Transition Visors | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Transition Visors

I use the Bell RS1 with the transition visor, love it, expensive but worth it
Howdy Folks,

I wear glasses, have to wear them full time. Vision is still good but just s bit blurring when I don't wear them (hard to read street signs from a distance etc.) That being said I typically wear a full face helmet with a tinted visor, I love it until it gets dark outside. I hate riding with the visor open so it's a bit dangerous ( at least IMO )

So was looking at transition visors, specifically on Bell helmets.
I like the Qualifier Deluxe as it comes pre-equiped with the visor and seems to have good reviews on Revzilla Etc.
http://www.royaldistributing.com/Catalogues/Main/2016-Spring-Fall/#97/z

So, anyone riding with a trasition visor, if so what helmet & visor and what do you like and/or dislike about them.

Oh yea, tried contacts and hate them, thinking of laser surgery but $$$$

Thanks!

I have a Shoei RF-1200. Got the Transitions visor which also has PINLOCK. Loving it. I never have to worry about carrying a second visor OR fogging. Great Helmet and Visor combo.
This is my second RF-1200 this year as the first was damaged in an accident. Helmet saved my life so I got the exact same one.

You can get those helmets with the little "sun visor" that slides down from inside the helmet but they aren't SNELL certified. Something about the space needed for the visor inside the lining making it unable to pass SNELL Certifications.

I've had my Vortex for 5yrs now. Love that visor, best thing of that helmet.

I am planning on upgrading to a Bell Star with transition

Howdy Folks,

I wear glasses, have to wear them full time. Vision is still good but just s bit blurring when I don't wear them (hard to read street signs from a distance etc.) That being said I typically wear a full face helmet with a tinted visor, I love it until it gets dark outside. I hate riding with the visor open so it's a bit dangerous ( at least IMO )

So was looking at transition visors, specifically on Bell helmets.
I like the Qualifier Deluxe as it comes pre-equiped with the visor and seems to have good reviews on Revzilla Etc.
http://www.royaldistributing.com/Catalogues/Main/2016-Spring-Fall/#97/z

So, anyone riding with a trasition visor, if so what helmet & visor and what do you like and/or dislike about them.

Oh yea, tried contacts and hate them, thinking of laser surgery but $$$$

Thanks!
Was about to suggest transition glasses but since you don't like contacts so ... :-(

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I also have a bell vortex (seems like its a popular lid).

I used to just ride with a clear visor and my eyes would get really tired of staring at the glare non stop.

With the transition shield... the witchcraft works instantaneously (almost) and is just plain awesome. Got it on sale half price too otherwise wouldnt have been able to afford it lol

Tempted to get one for the next helmet (need to replace in a year), but it is just too expensive imo. Also I typically always have tailbag on me with water, rain layer, etc and it is easy to throw either the tinted or clear visor in it as well.

Next helmet will be a RF-1200 to replace my RF-1100...and I think the transition visor is around $210, vs about $80 (or less on sale) for a tinted to go with the stock clear. If it was only a $20-30 mark up, I'd probably give it a try, but not really at double the price.

lol, $20-30 mark up, you really don't know how these things work do you?? $200 over the course of the life of your helmet is nothing when you break it down to how many hours of use you're getting out of it...you're paying for the technology, licensing and convenience.
Just the manufacturing involved in a photochromic product warrants at least double that. I'm in the optical industry, when you get the exact same pair of lenses and add transitions as an option the price goes up $60-80 for the pair of two little lenses and that's the generic version. What the hell makes you think a whole visor should only be $20-30 more especially one that is an official Transitions licensed product??

I've got one on my RF-1200 and its great, plain and simple.

Last edited:
Any thoughts about the Shoei GT Air for the OP? I am very partial to the "Cog". Very expensive helmet but probably less than an RF 1200 with an extra shield. You lose the Snell certification but it seems like the best solution for most people (being able to raise or lower the sunshield as conditions warrant).

The GT Air is a bit cheaper than an RF1200 + extra tinted visor + pinlock insert. The transitions visor on the RF1200 would make it way more expensive (+ $200, or $250 with pinlock insert) than the GT Air.

The drop down visor on the GT Air is quite nice. Optically, it has no distortion at all unlike lots of cheaper drop downs. And it is not spring loaded, so you can position it exactly where you want it. It also comes down far enough that the bottom edge isn't right in your field of vision.

Unfortunately, the GT Air really pulled at my face when taking it off. They've made the helmet entrance very snug to cut down on wind noise, so it is noticeably harder to put it on and take it off. It tries to rip my eyelids off when I take it off, and you can find similar complaints about ears when putting it on. It is comfortable when it's on, though.

+1 For the Shoei RF1200 with the transition visor. Well worth the cost. Works excellent. Only negative I have noticed in my short time using it is that it takes longer to go back to clear than it does to dark tint. Sometimes when going under a long overpass that gets dark for example it's difficult to see. But I suppose you would have the same problem with any tinted visor. Other than that it's great. One of the best gear purchases I have made.

lol, $20-30 mark up, you really don't know how these things work do you?? $200 over the course of the life of your helmet is nothing when you break it down to how many hours of use you're getting out of it...you're paying for the technology, licensing and convenience.
Just the manufacturing involved in a photochromic product warrants at least double that. I'm in the optical industry, when you get the exact same pair of lenses and add transitions as an option the price goes up $60-80 for the pair of two little lenses and that's the generic version. What the hell makes you think a whole visor should only be $20-30 more especially one that is an official Transitions licensed product??

I've got one on my RF-1200 and its great, plain and simple.
And also to address conundrum,

If you really think about it, you're calculating it wrong.

One transition visor does the job of 2 visors
So if you say it's $80 for one
Then you have to say that for the equivalent it'd normally be $160
From there on each one of them, there's a 20 dollar markup and you're at $200 :p

And also the convenience of not needing a bag (that costs money) to carry it or the time that you forgot the extra visor because it's not as convenient as the other one that's always there, or the time that your ride ran into problems and your planned ride that was supposed to last only during daytime ends up running into after dark...

ETC.
But i guess im a hypocrite in all that because i bought my $160 bell visor for about $80 lol

What kind of contacts did you try? There are tons of them out there, if you tried some and didn't like them, you should try one of the newer types; they're pretty good. I often forget I'm wearing them.

That said, most glasses are poly-carb and won't shatter easily if you're riding with your visor open. They'd have to be hit pretty hard. If they're glass lenses, don't be a cheap ass and get some proper lenses.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I have a transition visor for my Bell RS-1 and love it.

Only reason I have to take my visor off now is to clean off bugs. Transition between tinted and clear is so smooth, it's almost not noticeable except for the fact you're not being blinded by the sun or blind in the dark.

I got it free during a promo, but would probably pay the $100 for another one if I were to get a new helmet.

Or transition rx glasses

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Nope, that doesn't work. The transition depends on getting hit by UV. Behind the visor or in the car they don't darken cause UV gets filtered somewhat. Or at least the ones I tried a decade ago didn't.

Nope, that doesn't work. The transition depends on getting hit by UV. Behind the visor or in the car they don't darken cause UV gets filtered somewhat. Or at least the ones I tried a decade ago didn't.
Same thing happened to me about 2 years ago so ... yeah

Same thing happened to me about 2 years ago so ... yeah

This.
But did I mention that I just use Easy Clip glasses with the sunglass clip on?

427593fd65bb6936fa31ac346447f16c.jpg
6a224140902c1c3be38e64082195e623.jpg

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Got those too. I usually have 3 pairs of RX glasses on me. Sunglasses, Regular with sunglasses clip-ons and short distance/computer glasses with the clip-ons. The joys of needing sight correction.

Looking at a picture of the Qualifier DLX, I see that it has the same side vents as the Vortex. On the Vortex, these fairly useless vents are what's creating ALL of the noise when you're riding above 50km/h. Try taping them up and see if it makes a difference. It's night and day on the Vortex.

b8o6Q4t.png
I've just taped them, imma give that a try and edit this post when i report in.

I dont have much experience with helmets but yeah, its a pretty noisy one

Not looking to spend 500+ on a helmet. Don't get me wrong I love Shoei etc.. The Bell appeals to me as it comes with it as a package and gets good reviews and is within my budget. For the amount of time I ride during the season I'm sure it will suit my needs just fine.

I wouldn't trade my transitions lens for anything. That's why I've stuck with Bell. I believe they are now available for other helmet brands though.
It's awesome that the thought of changing visors doesn't even occur to me. Doesn't matter where I am, street or track. The visor does its job and does it well.

Back
Top Bottom