1992 Kawa ZX6D - worth buying? | GTAMotorcycle.com

1992 Kawa ZX6D - worth buying?

cvcb

I am about to close a deal on a ZX6D. There is a issue with the 2nd gear ( slipping off ). Other than that, the normal deal need to be done, carbs, tires ( fairings are okayish, there is some cracks on the headlight's and the usual chips from 20+ bike ). Anyway, the guy will close at 1k. I estimate almost 800 in repairs. Am I way off on my estimative or is the price?

Fixing second gear properly requires the engine to come out of the bike and the crankcases to be split. It's a not insignificant amount of labour. If you can do it yourself as a winter project, be my guest. If you have to pay someone to do it, it will cost more than the bike is worth just in labour.

Can you still get parts for it? Items like rad hoses, rubber carb boots, fuel bowl o-rings, etc...

My bike is 29 years old (86 VFR) and parts are getting harder and harder to get.

I had a 90 zx6d....very close to the e but hard to find parts for....I think bikebandit.com was the best place to lookup part info....

Look for a "newer" ZZR 600. I believe its the old ZX6E
Kawasaki%20ZZR600%2093%20%204.jpg

Not unless you want a winter project and are ok with spending a lot more than your estimate. Lots of great 600cc bikes out there that are ready to go for $2000.

It's usually worth spending a little bit more up front to get something that's a lot better (i.e. doesn't need an engine/transmission overhaul).

I've had this issue on a bike and paid to get it fixed. It was over $1500 in labour alone! I considered doing it myself, but the thought of missing one little ring/washer in the trans and having to take it all apart at the end or missing a special installation technique and damaging things further kept me from trying. This is a serious amount of work, don't take it lightly!

Not unless you want a winter project and are ok with spending a lot more than your estimate. Lots of great 600cc bikes out there that are ready to go for $2000.

Restoring stuff only makes you money if it's someone else's stuff and you are charging to do it. Unless there is something special about this bike and you intend to own it forever any money you put into it will not be available for the right thing when it comes along.

To me it sounds like a parts bike.

$800 is just the start, assuming you do all the work yourself. At that age the wiring and electrical will be a PITA to live with.
To really assess a bike that era, you need to remove all the fairings.

For $2K, look for a newer 600 with high mileage -these are the bargains in the GTA because typical morons around here think bikes asplode at 40,000km.

And trust me, no one makes money restoring bikes unless it's a super rare bike that started in value at >$25K.

2nd gear issue would keep me away. Find another beater/rat bike that's mechanically sound.

Well... thanks for the opinions, really.
I turned down the deal, like someone said, I wanna ride more than spend my weekends tinkering.
I still on hunting then...

Back
Top Bottom