How do you feel about the decline of petrol vehicles? | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How do you feel about the decline of petrol vehicles?

Right. So the sudden load of potentially thousands and thousands of people charging their 80amp load cars at "off peak" hours all night and into the next morning won't tax the grid?

We don't use nearly as much hydro at night, compared to daytime. That's why they want people to use hydro at night, rather then during the day. Its peak hours that tax the infrastructure. just saying.

We don't use nearly as much hydro at night, compared to daytime. That's why they want people to use hydro at night, rather then during the day. Its peak hours that tax the infrastructure. just saying.

Right. But you think that vast majority EV users are charging up most of their capacity during a day? Quite the opposite .... hence the affect is significantly lower and you cannot just assume that they have add all the EV capacity to the base load they have to be able provide at peak. Quite on contrary.

What irons???? Nothing regarding passenger cars. Zilch. Zero. The only place is some very special applications which have nothing to do with small vehicles transportation.

You know you should not make such definitive statements without knowing what you are talking about.

These irons

Hydrogen fuel-cell car push 'dumb'? Toyota makes a case for the Mirai
https://www.reuters.com/...autoshow...hydrogen/hydrogen-fuel-cell-car-push-dumb-t...
Oct 25, 2017 - Last month, Shanghai announced plans to promote development of fuel-cell vehicles by adding hydrogen refueling stations, subsidizing companies developing fuel-cell technologies and setting up R&D facilities. The city's goal is to put 20,000 hydrogen fuel-cell passenger vehicles and 10,000 commercial vehicles on the ...

Fuel-cell cars finally drive off the lot | September 25, 2017 Issue - Vol ...
https://cen.acs.org/articles/95/i38/Fuel-cell-cars-finally-drive.html
Sep 25, 2017 - In principle, these cars, which run on electricity generated on board by electrochemically combining hydrogen with oxygen from the air, could reduce global dependence on petroleum while emitting just water from their tailpipes. But despite extensive fleet testing, fuel-cell passenger cars have always seemed to be another ...

2017 Honda Clarity: A hydrogen fuel cell car that delivers fun - LA Times
www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-honda-clarity-review-20170401-story.html
Mar 30, 2017 - Honda has finally brought its 2017 Clarity hydrogen fuel cell car to market, trailing the Toyota Mirais and the Hyundai Tucson. This fun-to-drive sedan was ... Honda's fuel cell entry is a stylish four-door sedan that offers premium cabin comfort and cargo capacity for five passengers and their gear. This is possible because ...

Honda and Toyota are still backing hydrogen fuel-cell cars - Engadget
https://www.engadget.com/2017/.../honda-toyota-hydrogen-fuel-cell-refuelling-japan/
Dec 12, 2017 - Toyota, Honda and Nissan are partnering with eight industrial firms to make a fresh push on hydrogen refuelling stations in Japan. The group wants to build 80 s...

and DOE is still promoting research as a strong future tech
https://airandspace.si.edu/stories/editorial/hydrogen-powered-cars-hitting-road

Regular ICE vehicles can run on hydrogen directly with some added lube ....many breakthroughs are coming in

Solar supercapacitor creates electricity and hydrogen fuel on the cheap
ENERGY
Michael Irving

November 23rd, 2017

https://newatlas.com/solar-hydrogen-electricity-device/52329/

this is the holy grail for hydrogen

A solid pathway toward hydrogen storage
September 26, 2017 by Anne M Stark, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

A hydrogenation mechanism that directly forms magnesium borohydride avoids issues known to inhibit the speed at which a hydrogen vehicle can be refueled. Hydrogen molecules (gray) dissociate on exposed magnesium (blue) layers of magnesium …more
An inexpensive and useful layered superconductor compound also may be an efficient solid-state material for storing hydrogen. The Department of Energy's (DOE) Energy Materials Network (EMN) consortium approach to accelerate material discovery and development is starting to pay off.

Through theory and experimentation, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) scientists have discovered the key mechanism by which magnesium diboride (MgB2) absorbs hydrogen and provided key insights into the reaction pathway that converts MgB2 to its highest hydrogen capacity form, magnesium borohydride (Mg(BH4)2). Mg(BH4)2 is a particularly promising hydrogen storage material because of its high hydrogen content and attractive thermodynamics.
"The insights provided by our study are an important step toward unlocking the potential of this material for solid-state hydrogen storage," said Keith Ray, LLNL physicist and lead author of a paper featured on the inside cover of the September issue of Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics .
Storage of hydrogen is one of the critical enabling technologies for hydrogen-fueled transportation systems as well as grid resiliency, energy storage and use of diverse domestic resources across sectors, which can reduce oil dependency.

Hydrogen has a high gravimetric energy density—fuel cell vehicles on the road today can travel more than 300 miles with 5 kilograms of hydrogen

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-09-solid-pathway-hydrogen-storage.html#jCp

DOE has goals for storage density these people are chasing....

Last edited:
There is no necessity for electricity rates to rise as most charging is done when there is already excess capacity and rates are lowest. In addition... EV users will sign up for cheaper power in return for up to 30% of their battery being available to the grid.

ummm maybe the engineers haven't considered that the large majority of people will charge their cars during the off peak hours. Shouldn't be a need to build more infrastructure than normal ...

Careful swinging those facts around guys, they scare some people.

Yup...
and hydrogen has a play in all this as hydrogen represents a way to store renewable electricity

I'd given up on hydrogen but so many irons in the fire on it that I've rethought it.

(sigh)

The hydrogen fallacy has been discussed in the EV thread. BrianP (who has a LOT of knowledge, and insider technical knowledge) wrote up quite the smackdown on why you'll never see hydrogen ever take off as a vehicle fuel.

Check out the thread at this link - if you read nothing else there, read posts 1975 through 2000, and pay particular attention to BrianP's very detailed posts.

Forget hydrogen, it's so impractical when you start to understand it better (not to mention that generating it uses more energy than you get out of it) you soon realize why ever major auto manufacturer on the planet is going electric, not hydrogen.

edit
If you want to know what you are really paying a kw/hr, all in, look at your bill and determine how many kw/hr you used for the last month - along with your bill amount, and figure out what the electricity really cost per kw/hr. The numbers given out by hydro are a joke....

hydro one raises your delivery rate when you use more electricity: negating the savings.

“A portion of the delivery charge is calculated at a fixed amount. The rest of the charges increase or decrease depending on the amount of electricity you use.”

Many people have done the math and the generally accepted average is that EV vehicle driven for 16000km a year in Ontario non-rural area (read somewhat normal GTA off peak rate of 6.5c$/kWh) your costs will roughly be 30$/month in electricity fuel. That assume that you ONLY charge ever at home and off-peak. That's a ball park number which works for most EV users and I don't see anything wrong with it.

For more details ....

Electricity Off-Peak (per kWh) $0.065

Delivery related charges
Distribution Charge (per kWh) $0.0080
Transmission Network Rate (per kWh) $0.0074
Transmission Connection Rate (per kWh) $0.0057

Regulatory
Wholesale Market Service Rate (per kWh) $0.0036
Rural or Remote Rate Protection Charge (per kWh) $0.0003

There are other two charges, but they are NOT per kWh, bur rather fixed. So If I add up the above, you are looking at total of .... 0.09$/kWh ... you can call it 10 cents for easy math.

If you want you can fact check the 30$/monthly I mentioned earlier by considering ..... 1500km/month x 20kWh/100km (reasonable consumption for most EV's on the market) x 0.10$ = 30$ (and again, it means you never ever charge anywhere else but home at night; of course very few people rely only on that). It will kill you that I have driven 1600km and have paid probably 3$ worth of electricity. This is thanks to my work location .... so for me this car is about 6-7 times less costly on fuel (if I go with 30$).

Where in the world is your 0.40 or 0.30 or even 0.20$/kWh comes from??? You live in GTA and pay that much???

The math is not rocket science, but I have seen so many people do it wrong that it is no wonder that EV adoption is as low as it is. Crazy.

Last edited:
You know you should not make such definitive statements without knowing what you are talking about.

Keep spinning your wheels.

I feel quite comfortable with my statement, because it's based on knowledge of people who actually are in the business of making EV cars ..... you know how many of these hot irons they get every day? A lot ... you know how many have actually any probability being viable solutions for mass transportation in the next 20 years. None. This is from people who are actively looking and listening for someone to bring them either a more promising battery chemistry or other form of renewable fuel. These people are not against, they just know that hydrogen fool cell is not something we will be able to use in the next at least 20 years for mass transport.

Good enough for me, but you guys can keep dreaming and in the meantime, I just plug in in the warmth of my garage .... :)

The other aspect is that businesses are offering free charging to draw people.

retail-charging-IKEA-blog480.jpg

https://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/20...arge-consumers-and-retailers-are-plugging-in/

and that was 5 years ago

Now

Nissan unveils new EV ecosystem to offer free power to owners with ...
https://electrek.co/2017/10/04/nissan-ev-ecosystem-free-power-leaf-vehicle-to-grid/
Oct 4, 2017 - “Using Nissan bi-directional charging, customers can draw energy from the grid to power their car or van and then 'sell' back to the grid for others to use. This means, once a nominal charge has been paid by the business for the installation of a V2G charger there are no fuel or energy costs; just free power for your EV.”.

Royal Farms Rolls Out DC Fast Chargers At Its Gas Stations To Drive ...
https://cleantechnica.com/.../royal-farms-rolls-out-dc-fast-chargers-at-its-gas-stations/
Sep 6, 2017 - That's a great sign from the field about how EV charging can be a valuable tool to draw in customers that have moved away from their primary reason for visiting a service station and keep them hooked into the retail end of the business. With DC fast chargers for electric cars being such an obvious draw for EV drivers who ..

Free Volta Charging Makes A Serious Business Case (CleanTechnica Exclusive)

November 11th, 2017 by Nicolas Zart

Volta introduced free charging for electric vehicles (EV) years ago. And yes, that’s free as in free beer. Still today, there’s a free Volta charging system.

Not too many things come free nowadays, but in our recent interview with Scott Mercer, CEO of Volta Charging, we were happy to find that the company is still kicking and making a good business case for free charging. While we are aware how most people feel about advertising, Scott has an elegant solution that should satisfy drivers, business owners, and charging network managers. The idea is to add value that increases business owners’ sales with a free and sustainable amenity.

The cost of electricity is miniscule compared to getting a customer to come and say have a meal or do their shopping.

You are going out .....you're an EV owner....just like we used to look for Internet available.....you'll look for a charging station.

We are often paying other provinces and the USA to take our excess electricity at night.

It's just starting now, but some utilities (as was mentioned) are starting to wake up to the EV market and offer lower off peak rates than even Hydro Ones regulated rates. Unfortunately they make it up elsewhere with slightly higher on peak rates, but for a household with 2 high capacity EV's that need a good majority of a full charge ever night the savings would be quite significant.

The sooner OPG/Hydro One catches on and decides to actually reward people even more than they currently do for off peak usage, the more consumption you'll see shift to this time period. I'm not taking 6c vs 16c either (off peak vs peak), I'm talking 1 or 2 cents per kwh off peak instead.

I've never quite understood why we still charge 6c for off peak here, but instead of rewarding higher usage at night with MASSIVELY lower rates, we pay other places to take that electricity instead, or give it away at fire sale prices. It's stupid. Place a major incentive for us to USE the electricity here and have the utility actually make something on it, versus nothing.

Fact is we have too much electricity here, especially during the overnight hours. The old "it'll overload the grid!" argument has been dispelled so many times it's not even funny, but it's one of the first things that the anti-EV crowd latch on to. There's LOTS of studies and such out there that back this up, it's not just here-say. EV growth will actually be a huge PLUS for our electricity system here as electricity that OPG is basically pissing away overnight will actually earn them a return as EV's start to expand.

If you want to know what you are really paying a kw/hr, all in, look at your bill and determine how many kw/hr you used for the last month - along with your bill amount, and figure out what the electricity really cost per kw/hr. The numbers given out by hydro are a joke....

I specifically mentioned this in my reply. It's a fallacy to completely roll in the delivery charges to the cost of charging an EV as you are paying those anyways...unless your house uses no electricity?.

Yes, the rate does increase as you use more electricity, that's a fact, but even when you roll in those increased costs of the delivery charge sliding up a little, you are still winning MANY times over with an EV vs gasoline. So, maybe instead of 8x less expensive, you are only at 7x less expensive vs gas. I think if you asked anyone in the country if they'd like to fill their car with $0.17/L gas right now, everyone would jump up and down and say Hell Yeah - when you break down $1.25/L gas times 7x more efficient for an EV, that's what the equivalent cost of driving an EV is.

When you compare an EV to something bigger than a Cruze like we are comparing to here, the numbers get even more staggering. Compare someone driving a 17L/100KM land yacht SUV to an EV and the savings can exceed 20x easily.

Last edited:
Many people have done the math and the generally accepted average is that EV vehicle driven for 16000km a year in Ontario non-rural area (read somewhat normal GTA off peak rate of 6.5c$/kWh) your costs will roughly be 30$/month in electricity fuel. That assume that you ONLY charge ever at home and off-peak. That's a ball park number which works for most EV users and I don't see anything wrong with it.

For more details ....

Delivery related charges

Regulatory

There are other two charges, but they are NOT per kWh, bur rather fixed. So If I add up the above, you are looking at total of .... 0.09$/kWh ... you can call it 10 cents for easy math.

If you want you can fact check the 30$/monthly I mentioned earlier by considering ..... 1500km/month x 20kWh/100km (reasonable consumption for most EV's on the market) x 0.10$ = 30$ (and again, it means you never ever charge anywhere else but home at night; of course very few people rely only on that). It will kill you that I have driven 1600km and have paid probably 3$ worth of electricity. This is thanks to my work location .... so for me this car is about 6-7 times less costly on fuel (if I go with 30$).

Where in the world is your 0.40 or 0.30 or even 0.20$/kWh comes from??? You live in GTA and pay that much???

The math is not rocket science, but I have seen so many people do it wrong that it is no wonder that EV adoption is as low as it is. Crazy.

Up to a challenge? Grab last months hydro bill and determine what you paid total, and determine how many kwhr's you used. Do the math.

Up to a challenge? Grab last months hydro bill and determine what you paid total, and determine how many kwhr's you used. Do the math.

Sure, but why? What is wrong with the math I gave you above?

You somehow think they charged me more for the few piddly extra kWh I used? What would be the rational for that, before I go and waste my time pulling my bill for December.

Right, so we have all these smart automakers investing millions if not billions into Hydrogen tech R and D and clearly more and more automakers are joining.

Yet, a couple guys on a motorcycle forum claim it's not a viable tech. Uh huh. Keep preaching.

I predict Hydrogen will be the dark horse in this race and when people realize they can fill their tank in 3 minutes instead of driving around and looking for silly charging stations and waiting hours and hours for a "fill" it starts to make more and more sense.

Toronto already has 2 hydrogen filling stations going in.

Last edited:
Sure, but why? What is wrong with the math I gave you above?

You somehow think they charged me more for the few piddly extra kWh I used? What would be the rational for that, before I go and waste my time pulling my bill for December.

Ok. not all the hidden charges are fixed rate.

Ok. not all the hidden charges are fixed rate.

Have you bothered to read my post with all the breakdown and individual rates contributing to the 0.10$ round up, I mention it specifically .... it's all there, pls read it. Taken directly off my billing utility dashboard.

List the hidden charges out for everyone to see, pls.

Did you read the article I posted a few posts back where someone actually did all this math?

Here it is again.

http://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatur...-really-cost-to-charge-that-electric-vehicle/

In auto trader lmao. sorry to be such a ***** but I couldn't resist. I wonder if any articles exist with another view on elec costs. I opened up a can of whoop *** here. Sorry. I will agree that 30 cents a kw/hr ALL IN may be a bit too high. I still you would be hard pressed to find anyone paying less than 20 cents a kw/hr all in.

I predict Hydrogen will be the dark horse in this race and when people realize they can fill their tank in 3 minutes instead of driving around and looking for silly charging stations and waiting hours and hours for a "fill" it starts to make more and more sense.

Well I agree on the dark horse for a variety of reasons but fast charging to 80% is no where near hours.

StoreDot demos EV battery that reaches a full charge in 5 minutes
When fully charged, it can apparently keep the car running for 300 miles
https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/12/storedot-ev-battery-demo/

Enevate’s extreme fast charge, silicon-dominant Li-ion battery technology allows EV batteries to be charged in 5 minutes, for a driving range of up to 240 miles (390 km). (Graphic: Business Wire)
https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...nnounces-5-Minute-Extreme-Fast-Charge-Battery

Japanese tech company Toshiba has just announced their next-generation SCiB rechargeable batteries for electric vehicles. According to the company, these new batteries can charge in just six minutes and deliver a range of 200 miles.

This a huge race for the overturn of ICE that is coming very quickly.

Toronto already has 2 hydrogen filling stations going in.
did not know that.....good news...hydrogen buses I think are an early use that makes sense and this.

Metrolinx exploring hydrogen-powered GO trains - CityNews Toronto
toronto.citynews.ca/2017/09/19/metrolinx-exploring-hydrogen-powered-go-trains/
Sep 19, 2017 - Ontario is conducting a feasibility study on the use of hydrogen fuel cells as part of the Metrolinx Regional Express Rail program.

The neat thing is hydrogen can be generated in a number of ways and make good use of that excess electricity off hours.

Niagara runs, nukes run ....the wind blows...they could all be producing hydrogen and it is really clean tech and very compatible with current ICE technology.

Last edited:
Did the math 3153 kw / $366.07 = 8.6 c per kwh and that is at higher low density distribution rates.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
a3b51d9e2ed5842e6f2fe67e6dda3382.jpg

Last edited:

For more details ....

Delivery related charges

Regulatory

You are right. I would
agree on 10 cents a kwhr off peak
edit
but what about the loses during charging. lmao. gotta give me 10% there. plus the 6% tax. Im up to 12 cents now...you don't pay any regulatory charges?... here I go again..lol forgive me please.

EDIT oh found another..the global investment fund is 4 cents a kwhr (hidden too). Im up to 16 cents a kwhr now. I'll keep looking for others. lol.

Last edited:
I wonder how many different sources will it take to convince people that it really is significantly cheaper than gas.

Drove my Volt 500KM in the last week.

Cost in my old Magnum would have been about 75L of gas, so $93.75.

Cost in my Volt was 7 charges at about $1.25 each, and 4L of gas for one of those trips that exceeded my electric range. Total cost $13.75. Had I not used that little bit of gas I'd have been $8.75

There's just zero debate here, I don't know when people will get it. I saved $80 this week alone.

Well I agree on the dark horse for a variety of reasons but fast charging to 80% is no where near hours.

Careful with those facts again.

did not know that.....good news...hydrogen buses I think are an early use that makes sense and this.

2 Hydrogen filling stations in the province.

500+ Charging stations in just the Niagara to Quebec city corridor alone.

chargingstations.jpg

Cost of 1 hydrogen filling station: $1.6 Million. Location - Few and far between.

Cost of average Level 2 electric charging station at home - $500 to $1500. Location - Your own driveway, and tens of thousands of other locations across North America. Every EV comes with an included Level1 charger that works on any receptacle, anywhere.

Cost of installing bank of 2 chargers at a commercial location - $1500 to perhaps $5000 worst case. Location, every parking lot.

Costs?

Cost of electricity to recharge a Chevy Bolt - $5-$8 depending on rate. Yields 380KM range.

Cost to refill Honda Clarity Hydrogen car - $83 USD, so over $100 Canadian. Yields 408KM.

You tell me which one is winning, and which one makes more sense.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom