Any weird hobbies out there? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any weird hobbies out there?

I wouldn't recommend photo albums, but it's up to you. Husband is numismatist, due to humidity etc he has proper "portfolios" to store them properly.

If you do use photo albums make sure they are not the sticky page kind and they are stored properly, otherwise you could degrade them

Guess I should have been more specific. Forgot people aren't always on the same page as me. I meant archival photo album pages. Non damaging and they slide in between neutral plastic sleeves. I store my coins in slide pages and paper in 4x6 or 5x7 pages. If you get the clear ones you can see both sides. Others have a translucent backing.

Last edited:
toss bills into a plastic storage container (lock and lock or something like that....walmart)
add some of those silica gel packs to absorb moisture and store out of sunlight
or place into a metal box (from Ikea) with silica packs

google how to store baseball cards or money

or frame them and display on your wall, make a large collage with each bill cut out then ppl can see them...interesting art

Do you find that it gets a little weird when you realize that you have money from countries that no longer exist?
I were too young to know if the countries no longer existed. Got some from Africa
How do you store them? I have some cool bills from Poland, Barbados, India, Australia, Iraq that I would like to keep properly instead of in a box hidden away.
I had a big jar. I was in my teens back then. I worked in a restaurant so I saw a lot of different countries.

I remember seeing some countries that nobody ever talked about

I make pepper mills. There has been a lathe sitting in the corner of my workshop for a decade or more, seemed it should get used. Lee Valley sells the mechanisms , so $20 for the inerds and about $10 for the wood blank and a couple hrs and you have a peppermill worth about $5 at any garage sale. Going to corner the market.

Basically you'd be further ahead if you didn't make me a pepper mill but sent me $100.00 for me not asking you to make me one.

Macrame, ceramics, tie dying etc: Making things to give to away to people that don't want them.

The hobby of restoring stuff, bikes, cars, boats etc is a labour of love. If you recoup your materials you're doing well. If you want to make money you have to treat it as a job and fix stuff for other people that pay you a reasonable rate. Then it's not usually fun.

Doing commission pieces is one way of making a buck but if a person puts 100 hours into a hand sewn item the minimum wage tab is well over a grand. Most people would rather go to Walmart for something from the Pacific Rim.

I restored a cedar strip utility boat over a few years as therapy. I spliced in a new bottom plank, new transom, new spray rails and gunnels, new deck, stripped out 50 years of varnish and re applied new high end spar varnish. I sold it for about what I spent on materials.

If a person took a bush find to a wooden boat shop the tab would have been around eight grand. I wasn't using the boat and it would have deteriorated so I took comfort in it going to the right people. Therapy

Last edited:
Thanks for that tip @meme & @riceburner
Hopefully the bills that I have been keeping in regular photo albums aren't too effed

Sent from the Purple Zone

My dad has been buying equipment recently for doing woodworking things...a lathe, planer, joiner, sander, and all huge fitting into a small shack. Sure the planer/joiner/sander have come to be useful as we buy unfinished wood from even HD and it's way cheaper than the finished wood. However, I highly think that he's gotten his money out of it yet...especially for the lathe where he's building candle holders because someone told him they sell for $100+ for a set of 3...same with cutting boards...

in the end, he's enjoying just keeping busy and keeping his mind and fingers sharp so I enjoy all the pieces he gave us. As a business....no chance he'll recover the cost of all that equipment anytime soon.

Basically you'd be further ahead if you didn't make me a pepper mill but sent me $100.00 for me not asking you to make me one.

Macrame, ceramics, tie dying etc: Making things to give to away to people that don't want them.

The hobby of restoring stuff, bikes, cars, boats etc is a labour of love. If you recoup your materials you're doing well. If you want to make money you have to treat it as a job and fix stuff for other people that pay you a reasonable rate. Then it's not usually fun.

Doing commission pieces is one way of making a buck but if a person puts 100 hours into a hand sewn item the minimum wage tab is well over a grand. Most people would rather go to Walmart for something from the Pacific Rim.

I restored a cedar strip utility boat over a few years as therapy. I spliced in a new bottom plank, new transom, new spray rails and gunnels, new deck, stripped out 50 years of varnish and re applied new high end spar varnish. I sold it for about what I spent on materials.

If a person took a bush find to a wooden boat shop the tab would have been around eight grand. I wasn't using the boat and it would have deteriorated so I took comfort in it going to the right people. Therapy

At this point my mother is basically breaking even with knitting, by doing various local craft shows. It keeps her in yarn and since she's retired it's something to do, to get out of the house.

My dad has been buying equipment recently for doing woodworking things...a lathe, planer, joiner, sander, and all huge fitting into a small shack. Sure the planer/joiner/sander have come to be useful as we buy unfinished wood from even HD and it's way cheaper than the finished wood. However, I highly think that he's gotten his money out of it yet...especially for the lathe where he's building candle holders because someone told him they sell for $100+ for a set of 3...same with cutting boards...

in the end, he's enjoying just keeping busy and keeping his mind and fingers sharp so I enjoy all the pieces he gave us. As a business....no chance he'll recover the cost of all that equipment anytime soon.

That's one hell of a collection! Pretty much everything needed for table making and cabinetry.

That's one hell of a collection! Pretty much everything needed for table making and cabinetry.

Oh he's great at woodworking and has made our table, some cabinets, breakfast area all with those tools. He's spent a ton of money on it all, but uses it for his hobby and wants to do more commercial/commission work. Just not sure how to get into that. We've saved a good chunk on some other projects. He keeps laughing that I'll inherit all of it and won't know what the hell to do with it! Maybe that's a good hobby to try...woodworking and more time with dad.

Oh he's great at woodworking and has made our table, some cabinets, breakfast area all with those tools. He's spent a ton of money on it all, but uses it for his hobby and wants to do more commercial/commission work. Just not sure how to get into that. We've saved a good chunk on some other projects. He keeps laughing that I'll inherit all of it and won't know what the hell to do with it! Maybe that's a good hobby to try...woodworking and more time with dad.

I was decently paid for some bookshelves once because they had to be specific dimensions to fit an existing space. They were four times the Walmart price but stronger and the right size. It came from word of mouth.

Any time your dad makes something he needs to take pictures and make a portfolio. Stay off the beaten track because there are countless deck and shed builders out there.

Stay off the beaten track because there are countless deck and shed builders out there.

Knowing what it costs me to build projects, I shudder to think how they build the sheds you see for sale. I figure the 108 sq ft shed will cost me ~5K to build. It looks like the going rate for a 150 sq ft shed on Kijiji is 4000 to 5000 delivered. Mine will have pressure treated wood where required, for those prices, I would be surprised if the sheds lasted 5 years.

If people want to play with 3D modelling as a hobby, I highly recommend Autodesk Fusion 360. Although everything else Autodesk offers is basically at extortion prices, 360 is free for non-commercial use. It even does stress/buckling/modal frequencies/thermal analysis if you are designing fun bike parts.

EDIT:
I forgot how awesome Kijiji ads are, this guy is selling the 10'x10'x6" concrete slab with his shed. Another good hobby would be collecting these ads. I am sure there are enough to keep a blog fed.

1 10x10 and 1 8x12 shed for sale

6" concrete slab sided, shingled, insulated and dry walled. Make an offer
Text Todd 6138473440

Last edited:
I quilt.

Thinking of getting into custom bike covers and race canopies. Not the actual canopy but somehow attaching to the existing one for advertisement/promo. Gonna be tricky as the tents are usually not great and I don't want to add to the failure rate of these things.

A quilted bike cover would be pretty sweet

There is a lathe, bandsaw, jointer, thickness planer, two table saws, three sliding miter saws, drill presses, and boxes of skil saws, cordless drills , plate joiners, rotary hammers and routers and bits..... and in the last year I made about 3 dozen pepper mills. My mom knits and wins first prize at the fair then donates the baby outfit to the hospital gift shop. She and i could start a cottage industry, start with 500K capital and quit when we are out of cash.

@crankcall I'll give you $5 for a custom peppermill. ?

Sent from the Purple Zone

Back
Top Bottom