1985 vt 750 no compresion | GTAMotorcycle.com

1985 vt 750 no compresion

vt750

I recently purchased a 1985 vt 750 under the understanding that the engine had been rebuilt due to valve noise. I was told that the wiring had issues which I was confident I could fix. I hooked a battery up and the engine would roll over if I shorted the solenoid. I found a blown ignition fuse and consequently a shorted wire. Replaced the wire and got spark and the engine rolls using the starter button. I put gas in the tank and rolled the engine. I got misfire thru the carbs and nothing else. I did a compression check and have 0 on both cylinders. I dont see any way to check the timing chains without removing the engine. what is my best course of action. Thanks in advance for any advice. Rick

Take the valve covers off and verify that you have valve clearance. Also verify that timing marks on the cam sprockets and crankshaft (probably on the flywheel - but I don't have specific knowledge of that engine) are lining up correctly.

Is your gauge working? Easiest things first, checking with compressed air is the easiest. If the gauge is working, Brian P is a good guy to listen to.

If you can borrow a leakdown tester, you can pressurize each cylinder and listen to find where all the air is going.

Note to self, always check engines rebuilt by others very carefully prior to connecting power in case they got timing or valve clearances very wrong.

Take the valve covers off and verify that you have valve clearance. Also verify that timing marks on the cam sprockets and crankshaft (probably on the flywheel - but I don't have specific knowledge of that engine) are lining up correctly.

This is a hydraulic valve motor (no adjustment), best go buy a shop manual before going any further.

This is a hydraulic valve motor (no adjustment), best go buy a shop manual before going any further.

Hmm, interesting. So if oil pressure hasn't come up yet since the rebuild (quite possible) that should leave way too much clearance and shouldn't be responsible for his compression troubles.

Shop manual is a great idea when you buy a non-running bike. It saves tons of googling.

No compression and backfiring through carbs tells me that possibly the timing chain is broken or the cam timing is off, possibly 180 degrees if they really messed up the install.

No compression and backfiring through carbs tells me that possibly the timing chain is broken or the cam timing is off, possibly 180 degrees if they really messed up the install.

Assuming it hasn't crashed the valves, it wouldn't make sense to have 0 compression no matter how far off timing was (assuming the cams are actually moving). Obviously if timing is out by much it won't run. Interesting situation, hopefully the OP finds the problem and it is something dumb and easy/cheap to fix.

Obtain service manual. Remove valve covers and whatever crankcase cover is necessary to expose timing marks at crankshaft and camshafts. Check alignment of timing marks.

Timing marks off by a tooth could result in a no-start but it should still have some compression. Timing off by sufficient to bend a valve, will bend a valve ... resulting in no compression. Only way to find out is to verify alignment of timing marks between crank and camshafts.

If the engine was rebuilt due to "valve noise" and it has hydraulic lash adjusters ... that makes one wonder and say "hmmm".

Id like to thank everyone for your help.I have checked the timing and it seems to be correct and also i brought piston to tdc and valves all closed. I blew smoke in the cylinder and it came out the intake. I am asuming the valves are bent so I pulled the engine and I will have pull the heads and check. Thanks again for all input, Rick

Id like to thank everyone for your help.I have checked the timing and it seems to be correct and also i brought piston to tdc and valves all closed. I blew smoke in the cylinder and it came out the intake. I am asuming the valves are bent so I pulled the engine and I will have pull the heads and check. Thanks again for all input, Rick

Thanks for the update. Post pics when you get it apart.

Back
Top Bottom