First Track Bike Purchase...Help Please | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

First Track Bike Purchase...Help Please

technically there were changes to the F3. In 97 there were minor internal engine changes, therefore A 97 or 98 WOULD NOT be legal this season (2016).

I'm sure if someone showed up for round 5 and 6 it wouldn't get protested. The difference between a 96 and 98 is what a couple of HP?

If all you're going to do is de-grease it and go track it then please post in advance your first track day. I want to make sure I'm not there just in case something 'shakes out' as you put it on the track.

You might want to get a service manual and start doing maintenance tasks before you give it the beans on a track.

Excellent use of the partial quote mechanism. Yea I will degrease it because I'm anal retentive and like a nice clean ride. Then since I down loaded my service Manual this morning I will be going coolant for the winter, fresh fluids before it hits the track and anything else I see once I strip the fairings off and give it a good once over. I also plan on taking it to a local shop that specializes in race bike to get the suspension sprung for my weight and a good baseline set up. I also have plans to trailer it to a parking lot so I can play with it and see what it's all about in a controlled measure before seeing the track.

But ya degrease and track here I come!

most people have been very supportive and helpful in this thread. Your comment has rubbed me the wrong way.

i understand the track is an exclusive type club. I wouldn't bring anything unsafe there but at some point it has to be brought to the track to see how it runs and performs.

Excellent use of the partial quote mechanism. Yea I will degrease it because I'm anal retentive and like a nice clean ride. Then since I down loaded my service Manual this morning I will be going coolant for the winter, fresh fluids before it hits the track and anything else I see once I strip the fairings off and give it a good once over. I also plan on taking it to a local shop that specializes in race bike to get the suspension sprung for my weight and a good baseline set up. I also have plans to trailer it to a parking lot so I can play with it and see what it's all about in a controlled measure before seeing the track.

But ya degrease and track here I come!

most people have been very supportive and helpful in this thread. Your comment has rubbed me the wrong way.

i understand the track is an exclusive type club. I wouldn't bring anything unsafe there but at some point it has to be brought to the track to see how it runs and performs.

I give a vote for all white body/tail/fender !

Jeezuz, don't be so sensitive. I said congrats when you got the bike. Based on the original post you basically said you'd degrease it and track it. I'll make sure I sugar coat anything I post to you from now on. ;) Please note the smiley face, I'm being sarcastic.
I wouldn't bring anything unsafe there but at some point it has to be brought to the track to see how it runs and performs.
Glad to hear it. Welcome to your new addiction.

All good JoeyB. Monday may have gotten me.

Boyo. I'm more of an all black guy got obvious reasons.

Once i I get the bike into tip top mechanical shape I can think of a colour change. Not top priority.

Cant wait. Unfortunately I don't think this will happen until next year. Can't wait to put some faces to Internet name tags.

Monday gets everyone.

If you have heated storage don't put coolant in it, use water wetter or something similar instead. Will save you having to swap it out after winter.

Unfortunately the garage isn't heated so I'll be swapping fluids. It does have water wetter in it now. Would be nice to eliminate that but a swap isn't much work and low cost.

Unfortunately the garage isn't heated so I'll be swapping fluids. It does have water wetter in it now. Would be nice to eliminate that but a swap isn't much work and low cost.

coolant is a good idea, even in a heated garage you never know when the heat may fail. draining the water wetter completely is an option.

Last edited:
when you guys swap to water wetter from coolant in the spring and back in the fall what is your procedure? I know how to do the coolant and bleed air etc... I have only done coolant old to coolant new so a full flush wasn't required.

When you guys drain the coolant in spring do you run distilled water through as well to completely push out all the coolant? Then drain the coolant and run a maybe slightly richer water wetter mix to compensate for the now straight distilled water in the system?

Similarly in the fall do you do just drain water wetter and add coolant and bleed the system? If the coolant is slightly lean from a little wetter trapped in the system it's not going to freeze. I don't see the added step of pushing straight distilled water through the system in the fall being overly necessary.

Enlighten the track newb :)

In the fall I drain the water from the water pump, fill the system with antifreeze and squeeze the hoses to the rad to remove the air bubbles. I don't run the engine with the antifreeze. In the spring I drain the antifreeze and flush with the garden hose until it's clear. Fill with water and start the bike, idle up to temp. Dump that water and fill with the proper mixture of water/water wetter.

So I have been playing with the bike a bit over the last few days.

I have taken all the fairings off and have checked out the inner workings of the machine. Cleaned up a little bit of the wire routing with some zip ties to keep things clean and not dangling. I have bleed the rear brake, waiting on my speed bleeders for the front to make life easy from here on out. Coolant and oil change to come. The front birdcage had some cracks so it's at the aluminium welders getting put back together.

I was going to replace the damaged grips with a set I had laying around at home. Here is my question:

It appears the 2003 SV650 had a special throttle tube that has a ridge on each end for the grip to lock into, anyone with SV knowledge able to help me in finding a new set of grips or if there is a work around to this? When I search online I see most grips come with a new throttle tube, that seems nutty.

So I have been playing with the bike a bit over the last few days.

I have taken all the fairings off and have checked out the inner workings of the machine. Cleaned up a little bit of the wire routing with some zip ties to keep things clean and not dangling. I have bleed the rear brake, waiting on my speed bleeders for the front to make life easy from here on out. Coolant and oil change to come. The front birdcage had some cracks so it's at the aluminium welders getting put back together.

I was going to replace the damaged grips with a set I had laying around at home. Here is my question:

It appears the 2003 SV650 had a special throttle tube that has a ridge on each end for the grip to lock into, anyone with SV knowledge able to help me in finding a new set of grips or if there is a work around to this? When I search online I see most grips come with a new throttle tube, that seems nutty.

Grips that come with a throttle tube??? I'm sure there are some out there but the ones you should be looking at (and there's quite a few) are just a grip. If the grip you get is too long and causes the throttle to hang up just trim it a little with a razor knife. I haven't had to trim any of the grips I've used over the years. I previously used the Kevlar renthal super softs but they would give me blisters because my gloves stuck to them. I switched to a set of really hard Oxford grips and they were awesome. Took me 3 pairs of gloves to figure out it was just the grips.

Sounds like your doing all the right things to make sure you have a safe machine. If you don't plan on riding it until the spring I would also suggest greasing the swimgarm pivot, suspension linkage, and steering head bearings. Too many people neglect these items that require proper maintenece.

Last edited:
I was suprised as anyone when I saw the weird throttle tube. I have replaced grips on all my other bikes over the year and it was a simple as cutting the old off and jamming the new on.

here is a link to a set i found on ebay, doesn't show the ridge on the ends of the grips but shows the exact grips I have and the fact that the throttle tube is with it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-12-SUZUK...ash=item3ac86a497b:g:jSgAAOSw5VFWKBuQ&vxp=mtr

seems like an engineering cluster %$#@. Perhaps I can sand down the ridges and just slide a normal set of grips onto it and use a little hair spray etc and be done.

Don't be so specific with the search. Just go to your local shop and buy a set of street bike grips. You can get the street bike style which is what is in your link or ones that look more like dirtbike grips that offer more grip like these.

You don't want this type with the big base.

Trim the grip so it doesn't over hang onto the clip on tube and be done with it. I don't use any adhesives just safety wire which I would suggest you do even with hairspray. A bit of wet riding and you could end up with a grip in your hand while sliding on your *** down the track.

my throttle tube looks like this one. See the chamfered and notched end near the inside control. I understand just buying regular grips, but do I butt it up against this chamfer, the OEM grips actually have a matching groove and key hole type setup that "locks" it on.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Motion-Pro-N...626053?hash=item43dfa03005:g:iagAAOSwiLdWBUA5

is this a SV thing??? My 08 Gixxer 750 just had a standard flat everywhere throttle tube.

Yep just slide it on, butt it up against the plastic ridge, and ignore the key hole.

Last edited:

On my old SV I think I hacksawed the end off to remove that flange and also make the tube shorter to clear the bar weights/sliders I had.

thanks Dricked! I'll just grab some from the local shop and trim as needed. I hope to one day be slow enough to show at the same track day as you and watch. lol

I just noticed the comment about greasing those pivot points and such as well. I'll take that into account as well.

Do track days have tech inspections, I know my bike will be safe when I make the venture out but I'd hate to get hung up and not be able to track due to some unseen rule or regulation. I know race days do have tech but I don't think I'll be racing anytime soon.

Do track days have tech inspections, I know my bike will be safe when I make the venture out but I'd hate to get hung up and not be able to track due to some unseen rule or regulation. I know race days do have tech but I don't think I'll be racing anytime soon.
Some do better jobs than others at tech inspection. It's usually more about keeping everyone else on the track safe, not you ;)

If you want to make sure you'll pass tech sign up for a Red Dawn track day at TMP, they have a few spots left for Sept 8th, and they always run the last thursday of every month.

Back
Top Bottom