1199 pani oil issue | GTAMotorcycle.com

1199 pani oil issue

duc

Hey all, want some insight and opinions on what I should do with my situation.

Just purchased an 1199. Did 50k of my breakin and was sitting in traffic when my bike just shut off. Noticed the oil light was on. Opened it up and it was bone dry? No visable leaks nothing.

Did they not put any from factory? They said bring it in they will check it out...but doesnt this screw up the breakin on the engin?

You would never get 50k with no oil, probably low oil and it was all pulled into the engine resulting in overheating when sitting in traffic and seizure or an overhear over shut off

Sent from my my mobile using a strange app for damaged people

Yes it does and WTF? Look under it and see if the oil drain plug is still there.

This is a Problem. It is fixable if any problems, but I believe it requires disassembly of the top end at a minimum to examine the engine. On a new bike? I'm sorry man. Keep us posted.

This is a dumb question, but did you check the oil level before riding it?

Yea bike is brand new.

When I picked the bike up two days ago the sales staff on the floor went down to take a look and said it looks full. So no, checking the oil on a bike that just got serviced by the dealership that has 2 km on it wasnt the first thing on my mind. :S

Last edited:
Keep us posted on what happened.

This really sucks but at least it'll only be an inconvenience and not one of those buyer beware moments.

Contact the dealer right away and get this sorted out.

From all the 1199s we work on I have seen some with pretty crazy oil consumption rates while some barely burn much at all. To be honest out of all the Ducatis I think the 1199 has to be the most quirky. Hard starting issues, embarrassing smoking on start up, oil consumption...

That being said burning all its oil in 50km is not really feasible... I have seen as high as 1 liter/1000km...

Did the bike start back up? Did the bike make any strange noises leading up to it shutting off?

At the end of the day its not your problem its your, dealer/manufacturers issue to deal with. Its just your job to be very firm on making sure they know its their responsibility to give you a reasonable explanation and to rectify the issue.

Last edited:
Yea bike is brand new.

When I picked the bike up two days ago the sales staff on the floor went down to take a look and said it looks full. So no, checking the oil on a bike that just got serviced by the dealership that has 2 km on it wasnt the first thing on my mind. :S

Dont wanna be the bearer of bad news but ive heard of multiple bikes leaving a certain dealership in newmarket with no oil, my buddies being one of them.

And the fact that in 50k the light came on and it was bone dry leads me to believe there was little oil to begin with... but thats just my .02

No oil with only 50k is not possible unless there is a hole somewhere... How long have you had the bike in possession? Was this on your first ride?

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "opened it up".

my 1st suspicion is TROLLLLLL!! however it cant go from "ok" to " light on" in 50k , there wouldn't be enough to turn the light out upon startup and if that much was getting out of the engine the exhaust would be dripping.

Dont know what the issue is yet. Not correct to give anyone the name of the shop ether. But Ducati N.A. is now involved. Can update from there.

In regards to how I know no oil was in the bike, glass circle showed no movement. Bikes been in my possession for three days. It was the first ride yes.

Will update further as I know more. :S

Also on start up this morning to go drop it off. Took 45 mins before it rolled over and I did notice some oil coming out of one of the exhaust pipes.

Also on start up this morning to go drop it off. Took 45 mins before it rolled over and I did notice some oil coming out of one of the exhaust pipes.

Im curious to know what was going through your mind as you're sitting there and trying to start it for 45 minutes?

Did the thought that perhaps you should tow it in rather than attempt to start it cross your mind at any point?

really? I'd like to say I'm speechless but wow. Ducati Canada is now involved and they advised you to start an engine that may have been run out of oil, that took 45mins to fire and is attached to a 20k? bike. And the dealer did not send a van/tow vehicle and pick it up?
I'm more than a little curious as one of my bikes is a Duc (purchased used from a Ducati dealer) and when I suspected I had an issue the offer to come to my house and collect the bike, 80km, was instant.

"Open it up", "Glass window had no movement", "45 min to roll over", "oil coming out of one of the exhaust pipes" (after somebody hypothetically suggests it).......troll....../thread

Oil light comes on when and engine stalls - suddenly oil pressure is too low, due to not running.

Did you run out of fuel? Italian bikes run on olive oil. Try speaking to it with an accent.

Try speaking to it with an accent.

And use your hands to help you communicate better! Sometimes sprinkling some grated romano on the can helps kick it back into action.

Back
Top Bottom