when did you start racing? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

when did you start racing?

Thanks for all the responses guys, I think i'll try it out next year.

What is the process of getting licensed? I recall seeing some guys follow an instructor around (or vice versa) when I was at Shanny at the last RACE track day / practice day is it a quick one day course? how often is it usually offered?

Also what can I expect for cost of a race weekend? and how much track time would one have compared to a track day over the course of a weekend running 2 classes?

I'm riding an 08 ZX6R, what classes would I qualify for? rookie cup & 600 Extreme?

Cheers

Max

Last edited:
Check out the link below for information about racing with Race.
http://www.shannonville.com/index.cfm?action=school.race

When they post of the schedule for 2017 sign up for the school. Last year it was run on the same day as the first test day of the season.

For the school it's a day long course. You'll spend some time in the classroom reviewing flags and race procedures then you're broken into groups and your instructor will ride with your group for the rest of the day. The main thing is to make sure you're safe for yourself and other racers. Don't try to be fast and impress the instructor ;)

A race round weekend is Friday practice, Saturday is practice in the morning (one maybe two sessions) followed by qualifying races. Sunday is practice in the morning (again one maybe two session) followed by races.

Below is the fee schedule from last season. If you pre register for rounds (1 week before) you'll save yourself about $50.

http://www.shannonville.com/assets/files/2016raceregistration.pdf

Note: If they still run the mentor program in 2017, you and your mentor save 50% of the fees for the Saturday and Sunday or the round they mentor you in. You have to register at the track to take advantage of that.

Last edited:
I started out as a corner marshal with CRCA in 1990 and did that again for 1991.

I took the FAST school in 1991. I think I did one track day with my street-bike Ninja 750 that same year. Track days were a new concept back then.

I bought a trashed EX500 race bike in 1991 and went racing in 1992. Back then, there was no SOAR and no regional series. If you wanted to do that, you had to travel the country. Ken (kneedragger88) and I split a ride in his pickup to St-Eustache (then called Deux-Montagnes). Good thing, because I high-sided and whacked my head and was in no shape to drive home.

I did occasional track days back then but it has never really been a priority. Sometime around 2008 (might have been 09) I got in a situation going into corner 5 at Bogie, in the red group, that scared the bejeebers out of me, and it was because of another rider who didn't know what the heck they were doing out there. Since then, the only track days I've done have been special occasions, tracks that I otherwise wouldn't get a chance to ride, things like that. I took 2006 off because my mom was in ill health and did a few track days (not racing, to placate family) that year - that confirmed the decision.

I've had the same race bike since 1996. It has been apart a few times ...

One other thing, I'm a couple months and change from 50 now. I started at 25.

Others who know me may have noticed that no other family member of mine has ever been seen at a racetrack. I have zip, zero, zilch support from family. They don't get it. I'm envious of those who bring their families to the track ... I've never had that happen and at this point it's pretty safe to say that it never will.

Others who know me may have noticed that no other family member of mine has ever been seen at a racetrack. I have zip, zero, zilch support from family. They don't get it. I'm envious of those who bring their families to the track ... I've never had that happen and at this point it's pretty safe to say that it never will.

This makes me sad and thankful. :(

The main thing is to make sure you're safe for yourself and other racers. Don't try to be fast and impress the instructor ;)

I did a school on a cbr125, guys i was leading on 600 and 1000, needless to say i hope they both learned, as i was waiting for them to catch up.

Brian I feel Ya, only my girlfriend has ever come to the track, in the early days. until she watched frank T run me over in T2 pro. only time back was 2008, last rnd. when I already won the CSBK twins class so chances of drama where low.
Oh the stores we could tell.................................................

The main thing is to make sure you're safe for yourself and other racers. Don't try to be fast and impress the instructor ;)

I did a school on a cbr125, guys i was leading on 600 and 1000, needless to say i hope they both learned, as i was waiting for them to catch up.

Brian I feel Ya, only my girlfriend has ever come to the track, in the early days. until she watched frank T run me over in T2 pro. only time back was 2008, last rnd. when I already won the CSBK twins class so chances of drama where low.
Oh the stores we could tell.................................................

Ive had you run around the outside of me corner one at Shanny, flat stick on your R1...I think I shyte myself a little bit...

I used the cbr125 just to prove to the students, you dont need hp to have fun and go fast.

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to get into racing in Canada and thought to use this thread to get some insight from you guys.
Background - Raced (Street/Track/Dirt/Desert) in India for 4 years on a 150cc.

Info that I need:
- Segments to race in
- Can the engine and bike specs (except the CCs be altered)
- Good place to start (in order to get a license and track time)
- Effect on insurance if you disclose that you'll be using the bike on track (say for a Ninja 250)

Thanks!

Im in the same boat, only gf and friends have ever come to the track, very hard to afford at 18 years old. Lucky for me cycle city helped me sponsorship, and sbs,ngk,mezteler, without that there's no way I could have afforded any of it.

I'm 53 now, an my parents never came to see me race. My Wife has been coming to the Track with me for more than 30 years. She still married me after watching me crash my brains out in the early years!

Info that I need:
- Segments to race in
- Effect on insurance if you disclose that you'll be using the bike on track (say for a Ninja 250)
Hi Goku,
First determine which organization you want to race in. There are two in Ontario.
RACE - http://www.shannonville.com/index.cfm?action=motorcycle.race
SOAR - http://www.soaracing.ca/

All rounds for RACE are held at Shannonville motorsports park.
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Sh...3226df066888a520!8m2!3d44.226977!4d-77.161458

All rounds for SOAR are held at Grand Bend Raceway
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Gr...ee55c866f5bcaa!8m2!3d43.2933176!4d-81.7194497
- Segments to race in
For these two you'll need to consult the rule book for each organization.
RACE - http://www.shannonville.com/index.cfm?action=motorcycle.rules
SOAR - rule book - http://www.soaracing.ca/html/rulebook.html
SOAR - classes - http://www.soaracing.ca/html/soar_classes.html
Both organizations run a racing school. You can sign up on those sites. The schools are normally run on a practice Friday.
RACE - http://www.shannonville.com/index.cfm?action=main.race
SOAR - http://www.soaracing.ca/html/forms.html
NOTE: Other schools:
Fast School:you can also complete Fast phase 1 as a requirement for your race license. This is a school that runs out of Shannonville. http://fastridingschool.com/index.php
Racer5 - http://www.racer5.ca/
I would think it would void your insurance. I believe there's a line in the fine print that no one reads that states you won't use the vehicle for racing.
Do not use your street bike to race. Buy a bike that is already race prepped. If you use your street bike you will be too worried about dropping it...and you will drop it when racing.

If you go with RACE; and you mentioned a 250; there are two classes you can run it in. Lightweight production and 300 production. Full disclosure I run my 250 with RACE in those two classes that's why I'm mentioning it.

There is even a race prepped 250 on the forum for sale, http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...Honda-CBR250R-Race-bike&p=2464371#post2464371

Last edited:
I've always wondered about the price difference between lapping day's and going flat out racing for the weekend ( entry fee's, camping gear, and tires).

Racing have always tempted me as I felt that trackdays was just missing the "full on" experience of this sport. Street riding -> Canyon Carvers -> Track day Junkie -> Racer

I think I'm sold on doing a couple race weekends and occasional track days next season :glasses2:

Further to JoeyB's excellent post, I can add only one thing ... Don't forget about the possibility of racing a vintage bike! www.vrra.ca

You do not want to use the same bike for street and track. For one thing, it is time consuming to switch everything back and forth - you won't want to do that. For another, the insurance has implcations. If you have two separate bikes, one that stays on the street and which the insurance company covers, and another one that is track-only and that the insurance company doesn't need to know about (because they won't cover it anyhow), it's a non-issue.

A fair number of people give up on street riding once they start doing track days or racing. I've kept street bikes, but when you look at risks posed by other drivers, and low speed limits, and relative absence of good bike roads in Ontario, I can understand why people go track-only, or track plus dirt bike.

For those unsure of cost or level of competition, I would suggest endurace racing with SOAR. You can split the cost and you get tons of seat time. On top of that there are different classes on track so you get passed a bunch and get to pass a bunch, but no one is usually running you off track to get a position.

I've always wondered about the price difference between lapping day's and going flat out racing for the weekend ( entry fee's, camping gear, and tires).

Racing have always tempted me as I felt that trackdays was just missing the "full on" experience of this sport. Street riding -> Canyon Carvers -> Track day Junkie -> Racer

I think I'm sold on doing a couple race weekends and occasional track days next season :glasses2:

Provided that you keep a lid on the extravagance factor, cost of racing versus track days is about the same. Either way you're paying entry fees, which are in the same ballpark. Either way you need a properly track-prepped bike. The cost of that varies depending on how extravagant you get but you need not be extravagant. Either way you are going through tires. Either way you need some way to get yourself and your bike and equipment to and from the track.

Track days will give you more track time. Racing will give you better quality track time in my opinion - because you will be out there on track with others on comparable machinery, and the nature of how the events run means that if you are faster you will not have to contend with slower riders until you start lapping them and if you are slower you will not have to worry about getting in anyone's way until (hopefully) late in the race.

I'm on a small-displacement bike, and I found track days to be frustrating because other riders on bigger bikes would blow past on straightaways and then get in my way through the corners. You're not supposed to overtake going into corners - but that's the only chance I have. They say that if someone is holding you up then pull into the pits and go out on the track again to separate yourself from the bike holding you up ... that just replaces that bike holding me up with some other bike doing the same thing. In racing conditions, this is not an issue.

And if you want track time ... nothing beats endurance racing. SOAR has a 3 hour endurance every weekend. VRRA does some 2 hour endurance races.

On top of that there are different classes on track so you get passed a bunch and get to pass a bunch, but no one is usually running you off track to get a position.

LOL. Sure. No raised voices in the pits after either. Some of the tightest passes that I've had on me or my kids. Not much. I'll give you that. But don't display it as none. Bikes of different cc, speed and riders of varying speed and skill all mixed together.

For those unsure of cost or level of competition, I would suggest endurace racing with SOAR. You can split the cost and you get tons of seat time. On top of that there are different classes on track so you get passed a bunch and get to pass a bunch, but no one is usually running you off track to get a position.

Usually is the key word in that sentence. Most are good guys/girls but every once in a while there is someone a bit to eager to pass.

Usually is the key word in that sentence. Most are good guys/girls but every once in a while there is someone a bit to eager to pass.

Exactly. Much like how Brian P describes track days. Try a 3 hour endurance on a small bike that you ride fast. Fast guys go by fast and you don't see them again until they do it again later. On a small bike I have to outbrake a bigger/slower bike to only have it come back at me at the end of the straightaway with a dramatic pass and an apex park.

Back
Top Bottom