Recommendations to get slight used or new tires? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Recommendations to get slight used or new tires?

marbles999

Alright all knowing GTAM community... I am sure you all know something about tires.

I just bought my bike and it is used. Tires passed safety, but I think I should start shopping for new ones anyway just so I feel safe (better).

So, the question here lies... does anyone have recommendations of who/where to get tires in the GTA area or do you order online and have them delivered? If so, do they provide free delivery? Yes, well aware that tires are costly... so is this thing we call "riding".

Thanks in advance.

What's the bike / what's the tire sizes / what type of riding do you do?

http://www.speedworxsuperbike.com/ shouldn't be too far from where you say you are, and are a good shop.

I wouldn't call them a good shop. Got my tires changed there recently and they didn't even set my chain tension properly afterwards. It was WAY too tight, and they definitely should've heard/noticed it. Adjusted it myself but my e-mail to them went unresponded.

I'd say do some research and take your business elsewhere.

I use Flying Squirrel - Dundas/Carlaw. Call/email to order the tires and schedule a time to take your bike in.

would rule out the idea of used tires on a bike
lots of ways to save $$, this is not a good one

I've ordered a bunch of tires from Canadas Motorcycle (well, FortNine now) and nobody could beat the price. Yes, Petes Superbike was a few dollars cheaper but they charged shipping whereas FortNine was free over a certain dollar amount - in the end it was a few dollars cheaper at FortNine.

Don't forget - you'll most likely have to have someone install and balance them for you ?
When you're shopping ask if the shop will give you a break on the labour OR match tire prices with the onliners.
My experiences suggest they will, and save you a whole bunch of hassle.

What I did was buy the tires from somewhere like GP Bikes. And then get someone like Freakyguy to install them and check over other stuff while the bike is with him.

Just my opinion , when it comes to tires it's not worth the few dollars you might save getting used.

I've run used tires for over 13+ years. Use them on track and touring.

Lots of sources mentioned. Shop around.

Ricburner, you have experience and know what to look for when buying used. Based on the OP's question I am assuming he/she is a newer rider and as such may not know what to look for when buying used. In any case tires for a Ninja 250R are not that expensive to begin with. Not sure how much you would save buying used anyway.

Last edited:
@250R-ICE yes. I am totally new to this. Depending on used, I would guess not so used and have a couple years left and as for new would be great but might not be able to front the cost all at once.

Where do you suggest I check out/research costs?

Sent from my Pixel using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Fortnine has a pretty good review system. Pick one of the major brands and you'll be fine. For your bike and the profile, I don't see a huge difference between different models and brand. Speedwerx is a good option, talk to them regarding install and I'm sure they will try to price match your tires of choice. If not, there is also other shops. I'm presuming that you're using the bike as a commuter/weekend fun and not exactly tracking, so go with the brand you like and the cheapest...however do look for and ask about manufacture dates as you don't want tires that's been sitting around for years in some warehouse.

Don't forget - you'll most likely have to have someone install and balance them for you ?
When you're shopping ask if the shop will give you a break on the labour OR match tire prices with the onliners.
My experiences suggest they will, and save you a whole bunch of hassle.

Another good option - I did end up buying one of the tires for my wifes first bike a few years ago from GP - I had no shame and showed them my phone screen with the CanadasMotorcycle page open to the tire I wanted, with the price clearly shown. They came within $15 or $20 of matching that price which I was cool with - had the install done there when it came in. FWIW their MSRP on that same tire was close to $100 more than Canadas Motorcycle/Fortnine was however, so it was very worthwhile getting them to come close on the price match.

@250R-ICE yes. I am totally new to this. Depending on used, I would guess not so used and have a couple years left and as for new would be great but might not be able to front the cost all at once.

Where do you suggest I check out/research costs?

Sent from my Pixel using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

From what I recall when I had my Ninja250R was that the bike used bias ply type tires. So due to the size and type we were limited in options. I had my selection down to either the Dunlop GT 501 and Bridgestone BT45. The Bridgestones were original tires on the first generation 2008 models. They then switched to IRC....

Anway both the Dunlops and Bridgestones were about the same price. You are looking at around $110 for fronts and $140 for the rear. You can try Pete's Superbikes online or GP Bikes in Whitby Store or online. I would rather deal with GP Bikes in case you have problems. Petes is in Quebec. You can then just pick up the tires or have them delivered and get Frekeyguy (member here) to install them. His prices are reasonable and he does excellent work. Or just get GP Bikes to install them. Another option is Snow City Cycle in Scarborough.

Last edited:
I've had Good Wheel Motors install before. Was a while back, so not sure what their pricing is like now.

When the bike passed Safety, did the mechanic mention tread depth and condition of the tires?

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

When the bike passed Safety, did the mechanic mention tread depth and condition of the tires?

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

My boyfriend took it to get safety. All he told me is that I need to research/get new/used tires as it appeared that the previous owner(s) never changed the tires and they looked like they were the originals from when it was first purchased. It's a 2011 and I the 3rd owner now.

Back
Top Bottom