2014 shootout | GTAMotorcycle.com

2014 shootout

DaXx

OK ladies and gents question for all of you. I'm looking at buying a 14 supersport and want opinions between the big 4. Zx6r,r6,600rr, and gixxer6. I by no means am a race driver so I more then likely won't be hitting the rack any time soon, just looking for something more aggressive then my Katana. What are the pros and con's between the 4.

Thanks

OK ladies and gents question for all of you. I'm looking at buying a 14 supersport and want opinions between the big 4. Zx6r,r6,600rr, and gixxer6. I by no means am a race driver so I more then likely won't be hitting the rack any time soon, just looking for something more aggressive then my Katana. What are the pros and con's between the 4.

Thanks

R6 has been unchanged for a very long time (don't know the exact year); it has the most aggressive powerband (everything is in the higher RPMs).

GSXR600 has seen minor adjustments since it's the 05-07 version. Still the most comfy imo...there are also way too many of us lol

Don't know enough about the 600RR besides it's extremely smooth powerband.

ZX-6R, based on many reviews, is the best one. I've never ridden one but I noticed the hype increase after the ZX-10R was compared to the S1000RR (arguably the best based on reviews).

Read/watch some of the internet shootouts (motorcycle-usa, etc) and that will give you a basic understanding of pros/cons. Then go look at and sit on each one.

IF I was into SS's, and IF I was into the 600 class, I'd be looking at the Triumph 675.

I'm into naked litre twins though so you may want to ignore me. :)

i dont think there has been any changes to theses bikes from 2013 to 2014

[video=youtube;veXxpqE9yPg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veXxpqE9yPg[/video]

i dont think there has been any changes to theses bikes from 2013 to 2014

[video=youtube;veXxpqE9yPg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veXxpqE9yPg[/video]

Well, if you're gonna throw a twin into the mix...

Well, if you're gonna throw a twin into the mix...
personally, for a 600cc bike competition ide accept the ninja 636 because it is accepted in racing in the 600cc class but anything bigger...nope.
i dont see the 675 as a comparable bike to the 600. its right smack in the middle of the GSXR600 and GSXR750.
also from what ive heard the 675cc will cost the same to insure as the 750cc with state farm.
either way, they claim the GSXR600 wins, but ide still buy the CBR over it.

I've checked them all put prior to my last two gsxrs. The r6 by far is the most uncomfortable bike I've ever sat on. The ass is up higher and it has a rather aggressive feel to it. It also needs to be wound up to make its power. The cbr negative to me is when you sit on it the lovely new windscreen sit right in the middle of the instrument cluster making it tougher to see. While personally I love the triumph if you were to go that route I'd go gsxr 750. It's better in every way (many professional reviews back this claim up) although looks wise it wins hands down. So to me it would leave the ninja and the gsxr. I like that you "sit in" the suzuki as opposed to on it. It also has a factory slipper clutch, great brembos stock and is comfortable all day long. The rain mode set up is also a nice bonus. I'd do as said before and go check them all out. We all like different things. Also if you look around I believe Brampton powersports still has some 2013 gsxrs in stock.

Last edited:
personally, for a 600cc bike competition ide accept the ninja 636 because it is accepted in racing in the 600cc class but anything bigger...nope.
i dont see the 675 as a comparable bike to the 600. its right smack in the middle of the GSXR600 and GSXR750.
also from what ive heard the 675cc will cost the same to insure as the 750cc with state farm.
either way, they claim the GSXR600 wins, but ide still buy the CBR over it.

Do you have any idea what you're talking about? The 675's powerband puts it in the same category as the I-4 599cc engines. It just delivers it differently cause it's a triple.

Frankly, it's worth the extra money a year. Much better bike than any I-4 I've ridden. The only thing I'd give it up for would be a higher-cc Daytona or maybe a Tuono

In the 2013 shootout the only bike that doesn't belong is the 848, but what else are they gonna compare it to when the 1199 Pani is supposed to play with the I-4 999cc?

Last edited:
Macs.... In every day use is there more "power" with the triple? Performance wise I would assume it's relative to the 600 class?

Macs.... In every day use is there more "power" with the triple? Performance wise I would assume it's relative to the 600 class?

Absolutely, more usable power and more torque across the whole powerband, it's not a pig in traffic or low speed, shifts are nice and well-placed from stock gearing and the triple just sounds MEAN. You can feel the "awww yeah" from about 4000rpm all the way up to just before redline where it tapers off a little.

Performance wise it's a track monster, won't be winning any battles on the straightaway but if you do it right that won't be an issue.

I used to borrow an 05 R6 and an 06 GSXR600 before I bought the Daytona, and I can say from riding them the triple is more confident in a traffic/highway setting despite the more aggressive seating position (some hate it, I like it). Like when passing a transport in 5th gear, I know I'll have similar power from my cruising RPMs into my top HP range, whereas with the I-4s I'd want to drop a gear and scream by.

Being a relatively new rider myself (3 seasons) the torque alone is a selling point for me, the whole experience has ruined me for the "big 4"

Last edited:
Absolutely, more usable power and more torque across the whole powerband... (snip) ...the torque alone is a selling point for me

Exactly why I would go that route... but again, I favour twins so that makes sense to me.

I'd go for something more exotic, MV Agusta F3

Was surprised when I rode it and despite being a triple, it delivers power more like an I4. Uncomfortable as hell too. Would not buy.

[h=1]MCN Awards 2013: BEST SPORTS BIKE (MIDDLEWEIGHT)[/h]TRIUMPH DAYTONA 675R
Runner-up:
Kawasaki ZX-6R

When it comes down to it get what you like best and what you are most comfortable on.

Any of the big four will be a huge step up in performance coming off of a Katana. You can get as technical as you want comparing one bike to another, but bottom line is none of the big four make a bad 600ss. In the right hands, all four bikes would be very close in lap times etc around a track and in the hands of a road rider the actual limitations or differences in performance will probably never or barely be noticed.

My advice is simple. Go sit on all four. Which ever one feels the best under your butt is the one you should buy. Any one of them is way more bike than anyone needs or can use on the street.

Best thing to do is sit on all the bikes in your list. Find the best one that you like most, and base your choice off that.

well All that excitement about getting a New bike..and doesn't seem like i will be getting a 2014 in the end... Damned banks always have some way to get you. Claiming because i've never had a loan before they need a cosigner. Well thats nice.. i dont have anyone to cosign for me. Guess ill be looking for older used bikes for the time being.

Unless anyone knows anything about that canadaautoloan.net, Are they legit? see them advertized on kijiji all the time but i cant ever seem to get a response to my questions

well All that excitement about getting a New bike..and doesn't seem like i will be getting a 2014 in the end... Damned banks always have some way to get you. Claiming because i've never had a loan before they need a cosigner. Well thats nice.. i dont have anyone to cosign for me. Guess ill be looking for older used bikes for the time being.

Unless anyone knows anything about that canadaautoloan.net, Are they legit? see them advertized on kijiji all the time but i cant ever seem to get a response to my questions

If you don't have the cash for a new bike, and can't qualify for a bank loan for a new bike, you're likely better off not reaching for a 3rd string loan offer.

Am I the only one thinking this is gonna be about some people shooting up the place with a gun?

Back
Top Bottom