2010 Suzuki GSX650F | GTAMotorcycle.com

2010 Suzuki GSX650F

blotey

I picked up the bike on Saturday...holy ****, what a bike :D !!! and apologiez to the other bikers that were riding on highway 9 and did the biker wave..i was to afraid to let go haha lol

i have a few questions on maintaing/riding a bike...
- how often should i put chain lube?
- what kind of oil/oil filter i should use and after how many kms (dealership told me 1000k)?
- at what rpm or kph should i change gears?
- should i put an alarm system on the bike?

...i'll have more questions, but i cant think of any right now lol
btw ill put pics of the bike up tonight!!!

All in your owners manual except the alarm bit.
Some insurance companies will give you a discount, some will not.
Depends on if you leave your bike in safe areas (i.e. garage) or in public areas.... your call.

Congratulations.. yes, this bike often goes under the radar.. a good way to get a good performance bike for its category.. insurance is sport touring and its more than capable. Gotta love the smmmmmooooth inline 4. :)

Answers
1) every 1000km
2) 1000km for first oil change, there afetr look at your manual. Its not *every* 1000km
3) Again, the manual has the suggested RPM for gear shifts..
4) Alarm - well, it's not a Gixxer or a sought after bike for track racing etc. .. your call.

A lot can be answered at www.gsx650f.biz <-- Great site with a lot of information. BTW the GSX650F is really a bandit with a fairing, so some parts are interchangable.

Last edited:
Congrats... I have the same bike... 17000K later, I still love it.

1st service is 1000K... after that, oil changes every 6000K. The manual says to replace the filter every other oil change, I change it every time, it doesn't cost much.
(Use 10W-40 motorcycle specific oil! I use Mobil 1 synthetic... but regular mineral oil if fine to, but it MUST be 10W-40 motorcycle specific.

Lube the chain every time it gets wet, or every 500-800K... you can't lube it to much.

I suggest you read your manual... it's impotent you break the bike in properly... like not going over 6000rpm for the 1st 800K etc

Have fun!

...but it MUST be 10W-40 motorcycle specific.

That's just the recommendation. 10 and 40 are simply grades of viscosity of cold and hot oil. 40 would be more important than 10 because that's the viscosity at operating temperature. To be honest with you whether the first number is 5,10 or 15 - it doesn't matter much, unless you ride in winter.
Any motor has a tolerance for various viscosities, some work better than others, depending on the usage and outside temperature. As for motorcycle specific - you can safely use heavy duty diesel oil (like Rotella), it doesn't have the same additives auto oil does. Even auto oil is used by many without any adverse effects.

So yeah, what's recommended is good but "must" is too strong of a word in this case.

Back
Top Bottom