 does go to Yamaha (though, given the current performance climate, I think he'd want to stay on the Ducati until Yamaha shows serious performance increases), I can see Ducati wanting to keep Bezzechi. I don't think they are as bullish on Marini. Despite Morbidelli's very poor performance last year, he is still a multiple race winner.

I can see VR46 giving him another chance, unless Celestino Vietti immediately kicks ass in Moto2 this year. Interesting though - I have to imagine VR would want no less than factory equipment with factory support to move, but that then gives Yamaha power to sign and place riders there (ala KTM and Aprilia). I think VR still envisions his team to have italian riders under his tutelage. Not sure VR is powerful enough to have it both ways.

IfV46 does go to Yamaha (though, given the current performance climate, I think he'd want to stay on the Ducati until Yamaha shows serious performance increases), I can see Ducati wanting to keep Bezzechi. I don't think they are as bullish on Marini. Despite Morbidelli's very poor performance last year, he is still a multiple race winner.

I can see VR46 giving him another chance, unless Celestino Vietti immediately kicks ass in Moto2 this year. Interesting though - I have to imagine VR would want no less than factory equipment with factory support to move, but that then gives Yamaha power to sign and place riders there (ala KTM and Aprilia). I think VR still envisions his team to have italian riders under his tutelage. Not sure VR is powerful enough to have it both ways.

There will be a huge push from Dorna (who basically fund the satellite teams anyway) to get another team on Yamaha bikes, especially if this year plays out as it's looking like it might do with multiple Ducati podium lockouts. Nobody except Ducati and their teams will be happy if 8 of the top 10 are from one brand. So if Ducati gives up a team, it'll most likely be VR46, as Pramac isn't going anywhere, and Gresini seems to be settled. I think Yamaha would be happy to get Rossi's brand back, and also to get the inside track on his riders, but they'd have to change how they deal with the satellite team to more than just irritating customers, as they historically have.

I also heard somewhere that there's a very good chance of Martin making the switch to Yamaha next year, which would open the door for Ducati to put Bezzechi onto that Pramac. Morbido could do a year on the VR46 to help with the transition to Yamaha, and then give way to Vietti in 2025. That's all a bit neat, though, and with so many competing agendas, unlikely to play out in such an obvious way.

Anyway, if Sepang is any indication, anyone not on a Ducati is going to struggle to win much this year and the title fight is probably between Bagnaia and Bastianini, with Martin as a wildcard if he can stay out of the gravel. Honda look super lost and are starting from scratch yet again, Yamaha is hoping their mysteriously slow lap times are a Sepang abberation, Aprilia needs more midrange and won't get the new motor until Portimao, and KTM is a mystery with potential improvement but still a long way from title contention. Each could squeak a result, especially with the sprint race madness, but I can't see any of them putting together a full season to challenge Ducati. I hope I'm wrong...

I hope that Miller will be a bit of enlightenment for KTM. He’s coming off a top of the class machine and will be able to provide direct input on how to improve their machine…
Aprilia I think is the wild card.. looks like they’ve got a great machine, but it’s going to rely on the riders to bring them home.
I would love to see them challenging Ducati in all points divisions.

There will be a huge push from Dorna (who basically fund the satellite teams anyway) to get another team on Yamaha bikes, especially if this year plays out as it's looking like it might do with multiple Ducati podium lockouts. Nobody except Ducati and their teams will be happy if 8 of the top 10 are from one brand. So if Ducati gives up a team, it'll most likely be VR46, as Pramac isn't going anywhere, and Gresini seems to be settled. I think Yamaha would be happy to get Rossi's brand back, and also to get the inside track on his riders, but they'd have to change how they deal with the satellite team to more than just irritating customers, as they historically have.

Yeah, Yamaha have never really been supportive of customer/satellite teams. I am dubious of their verbal willingness to change that. I guess we'll see how powerful the VR46 brand is.

I also heard somewhere that there's a very good chance of Martin making the switch to Yamaha next year, which would open the door for Ducati to put Bezzechi onto that Pramac. Morbido could do a year on the VR46 to help with the transition to Yamaha, and then give way to Vietti in 2025. That's all a bit neat, though, and with so many competing agendas, unlikely to play out in such an obvious way.

Yup. The rumour floating was: Martin to Yamaha; Bezzechi to Pramac; Morbidelli to VR46

Anyway, if Sepang is any indication, anyone not on a Ducati is going to struggle to win much this year and the title fight is probably between Bagnaia and Bastianini, with Martin as a wildcard if he can stay out of the gravel. Honda look super lost and are starting from scratch yet again, Yamaha is hoping their mysteriously slow lap times are a Sepang abberation, Aprilia needs more midrange and won't get the new motor until Portimao, and KTM is a mystery with potential improvement but still a long way from title contention. Each could squeak a result, especially with the sprint race madness, but I can't see any of them putting together a full season to challenge Ducati. I hope I'm wrong...

I have to believe that Ducati are going to dominate the sprint races where tires and fuel are less of an issue. The others will have a better chance in the races where tire wear and fuel become more of a factor - in theory anyway.

I am just a casual occasional fan and from my perspective with such massive presence everyone should cheer against Ducati.

Always rooting for the underdog - wishing my boy all the best!

1676993193458.png

I was a Pecco fan before he became WC, so I don't think it's bandwagon-jumping to root for him again.

Also, hoping Morbidelli can put together a good season once again. Cheering for him as well.

Curious to see if Yamaha can rise to the challenge. FQ rode heroically last season, despite the sh!t package he was given.

Looking forward to the first race!

yes, I am following El Diablo on sm as well and it's just impossible not to like this guy, great he is not a champ currently - rooting for him and blue moto come on top too :)

1676994769752.png

While that wing on the Yamaha is a particularly egregious example of function over form, aero is one of the few places left for innovation to happen in the sport. Unless they allow changes to the basic geometry of a motorcycle, there's not much more the factories can do with adding power or tuning the chassis and suspension. They're right up against the limits of the tires in the corners and physics (as far as flipping the bikes on acceleration or braking). Saying aero should be outright banned (as some journalists repeatedly do) will just mean stagnation of the technology side of the sport. And considering Quartararo's sudden leap up the timing charts today, it obviously works to make the bikes faster.

What I'd like to see is more work on the rules to minimise the disruption of airflow behind the bikes, as this currently makes a huge difference on tire temp, depending whether you're leading or following. My understanding is F1 has managed to get this under control somewhat with a very technical committee dedicated to adjusting aero rules with that specific goal in mind. If they can't figure out how to help Michelin develop new tires, at least they can help the tires to work more consistently in a variety of positions and conditions.

Also, this is looking like it's going to be a long year for anyone not cheering for Ducati. I think there's going to be multiple weekends where they lock out the top five. Considering Marini's pace in testing, there's not a single Ducati on the grid that isn't capable of winning a race. The only saving grace for the championship may be that the various Ducatis take points off each other. Still, considering the sheer volume of them, I'm a bit worried that this may become the Ducati Cup...

Back
Top Bottom