1974 CB750 for a first bike ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

1974 CB750 for a first bike ?

mstram

I've never owned a bike but wanted to since a teenager.

I've ridden a honda ct70 around the block back in 1978

I rode a Honda Grom in their last "red day" ~10 yrs ago, in a ~50x50 ft space ~15-20 mph

A CB750 is my dream bike;

And here is one for sale :

You are looking at a 1974 Honda 750 Four in absolutely beautiful condition. Still shows its original freedom Green Metallic paint. Runs through the gears perfect in every gear. Had it for a 200 km run today with no issues. Low milage bike. Shows minimal nicks and bruises, has slight deprecation on the seat seam. Everything works as it should

-------------------
I would love to buy this and just might

I actually sat on one (many times) back in the late 70's at Cycle world on Dundas / Kipling,
when I was a teenager.

I was pals with one of the mechanics there, who actually let me ride ... no not the 750, but some kind of minimoto
(it wasn't the 70cc but something else)

He had a 750 and I would hang around till the shop closed, to watch and LISTEN to him take off on his 750.

What MUSIC !!!!

I know it's a heavy beast (481) lb

How much of a "beast" is it performance wise ?

It actually apparently is SLOWER from 0-60 mph than a cbr250 ?????
~10 seconds vs ~7 seconds ?
The brakinig doesn't seem to be "scary fierce" either ?

Aside from the weight, (stopped at red lights etc), could this be a first bike ?

I'm thinking maybe ya.

I'm thinking I buy a CBR125 AND this beauty !

Do modern / current bike shops (Rosie Toes ?) have parts for this beauty ?

What ya'll think ?

Mike

Last edited:
Find something newer unless you're prepared to wrench instead of ride.
45+ year old machines are just that - old and sometimes difficult to find parts for.
The CBR125R is a better place to start (IMO), then after riding a while you can make a more informed decision.

Find something newer unless you're prepared to wrench instead of ride.
45+ year old machines are just that - old and sometimes difficult to find parts for.
The CBR125R is a better place to start (IMO), then after riding a while you can make a more informed decision.

So maybe you don't believe the seller when he writes :

You are looking at a 1974 Honda 750 Four in absolutely beautiful condition. Still shows its original freedom Green Metallic paint. Runs through the gears perfect in every gear. Had it for a 200 km run today with no issues. Low milage bike. Shows minimal nicks and bruises, has slight deprecation on the seat seam. Everything works as it should

==============

My only issue which I just notice re-reading the description is :
Bike is currently located in Summerside Prince Edward Island
Can help arrange shipping from Prince Edward Island to Toronto

If the price (~$7K) includes the shipping ok, but if it's another $1-2-3K .. I don't think so.

I'll message him about the shipping.

Mike

So maybe you don't believe the seller when he writes :

==============

My only issue which I just notice re-reading the description is :
Bike is currently located in Summerside Prince Edward Island
Can help arrange shipping from Prince Edward Island to Toronto

If the price (~$7K) includes the shipping ok, but if it's another $1-2-3K .. I don't think so.

I'll message him about the shipping.

Mike
$7K is incredibly cheap for a 1974 CB750 IF it's in remotely original condition.
Pics please ?
And at the risk of repeating myself, it's almost 50 years old - is this really the best place to start ?

As @TK4 said, this would be a nice second bike. As in second bike in the garage.

You do no want this as a daily driver.

The seller has 29 bikes for sale, all in Prince Edward Island. It looks like he bought a collection or museum.

Last edited:
$7K is incredibly cheap for a 1974 CB750 IF it's in remotely original condition.
Pics please ?
And at the risk of repeating myself, it's almost 50 years old - is this really the best place to start ?
pics are in the kiji add

As @TK4 said, this would be a nice second bike. As in second bike in the garage.

You do no want this as a daily driver.
Ya, maybe like my 30 yr golf clubs.

They don't swing nearly as nicely as my 2018 clubs ;)

I *would* love to ride one of these, even for a day.

Maybe there is a "vintage" bike club around that does that ??????

Mike

1974 Honda CB750 Four (K4) detailed performance review, speed vs rpm and accelerations chart

Complete performance review and accelerations chart for Honda CB750 Four (K4) in 1974, the model with standard body and 736 cm3 / 44.9 cui, 49.9 kW / 68 PS / 67 hp engine. According to ProfessCars™ estimation this Honda is capable of accelerating from 0 to 60 mph in 5.6 sec, from 0 to 100 km/h in 5.9 sec and 1/4 mile in 14.2 sec. Below we present more detailed data of the official factory claim and the ProfessCars™ estimation, including acceleration times 0-100 mph, 0-160 km/h, with comprehensive graphic illustration, top speed, accelerations on gears, speed vs rpm and overtaking times.
gorgeous machine but not for OP. I still recall the first time I rode my buddies - lovely rush.

Clean, not over restored. It seems like you've already made your mind up and are just looking for positive reinforcement that you aren't making a mistake.
Not completely.

The initial messages I was getting were that I would be spending more time working on it than riding it.

Even though the seller wrote that he had just ridden it ~200 km.

One of my main concerns, that you guys also confirmed was the parts availability.

Would someone like Ted@rosie tones have any better access than a Honda dealer ?

Or would I need to source parts myself on the net ?

The third concern, which I will try to address by sending a message, was the vague message about "helping with the shipping". I will message the seller and find out what that means.

I by no means have made my mind up about buying it.

Mike

As a daily rider I'd look for some made recently simply for parts availability.
While I am sure you can find parts for a 1974 Honda, it would be much easier to source parts for a 2004 Honda.
If this is the bike of your dreams, then go for it, just know what you are getting into.

Not completely.

The initial messages I was getting were that I would be spending more time working on it than riding it.

Even though the seller wrote that he had just ridden it ~200 km.

One of my main concerns, that you guys also confirmed was the parts availability.

Would someone like Ted@rosie tones have any better access than a Honda dealer ?

Or would I need to source parts myself on the net ?

The third concern, which I will try to address by sending a message, was the vague message about "helping with the shipping". I will message the seller and find out what that means.

I by no means have made my mind up about buying it.

Mike
Ted is gone (or will be shortly). If you plan on paying for mechanicing, don't buy that bike. You will be crushed by the bills. If you can do the work yourself, that is an awesome spare bike.

Just because it did a 200 km ride doesn't mean that it doesn't need hours of work replacing rubber bits to make it run properly.

As for parts availability, as you look at older bikes, you need to get to know the community. At least one member here (and probably more) have buildings full of parts for cb750's.

Ted is gone (or will be shortly). If you plan on paying for mechanicing, don't buy that bike. You will be crushed by the bills. If you can do the work yourself, that is an awesome spare bike.

Just because it did a 200 km ride doesn't mean that it doesn't need hours of work replacing rubber bits to make it run properly.

As for parts availability, as you look at older bikes, you need to get to know the community. At least one member here (and probably more) have buildings full of parts for cb750's.
Ok thx.

This just may get filed under "CB750's that still exist / are rideable"

We'll see.

What's your guess about the "take care of shipping" ?

I haven't heard back yet, but I'm guessing it's an extra cost on top of the purchase price.

Mike

I think you have been given lots of great advice already by some really experienced riders.

I wouldn't by a bike older then 10 years old. Especially for a first bike. Unless you have a garage with machine shop in it.
You have a garage right?

Judging by your other thread, you don't have you license yet. I would concentrate on that and figuring out how much insurance is going to cost you.

But hey it's your call if you think you can pull it off. Not everyone follows the typical beginners path to motorcycling.

My thoughts are that if it's your dream bike, then you'd need have lots of money, and see it in person and make sure it's in decent shape.
You'd also need a newer smaller bike to ride and learn on in the meantime. A friend has a CB750K a little newer, and spent a decade and thousands of dollars finding four into four pipes that weren't rusted out, as his had been replaced by a four into one pipe. I'm not sure if the bike has been ridden/stored close to saltwater or what that would do to the metal bits on it. Being low mileage is not good for that age, as it may have spent time sitting in a barn or outside.

You can get some good advice at your local CVMG (Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Group) chapter - https://www.cvmg.ca/ .

For a learning bike, a 300 cc would probably be best, unless you are very small and/or lightweight, as it can more easily do highway speeds.
250's can also do it, if you have some experience. For 125's you need to be light and have some experience, or do you M2X somewhere that the highway speed is <100 kph. You want something that you have to shift, shift, shift, until you do it subconsciously by sound and feel.

Well it was my dream bike .... in 1978 ;)

I haven't got a number yet, but the seller did confirm my suspicion that shipping is going to be more $$$.

So this was interesting but is most probably dead in water.

Back
Top Bottom