2014 R6 Motorcycle Stolen | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2014 R6 Motorcycle Stolen

These thieves are like Geese on the road...no one there to stop them so they are multiplying by the bush-um!

4 , 24x30 patio sidewalk slabs. They cost 5.00 bucks each and you put a chain and padlock on each end for front and back wheel. Its almost impossible to lift a bike with a 24x30 patio stone hanging on both ends, requires cutting two chains/locks, and sitting concrete on concrete means no rust for the building to deal with, no drilling into structural concrete and the whole deal can be disassembled and loaded into a trunk when you move. If it sat in front of your car it not a trip hazard and if you really wanted to , squeeze out some PL400 construction adhesive before you placed the slab down and you'll need dynamite to move it.
go to a marine store and buy a stainless u bolt, countersink the nuts on the back of the patio stone so it sits flat and fill the countersink with silicone/construction adhesive/gum what ever , so digging out the nuts is impossible with a motorcycle sitting on top. Its a $25 detterant and its that simple. Thieves want in and out, not cutters/grinders/ noise. Nothing is truly theft proof, but making it harder will really help.

Great idea. Will probably do this or store at my parents.

4 , 24x30 patio sidewalk slabs. They cost 5.00 bucks each and you put a chain and padlock on each end for front and back wheel. Its almost impossible to lift a bike with a 24x30 patio stone hanging on both ends, requires cutting two chains/locks, and sitting concrete on concrete means no rust for the building to deal with, no drilling into structural concrete and the whole deal can be disassembled and loaded into a trunk when you move. If it sat in front of your car it not a trip hazard and if you really wanted to , squeeze out some PL400 construction adhesive before you placed the slab down and you'll need dynamite to move it.
go to a marine store and buy a stainless u bolt, countersink the nuts on the back of the patio stone so it sits flat and fill the countersink with silicone/construction adhesive/gum what ever , so digging out the nuts is impossible with a motorcycle sitting on top. Its a $25 detterant and its that simple. Thieves want in and out, not cutters/grinders/ noise. Nothing is truly theft proof, but making it harder will really help.

Mortar another patio slab under that, it will never get moved or cracked.

Don't buy another ss till u move. They know you'll buy another and steal that too. Don't bother with all the locks and bs. They want it they'll take it. I think like 99% of bikes stolen this year are from condos. After they steal a couple your insurance will refuse to insure you. Not worth it for them.

Inner redneck again.
Not certain how you're positioning those slabs, but I think your idea has your bike in the centre, with 4 slabs in the 4 corners. Additional thoughts:
4 stacked on top of each other. With a circular hole through all 4 in the middle. Thread a solid steel tube through, welded at one end with a big "steel 1" plate. Envision a vertical tire rack with your tires, but super heavy one. A mobile, non-permanent, "concrete column". Between one of the concrete slabs, throw in a spacer of sorts so that a big chain, and only a big chain will be able to thread around the then exposed steel tube, and chain the other end to the bike, with minimal slack. Slabs will minimize access to the chain, and minimal slack will again deter going at it with a bolt cutter.

Last edited:
Even easier is to just get a full size garbage pail, cut two holes about 2.5" in diameter, slide some abs/pvc pipe through it and cut flush. Fill the garbage pail with cement and loop your big *** chain through that hole in the middle of the pail. I guarantee you that pail will be super duper heavy. If you want you can get creative with the cement type for added resistance to jack hammering.

Damn near impossible to move when chained up, relatively easy to move with a buddy and a dolly so it's not permanent.

Last edited:
Even easier is to just get a full size garbage pail, cut two holes about 2.5" in diameter, slide some abs/pvc pipe through it and cut flush. Fill the garbage pail with cement and loop your big *** chain through that hole in the middle of the pail. I guarantee you that pail will be super duper heavy. If you want you can get creative with the cement type for added resistance to jack hammering.

Damn near impossible to move when chained up, relatively easy to move with a buddy and a dolly so it's not permanent.

Here's the problem, no matter what you chain to, the chain can be cut in less than 30 seconds.

Not that I need it, although I might if I keep buying motorcycles (and the wife kicks me out), but how are those secure storage places for storing motorcycles? Do they allow you to park bikes in them?

OP... rent or buy another parking spot. Buy an old fullsize van. Park the bike in the van, backed into the spot with the rear doors against the wall. Weld the side sliding door shut. Every time you want to use the bike, roll the van forward, bike out of the van on ramps, etc...

Edit: get a pre-1988 van, no e-test needed, classic insurance for $150/year, and you have yourself transportation to the shop/track/wherever too. I'm thinking a Vandura or Econoline here.

Last edited:
Buy an old fullsize van. Park the bike in the van, backed into the spot with the rear doors against the wall. Weld the side sliding door shut. Every time you want to use the bike, roll the van forward, bike out of the van on ramps, etc...

wow!! It sounds like a dungeon to me, eh? What about the freedom?

Sorry but I garbage that idea...

You really think the condo corporations are gonna let you install patio slabs in the parking garage? Or like you drilling into the slab for anchors as also suggested? Or store it in a bicycle locker?

A SS and a condo are a bad idea. Every year these threads are posted. If the thief wants it, it is gone.

Only four weeks old? I would be looking at the employees at the dealer who sold it to you.

This. It's someone either close to where you are or someone that had knowledge you purchased the bike. 4 weeks is too soon. I'd be very suspicious.

Here's the problem, no matter what you chain to, the chain can be cut in less than 30 seconds.

Paul is right. Tools like this aren't hard to come by. These will cut through solid wire or chain as big around as your thumb. If not there's always an electric option. I work for a stainless steel manufacturer. Hardened or not it's easily beaten.

hyveqyra.jpg

The design always has to included no easy access to the chain. Always. Also never.

You really think the condo corporations are gonna let you install patio slabs in the parking garage? Or like you drilling into the slab for anchors as also suggested? Or store it in a bicycle locker?

actually yes on the patio slabs, done three times at three different building with no issues to date, sit 4 in a row, you ride up a 1 1/2" rise to park on them. floor is grey, they are grey..... its pretty inconspicuous. And not permanent, so the condo board will actually have little to say.
The important part with condos is bypass the superintendent and maintenance guys that are often tripping a bit and appear at a monthly board meeting and make the pitch, your appealing to other owners and will most of the time get a supporting vote. Sucks if your a renter, ownership has its priviledge.

Not that I need it, although I might if I keep buying motorcycles (and the wife kicks me out), but how are those secure storage places for storing motorcycles? Do they allow you to park bikes in them?

OP... rent or buy another parking spot. Buy an old fullsize van. Park the bike in the van, backed into the spot with the rear doors against the wall. Weld the side sliding door shut. Every time you want to use the bike, roll the van forward, bike out of the van on ramps, etc...

Edit: get a pre-1988 van, no e-test needed, classic insurance for $150/year, and you have yourself transportation to the shop/track/wherever too. I'm thinking a Vandura or Econoline here.

Remember the "free candy" sign on the side.

In the three condos I've owe(d) no board would allow
1) parking spaces shared
2) anything stored in space that is not a vehicle.

I'm surprised as hell. As a landlord I also hate renting to bikers- the bikes attract thieves.

Sad but true

Sucks if your a renter, ownership has its priviledge.

This needs to be reiterated again. As mentioned recently, and alluded to never enough, it's about choices and winning. Is renting a shoebox winning? Is tiger blood yacht racing? Not even close.

Yeah, anything can be cut in seconds with a cordless angle grinder.

Maybe the solution is a sign above the bike indicating the parts are marked and the bike has a lo jack. The point of these thefts is to part out the bike on flea bay.
Suzuki in Europe has started marking bike parts with UV ink. My car has this all over the major parts.

This needs to be reiterated again. As mentioned recently, and alluded to never enough, it's about choices and winning. Is renting a shoebox winning? Is tiger blood yacht racing? Not even close.

finally, someone that understands the gravitational pull of the moon effects the tide of commerce.

Back
Top Bottom