Couldn't get a boost to save my life | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Couldn't get a boost to save my life

It's funny, but I just took a long trip to the U.S. during which I stopped many times at the side of the road to change gloves, jacket, take pics. I was asked several times by passers by if everything was OK, or if I needed help. In Canada nobody seems to care anymore. I think I boosted two people this year so far. I don't even think twice about it.

Tell me about it, I ran out of gas one time on Guelph Line. I had to walk about 5km one way to get gas. Busy road at 4:30 and Not one person stopped or even offered help. I also ran out in Lloydminster about 1km before the gas station. I could see the station up ahead. 4 different cars stopped to see if I need assistance, almost before I had my helmet off.

I was riding to work one morning and I saw a motorcycle stopped on the side of the road (whites and Tauton), I stopped to see if he was ok, his battery died and he asked me if he could use my phone to check when would the CAA truck arrive to boost his bike (he had previously called and they were on the way). Same day on my way home, I saw another bike stopped a couple blocks form my house so i stopped, turns out the CAA truck had just boost his bike and left, unfortunately he stalled it and now he was stock again, so i told him I was going to go home, get my jeep and give him a boost, by the time i was back turns out the CAA truck drove by and boost him again.

So not true that CAA does not boost. It did in both of these cases. Maybe you got a bad phone operator, who knows

also that sucks that has happened to you, i've broken down in toronto, gta and even north ontario and always received help from kind strangers

I think maybe CAA has a problem with consistent policies regarding motorcycles. I have been boosted by CAA before, but that was by a flatbed operator that was willing to try it (because he wasn't comfortable securing the bike).

And I've experienced both sides of this... the only scenario I remember where I couldn't get help was where I was stuck in a downtown lot with a car with a flat battery. It was a piece of crap though, which is exactly why I had CAA (which had just expired - CAA didn't care. They renewed my membership on the phone, then immediately sent help, and it still cost me less than a independent tow truck would have).

Also been stuck out here (long before I lived here, though) on a sideroad at like 2am. Not only did just about every car that passed stop and offer me help, somebody brought me coffee while I was waiting for the tow!

I would have helped if I had seen ya, but on a side note, it can be a bad idea to boost someone from a modern car.

My buddy's wife boosted someone not long ago and ended up frying one of the on board computers which ended up costing more than $700 to replace.

After hearing that (and similar stories) I now carry a booster pack in the car in case I or someone else needs a boost.

I typically keep one of the big car battery sized boosters in my trunk, that way it is always with me in case I need it. Also it's near the bike so I can use it to power my air compressor to adjust tire pressure on the bike as well. I think so far I might have helped about 4-5 others when I hear them trying to start their cars over and over and over again in a parking lot.

Arguably I've thought about a smaller Li-on unit for the bike, but since storage on the bike is such a premium, I haven't done it yet. Maybe if I were to tour for a few days I'd consider it, as I'd also probably throw saddle bags on the bike to increase its storage capacity anyhow.

WTF>
On a brighter note..... two weeks ago in Guelph, I pulled over on shoulder Hwy.6 to adjust tail bag.... within 5 minutes a group of 6 bikes stopped and asked if all was good , gave them a thumbs up, they all took off. Amazing contrast in human behavior.

Why didn't you attempt a push start? Killed the battery a few times by leaving it on but can usually manage it myself if the bike is still reasonably warm by standing up and just running then popping the clutch. Then again its not that heavy of a bike, Civic guy probably would have given you a push if the dickhead cabbies didn't...

Money for a boost?? Should have told him to go **** himself...then they wonder why everyone hates them.

Last edited:
Tell me about it, I ran out of gas one time on Guelph Line. I had to walk about 5km one way to get gas. Busy road at 4:30 and Not one person stopped or even offered help. I also ran out in Lloydminster about 1km before the gas station. I could see the station up ahead. 4 different cars stopped to see if I need assistance, almost before I had my helmet off.

I think it's more an Ontario/Quebec thing than anything. I won't go into detail about what's different about those two provinces.

I think it's more an Ontario/Quebec thing than anything. I won't go into detail about what's different about those two provinces.

Just make sure you hide the Ontario plate? lol

I would have helped if I had seen ya, but on a side note, it can be a bad idea to boost someone from a modern car.

My buddy's wife boosted someone not long ago and ended up frying one of the on board computers which ended up costing more than $700 to replace.

After hearing that (and similar stories) I now carry a booster pack in the car in case I or someone else needs a boost.

I carry this, but there are cheaper options:

81NSatLsz1L._SY355_.jpg
That will happen when people don't know what they're doing. The newer cables now also have tech that auto senses and protects.

Btw. Surprised uber doesn't have this as a service. They'll deliver you groceries and your lunch.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Btw. Surprised uber doesn't have this as a service. They'll deliver you groceries and your lunch.

Liability issues. They're liable to put the cables on backwards.

Liability issues. They're liable to put the cables on backwards.

So along with the battery pack one carries a responsibility waiver?

Where does some Good Samaritan act kick in?

Decades back when you could push start a car a GF's father broke a co-worker's taillight helping the guy out. The guy wanted my GF's father to put it on his insurance.

I'd be most annoyed at CAA than anything else--isn't this situation EXACTLY the reason you have membership? Uber is basically a bank exploiting the low standards of the taxi industry and municipal/county apathy towards public transit. Cabbies will be cabbies, no surprises there. The service station at least had jumper cables, though in my experience they're variety stores at this stage, not technical assistance.

Personally, I would have bought the jumper cables and then reward Civic Guy for being an unprepared Samaritan. Your bike gets a boost, Civic Guy can then potentially help others in the future (if my house wasn't close by). People have been jerks or jewels since forever. A couple of drifters who helped my car out of a jam one winter were so adamant about not being paid that I nearly had to stuff cash into their jackets. To this day I still don't know where they came from. It was -15C, 10pm and the neighborhood was completely deserted.

#SharkTankThatShit

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

This is why I hate most people.
Just help people without the expectation of payment. The satisfaction of helping fellow man should be reward enough. What's wrong with being good, for good's sake. #FTW

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

I'd be most annoyed at CAA than anything else--isn't this situation EXACTLY the reason you have membership?

Yeah I was quite annoyed with CAA. As soon as the bike didn't start I thought, "No problem. I have CAA. I'm at the very least not stranded."

They sent me a survey and I told them what I thought about them, but was sure to praise the flat bed driver for being awesome.

Personally, I would have bought the jumper cables and then reward Civic Guy for being an unprepared Samaritan. Your bike gets a boost, Civic Guy can then potentially help others in the future (if my house wasn't close by).

I thought about it but I wasn't sure if he was just finding a way to politely say he didn't want to boost from his car. I grew up with my dad always saying that he never carries boost cables in his car because he never wanted to give anyone a boost because he didn't want to ruin his car. (very selfish of him and he's not the only person I know that feels that way)
Anyways....it might not be the best approach to get help but I didn't want to put anyone out. I asked people for a boost because my bike wouldn't start and I didn't push for anything more. If I was far from home or in the middle of nowhere it would have been different but I was a 5 minute drive from my house so I didn't wanna inconvenience anyone else because I was low on electricity. lol

Just help people without the expectation of payment. The satisfaction of helping fellow man should be reward enough. What's wrong with being good, for good's sake.

Amen.

Back
Top Bottom