2016 gsx-r 1000 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2016 gsx-r 1000

One can hope.

200hp without the electronic aids? I dunno... I can tell you I turned off the TC etc. on the 2013 RSV4 a couple of times and uhm... turned them back on. LOL The bikes go mental at that power level when you twist the throttle to the stop, it's really difficult to use that kind of power outside of a closed race course with a street suspension setup.
Not that I would know but I would assume even with those electronics it's still a mild handful on a track? I think a lot of people don't comprehend what that kind of power/weight is like. I get bugged all the time that I'm on a 600. However in comparison to my old zx7s this thing is night and day better and faster. Took me a bit to wrap my brain around it.

Actually the 2013 is really easy to use the most of at the track. The TC/WC package works very well and the bike remains composed no matter how hard you use the throttle. If anything, it reminds me greatly of a 600 in that I can get on the power early, hard and the bike just squats and flings you out of the corner without much drama. Forget about tire life, as it will lay down big darkies down off all the corners with the TC turned down, but it sure works. I have plans to race a new RR in 2016 if I can put it together, as I really trust the chassis and engine package to do what I want. My 08 GSX-R is a real struggle to use by comparison and is definitely a handful. With the electronics turned all the way down, the 2013 RSV4 does get more lively and likes to hoist the front wheel, etc. much more... feels much more powerful than it does on higher settings as well, with them turned off I'm sure it would be a wild ride, lol

Haven't had a chance to try the RF on track yet. I may take Monday off and take it to Shannonville for a 7/10ths day and just enjoy the bike, nothing crazy. But I can tell you that it's a different animal at a 200hp+ rating. It accelerates like my race 1000 but seems even more urgent. Which is the point of the conversation, at 200hp+ the bikes are at a different level of performance and you want some kind of electronics leashing in the insanity. I've had the RF yank the front tire in third and fourth gear on its own, which is something the 2013 doesn't do with "only" 180hp. I don't much relish the idea of trying the RF with the nannies disabled, it's beastly. Hard to imagine that the race ECU + full system bumps power by about 15whp and broadens the already huge torque curve, what an animal.

The 08 Gsxr is still highly regarded as a potent race bike...in the right hands. Their current generation is still winning races and selling to the public.

I hope they update it sooner then later and I'm sure it'll have a good chassis mated with a decent motor/electronics package. It's been awhile since they've put out a "bad" bike but it's also been a long time since they've put out anything completely new.

For sure. I am putting in some effort to get my 08 to handle better. I've struggled with it every year I've owned it at tracks other than Mosport, where it seems at home. If I could get it to work at Shannonville like it works at CTMP I'd be in business.

GSX-R.com and Gixxer.com members are committing suicide. At least the stock is going the right way... slowly. Apparently Volkswagen owns 20%..they're going to want to see a profit. On the other hand, maybe Suzuki is sitting back and watching all the other companies duke it out... spending all their funds on R&D in this horsepower / electronic war. If they were smart, they would steal back what BMW stole from them after the playing field is leveled.

10ggwox.png

Last edited:
what would be the business case for spending a ton of money developing a new literbike for a tiny and dying market segment ??
suzuki probably earns more profit worldwide from one day of vstrom sales than aprilia makes in an entire year ...

toon526.gif

Last edited:
what would be the business case for spending a ton of money developing a new literbike for a tiny and dying market segment ??
suzuki probably earns more profit worldwide from one day of vstrom sales than aprilia makes in an entire year ...

toon526.gif
Good point, but I'm sure all those kids growing up on DRZ's are going to want to taste fast one day. Is there any proof that liter bikes are dying as a class or are you speculating? If they are dying why is there a six-way horsepower war going on?

Pluses and minuses is what I see. Same weight as S1000RR, R1 and RSV4, roughly... no more power but maybe the VVT will have a bigger effect than anticipated. Stone-age TC but who knows, it worked OK for the ZX10R the last few years. Not pretty... but the R1 is fugly so whatevs. Already saying that it will be a price leader, so there's that...

I know I'll take flak for saying it but the new RSV4 is currently the bargain of the bunch, a grand+ cheaper than the R1, looks a load better IMHO, has all the electronics, top-shelf components and more motor than anything else near it in price except, maybe, the BMW. It's a whole new bike, it doesn't even sound exactly the same, 32mm triple offsets, different rake/trail, revised swingarm, revised swingarm geometry, different motor height, completely new motor right down to the cases and the parts supplier (Pankl), new fairing design (no need for double bubble now). Piaggio management are idiots for not shouting it from rooftop to rooftop. No surprise there. I'll step off the soapbox now.
I have a friend that works for an Aprilia dealership and he says they fall apart just sitting in the showroom and are even worse on the road. I have no real experience myself beyond my unreliable RS125. Although my RS125 only blew up once after much abuse and neglecting to do a piston change when I should have because Aprilia suggests a VERY optimistic change interval.

I have a friend that works for an Aprilia dealership and he says they fall apart just sitting in the showroom and are even worse on the road. I have no real experience myself beyond my unreliable RS125. Although my RS125 only blew up once after much abuse and neglecting to do a piston change when I should have because Aprilia suggests a VERY optimistic change interval.

Uhm... your friend is either lying or he isn't actually an Aprilia mechanic. :)

I have had 8 seasons with my Tuono now and not one major issue, despite beating on it mercilessly both on street and track. Change the oil about every 5K and that's about all I've done to it other than that time I crashed it on black ice... :( Three seasons with my 2013 RSV4 Factory, very minor warranty issue that was repaired free of charge and other than that... six track days, two trips to the Smoky Mountains, plenty of tomfoolery, no issues. My 2016 RF had under-torqued sprocket pins which were replaced free of charge (including shipping) and properly torqued to 35# rather than the 16# that Titex told Aprilia to torque them to... was a TSB released in August for the issue (my BST wheels had the same issue, guess they figure people are fitting these wheels to 125cc bikes or something?!)

These are pretty minor things. My GSX-R 750 needed two stators, a rectifier, TPS, clutch cable, shift rod sensor, etc. in the 4 years I owned it by comparison. It never went on track. I'd say that Aprilia is doing just fine.

Pics because the old girl deserves it.

20150515091153-318abf71-me.jpg

20150515092455-259511a8-me.jpg

Last edited:
[h=2]Suzuki GSX-R1000 L7 highlights[/h]
  • All-new 999cc engine
  • 200bhp | 82ftlb | 200kg (est)
  • All-new aluminium chassis
  • Showa BFF fork and BFRC shock
  • 10-level traction control
  • Quickshifter/autoblipper

FFS, When the hell will they update that design? Same with the R6. The only ones who have them beat in the "milk the design" segment is Porsche.

Suzuki has always given those component pictures as long as I can remember. I love 'em too.

Damn that looks good!
Love the lights. I secretly wished the indicator was integrated into the mirror, but that's a small fix

This is why I have a liking for Suzuki. Their problem solving has always been on par on how I would do things :
Their design team have pushed for engineering solutions to make the perfect sportsbike, rather than relying on electronics to solve engineering issues.

They have also always offer the best bang for the buck. Well done Suzuki

Back
Top Bottom