Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 143 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

for some reason, 0-60 mph in 3.3 seconds combined with all wheel drive and superb chassis manners impresses me more than being able to fit a dishwasher in it.

... until you need to move a dishwasher.

The QC still scares me. Bumper covers shouldn't detach from driving through a puddle. That's probably not an assembly-quality issue ... it's probably a design issue ... the cover simply isn't designed to be attached securely enough. Normally there's not a whole lot holding them on, usually a few clips and screws, but it's enough to stay put in normal and even slightly-abnormal driving.

I know Sunny S hates Fiats. I have one. After 84,000 km, the rear bumper cover is still attached :)

I’m a proud member of the “my bumper has never fallen off” EV owners club.

I’m a proud member of the “my bumper has never fallen off any of the vehicles I’ve ever owned... even the really ****** ones” club.
Lolz
Me too.

@BrianP, don't forget about me when you're just about done with that Fiat.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Out of all the vehicles mentioned above, only the tesla doesn't require a paper bag over your head while driving.

Spot the defect:

Dkq4vQtU8AAYPU5.jpg

Serious question: is it possible that Tesla has two people doing qc per car? One on one side, and one on the other?

Serious question: is it possible that Tesla has two people doing qc per car? One on one side, and one on the other?

Given Musk's inclinations, it's more likely that they have no check for mismatched parts at all.

If there is a human inspection ... you are dealing with a person who is doing the same thing once a minute and checking many things within that minute. "Lock door and confirm door doesn't open. Check. Unlock door and open it. Check. Is interior trim panel there? Check. Power window down. Check. Power window up. Check. Close door. Next ..." and nobody notices that there is a mismatched panel.

Automated inspections can be set up to check for this sort of thing (automated vision check) but automated inspections will only check for what they're programmed to check for, and NOTHING else. If it wasn't programmed to check for matching trim parts ... it won't. Automated inspection is absolutely and totally incapable of thinking "outside the box".

(I work in this industry)

cosmetic, no big deal.
I will disagree. I am a firm believer that of you miss the small things, you are also missing the big things.

No one is questioning powertrain electronics. It's bodyshell, interior, and trim that they're having trouble with.

We drove another 150KM between both out Volts today, I'm proud to be able to report the bumpers have not yet fallen off on either car.

And all our doors match.

I’m a proud member of the “my bumper has never fallen off any of the vehicles I’ve ever owned... even the really ****** ones” club.

We drove another 150KM between both out Volts today, I'm proud to be able to report the bumpers have not yet fallen off on either car.

And all our doors match.

I had the bumper fall off on a Buick LeSabre once. I was stopped at a light and the guy behind wasn't paying attention, and ran into me. The bumper didn't fall off until a couple of weeks later, when and errant tow truck driver tried to lift the car by the rear bumper. Lucky it didn't come off on the highway, those bloody things weighed over 100 pounds I think. A Volt may have fit in the trunk.

Last edited:
Here's another example of a detail that they did not get right.

[video=youtube;rk1QRJjHjsM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk1QRJjHjsM[/video]

Fixing this, at this point ... will be a headache. Either the seal needs to have a higher profile and project above the trajectory of water coming off the rear window (and thus have to be compressed by that distance every time you open and close the trunk ... probably won't last forever), or the seal needs to be recessed further back putting it further away from the window so that water coming off the window would fall down far enough to not overshoot the seal ... except that this would reduce the useful size of the trunk opening, and doing it would require serious changes to metal stampings, both of the inner trunk skin (to allow clearance for the seal to be further back) and the window frame (to position the seal further back from the edge of the glass).

On a somewhat related matter, the Model 3's trunk lid is over-counterbalanced. Fixing this is stupidly simple ... so why hasn't Tesla fixed it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy4-Zccl3bI

The latch evidently requires too much effort to catch, too ... which is somewhat related to the water-intrusion issue, because it's too easy to leave the trunk lid down but not latch, and then if it rains, whatever is in the trunk gets wet!

I am still slightly surprised Tesla didn't set themselves up as a supplier to all other manufacturers and dominate EV powertrains. They seem to have powertrains working quite well, it's the rest of the vehicle that takes time to learn how to design from scratch. My guess is EM needed his ego stroked by having full design control and his company logo on the cars.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/wall-street-analysts-were-blown-130000652.html

Expert analysts:

"Blows Chevy and BMW Electric car engineering out of the water"

So another analysis that backs the $35,000 Tesla 3 as vaporware that will likely never be sold. Why would they lose $5,900 per car? That was just a BS figure put out for marketing purposes. I would love it if legislators stepped in to hold people to the crap they promise (eg. any order for a 35K M3 will be build in the order it came in without being perpetually placed behind more profitable models). If Tesla doesn't want to build the base model, no problems, shut your pie holes, don't pretend it exists and say the M3 starts at 44K.

Also, everyone knows the i3 has always been a turd and it's unsurprising that a $49,000 Tesla is technologically better than a $36,000 Chevy. An extra 36% goes a long way and they sure as hell didn't spend it on QC.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom