check your pressure or risk death | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

check your pressure or risk death

With the catchy title of this thread I decided to read the posts.

Wow, just wow.

Simply put, if you have a question in regards to your motorcycle the first place you should refer to is the manual, if you don't have a manual contact your manufacturer, go to a dealer or buy one online.

Also, if people are going to post what they do with there motorcycles when it comes to maintenance and/or safety aspects they really should put a disclaimer on their post or at least an explanation as to why, so others can easily understand, technical information should not be "implied" it should be fact.

Ride safe!

#2-3 and I'll let it grow a bit in the winter to keep me warm. I always have a groomed facial beard and never on the neck.

It's nice and simple.

Hhahaha gems

OP is right. Always follow the swingarm reading. Unless you track your bike and have knowledge of what works best for your tires suspension combo.

OP is right. Always follow the swingarm reading. Unless you track your bike and have knowledge of what works best for your tires suspension combo.

Or unless you have rim locks installed to prevent the rim from slipping in the tire and you prefer a very low pressure when riding in sand or mud.

I was running stock psi in my rear and the flat spot I got after 10k was pretty wide. I had a local guy who races change it out for me and he recommended I run more around 38psi than 33. I ended up putting in about 35 cold and it feels pretty good. Swingarm on my bike at lowest load capacity says 29 for the rear (33 for max), that just seems way too low. On my old flatland bmx bike I ran 120 in a pair of Primo Walls! That thing would roll foreverrrrrrrrr........

I too have a TPMS. Set both my tires to 36. However, due to the tire warming up it usually sits around 38. With temperatures depending on the actual weather. Cold temperatures the front tire is usually 17 degrees and the rear about 20 degrees. Today was much warmer 26 degrees front and 28 degrees. rear.
120/70-ZR. 17. Front.

240/45-ZR-17 Rear. Need new tires every year.

The weather has fluctuated significantly so what you put in weeks ago likely has changed, especially is you are using gas station pumps...due to condensation/moisture in the tank that you unknowingly added to your tire.

Many ppl don't realize their bikes don't handle properly or they have a hard time steering.
Check your tire pressure with a proper gauge NOT the one at the gas station.
Most sport bikes suggest 36psi front and 42psi rear...I tend to subtract 5psi from each tire for general street use.
Also look carefully for small bulges and cracks, if you see them, change your tire asap.

Also check your blood pressure or risk death.:p

A fluctuation in barometric pressure can affect the tire pressures and readings in that they are PSIG (Gauge).

Yeah and when the tire warms up a bit, guess what ...goes right back to correct readings.
Fool's errand chasing barometric swings...

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by -D-

Most sport bikes suggest 36psi front and 42psi rear...I tend to subtract 5psi from each tire for general street use.

I agree with the point you're trying to make regarding people checking tire pressure, as it does have a big part in handling and safety. However....

Red - That's a little presumptuous. People should check their manual, swingarm or VIN plate to get the manufacturers recommended tire pressures.

Blue - Why? What makes you think that you have better knowledge than an international company's R&D department that they have spent millions of dollars on?

Did you notice the 2 keywords which starts in your red and blue are MOST and I?

I bet you a few ppl here have about 20 psi front and wondering what is wrong with them or their bike...but guess what...they are likely not going to post up here and admit that therefore the post serves as a general reminder for all.

Lol.What a porker my wing is.I run 41/45 in it.

If people are taking their technical advice from a forum, they have more issues than their tire pressure.

Blackfin I stand corrected - If that is what the dunlop website says then Like I said if i was wrong I would admit it.

However, no way I will go with the PSI recommended on the manual, way to high.

Wow, just wow.

Simply put, if you have a question in regards to your motorcycle the first place you should refer to is the manual, if you don't have a manual contact your manufacturer, go to a dealer or buy one online.

Also, if people are going to post what they do with there motorcycles when it comes to maintenance and/or safety aspects they really should put a disclaimer on their post or at least an explanation as to why, so others can easily understand, technical information should not be "implied" it should be fact.

Ride safe!

Last edited:
check your pressure or risk death

this is way over the top ....scaremongering.
Yeah - check the pressure...I have a TPMS but "risking death" due to a couple lb of tire pressure variance......not a chance.

You can certainly feel a few psi difference and FYI the pressure when warm usually rises 3-5 lb.
Off road riders regularly take their dual sport down to 12 psi for better traction.

TPMS is a nice thing tho. The Burgman used to lose air regularly ( slowly ) on rear tires...so knowing helps. The Strom and CBF don't budge.

blood pressure or risk death then....

Thanks Riceburner...because high blood pressure is meaningless, lol

@MacDoc - let's do a test, track or street...You will start off on a regular 2 wheel bike (not scooter) ideally a sport bike...you start off 500m from hitting a ramp or series of sharp turns. You build up good corner speed....except your front and rear tires are at 12psi...not a chance you say, lol

Or you use the gas station gauge but did not know you overfilled the tires. You are riding 2 up and it's a 35c day...straight highway moving at 100-140kmh...
same high pressure and it starts to rain...what do you think can happen if you have to swerve or brake to avoid something.

Clearly some of the replies here demonstrate ignorance.
Those racing dorks are wasting their time developing tires on a track...like duh, fill them to 36/42 psi guys and girls...what can go wrong.

When you invest the time to understand how your bike works and set it up for your style of riding...it usually leads to greater happiness and confidence which equals safer funnnnnnnnn

Nearly ten years ago I had a discussion with a motorcycle tire product manager. For liability reasons I choose not to disclose who this was or which tire manufacturer he worked for.

[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]"There are no hard and fast rules on air [/FONT][FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]pressure[/FONT][FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]s.[/FONT]

[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Depends what you want from the [/FONT][FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]tire[/FONT][FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]s and how you ride the bike.[/FONT]

[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]If you ride the bike hard and are looking for performance, the lower[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]the [/FONT][FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]air [/FONT][FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]pressure[/FONT][FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal] the better.[/FONT]

[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]If you are looking for mileage and not riding hard, then typically[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]higher is better."

[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]"On race tracks we typically use 31 front and 29 or 30 rear. The rear[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]will get very hot and increase [/FONT][FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]pressure[/FONT][FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]. Also, you need as much grip as[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]possible in the rear.[/FONT]

[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]However, the street is a different story.[/FONT]

[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]I had a CBR900RR and experimented. I found the [/FONT][FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]pressure[/FONT][FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]s I liked the[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]best were 34 / 34 - I am also 170 lbs."[/FONT][FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]

[/FONT]

I run 36F 42R

Feels good to me, although the rear end will slide around when I push it on a cold day. But that's more to do with my dirt track experience and the superior power my bike is putting to the ground.

Last edited:

Wow, just wow.

Ride safe!

lmk what point you would like to debate with me
Did you miss the other post with more details?
Notice I said what IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII do.

Riddle me this...it's Sunday morning at 7 am you getting ready to go for group ride...you don't have a manual, the manufacturers are closed, the bike shops are closed...now what?

As my tire was dying, i tried different pressures...

I didnt like the -5 psi feel
(so 31f37r)
When i got it back higher i liked the handling much better

I run 36F 42R

Feels good to me, although the rear end will slide around when I push it on a cold day. But that's more to do with my dirt track experience and the superior power my bike is putting to the ground.

Your fantasy world must be a fun place for you.

I run 36F 42R

Its more because your tire is over inflated and the road conditions. Superior power......c'mon.

You start with a cold pressure, what happens from there is of little concern when riding on the street. Don't run 20psi in a tire that calls for max 42psi. That max psi is for when you have a heavy load. Drop it 5 psi and you'll end up with a nicer ride and better grip. Play around with pressures a little bit and find what you like BUT be diligent on checking the tires and use the same gauge. Thats all the PSA was about, make sure your not riding on flat tires. Jeez.

Yeah and when the tire warms up a bit, guess what ...goes right back to correct readings.
Fool's errand chasing barometric swings...

Years ago I had to do a preliminary evaluation of a part for a serious containment system to see if we were in the ballpark. I used an air pig and let it sit over a weekend. The reading went up 2 PSI. Environment Canada informed me that the barometric readings that weekend did an extreme shift.

BP is just another factor to be considered. Half the cagers IMO wouldn't notice a 10 PSI difference.

and???

The minute you ride 5 miles you shift the pressure up due to temperature of the tire ....drive through a thunder storm and your barometric -pressure drops suddenly then goes back up....really immaterial. IF you fill cold at temperature extremes you should check again when the temp is moderate.

Your tire is a sealed system and once it comes to temperature that's what you are riding at. A tire at 2c will show a much lower psi than what it was filled at at 20c. But when warmed up will come up past the 20c pressure.

No question your start point has some play in how the bike handles and your mileage but it's just a start point.

My Strom stabilizes warm at 45 and 37 front and back regardless of the ambient temp. 42 and 36 at say 20c cold.
Seeing a steady read out from a TPMS is very informative when underway and you really can dial in a best practice for slab or twists.

Back
Top Bottom