HID questions | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

HID questions

Based on the new safety standards being implemented in Ontario, retrofit hids fail and you should not be able to get safety's if you wanted them. Just something to keep in mind.

I've personally never certified a bike or car with HID's in a housing designed for Halogens; that includes projectors designed for halogens (ie. 04-14 R1's) The old standards IMO already gave me grounds to fail them, and the new standards just add clarity.

Anyone who has an issue is more than welcome to send me the $1000 to add projectors for the maybe 5 times I ride at night.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
If you really feel that way, then by all means send one of us the couple of hundred bucks that you save by not doing something so stupid.

For a bike you're better off getting some low mounted LED's that can help people judge your distance.
Don't forget to aim them properly. Too many people skip this step, and end up blinding and distracting the people in front of them.
It's bad enough approaching another vehicle on a narrow cottage road at 200+ kph. Worse still, if you need to blind each other to see past.

I've had people pull in behind me and then run high beams, and that's just with the standard lights on my newer minivan.
They usually figure it out when I flash the high beams afterwards. I can't see how running non OEM lights will improve on that record, especially if you only believe you need them a half dozen times. Slow down and ride/drive within your lights. Try cleaning up the outer glass/plastic.

Don't be that guy/gal.

The problem with projector retrofits on motorcycles is that a projector throws a "letterbox" pattern that is fine in a straight line but add some cornering angle to the mix and the rider best be good and brave riding into the dark.

Forget about the crappy HID in reflector housings and just get a premium bulb that works in the housing that was designed for that light (unless you want to look like boy racer in his clapped out ebay special civic) ...doing anything otherwise will just have a negative effect. Too many people go HID for the white light or for more light when a good bulb will do just the same.

I just spent $40 on 1 bulb the other day since mine went out, now I have a nice white colour and is much brighter than the original. Some cars are still designed with halogen lighting so something has to still be working...bulbs have progressed though so go that route.

Last edited:
If you really feel that way, then by all means send one of us the couple of hundred bucks that you save by not doing something so stupid.

Don't be that guy/gal.

This doesn't make any sense...read my comment again maybe.

That's why I went with 35w instead of 55. I'll get less heat. I also know riders with the same set up who haven't had any issues with melting

35w is what melted my friends headlights. black spots inside it.

This doesn't make any sense...read my comment again maybe. Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Sure it makes sense. You were planning on buying cheap ones, and finally agreed that buying the cheap ones was useless when you asked people to pay for the expensive ones for you. People then stated that the expensive ones were just as useless. So you should return the favour, and share some of the money you saved, from other people's advice. Your not one of those types that can take it, but can't dish it out, are you?

Sure it makes sense. You were planning on buying cheap ones, and finally agreed that buying the cheap ones was useless when you asked people to pay for the expensive ones for you. People then stated that the expensive ones were just as useless. So you should return the favour, and share some of the money you saved, from other people's advice. Your not one of those types that can take it, but can't dish it out, are you?
I didn't ever agree they were useless. They're far better than stock, I didn't even consider projectors because I knew the cost.

Me saying that people can pay up if they're offended was a nice way of saying shut up about it already, your opinion won't change anything. Maybe I should be more blunt next time so you are able to comprehend my statements.

I'm not sure about you guys, but I don't live near Toronto where you would pass hundreds of cars at night. All my riding takes place on country roads where animal crossing is common, and you don't pass a ton of cars. The more light the better where I live.

Last edited:
Are you sure you are turning your civic lights on? It drastically improves visibility. Something about civics, most cars I see without lights on are civics.

I didn't ever agree they were useless. They're far better than stock, I didn't even consider projectors because I knew the cost.

Me saying that people can pay up if they're offended was a nice way of saying shut up about it already, your opinion won't change anything. Maybe I should be more blunt next time so you are able to comprehend my statements.

I'm not sure about you guys, but I don't live near Toronto where you would pass hundreds of cars at night. All my riding takes place on country roads where animal crossing is common, and you don't pass a ton of cars. The more light the better where I live.

Then in all honesty, you're better off with a high quality halogen bulb. The problem with HID is the size, shape, and light output characteristic means most of the light misses the focal point in the housing. you get the illusion of better, brighter light; but more often then not, you're actually putting less light on the road. Just some food for thought

Plus spending $1000 on projectors just so I don't "piss people off" on the very few times I need to ride at night seems a little stupid to me

Yes, because spending a little money to do something correctly so you don't blind the operator of the 5000 pound missile closing on you at a combined ~200KPH while you ride your 500# piece of tin with absolutely zero crash protection is "stupid".

Congratulations, you're "that guy" that everyone else curses at while on the road. Clearly you've never been blinded by a ****** HID conversion. Here's hoping it never happens to *you* while you're riding at night some day, around a sharp corner, and suddenly you can't see anything anymore.

Last edited:
Yes, because spending a little money to do something correctly so you don't blind the operator of the 5000 pound missile closing on you at a combined ~200KPH while you ride your 500# piece of tin with absolutely zero crash protection is "stupid".

Congratiualtions, you're "that guy" that everyone else curses at while on the road. Clearly you've never been blinded by a ****** HID conversion. Here's hoping it never happens to *you* while you're riding at night some day, around a sharp corner, and suddenly you can't see anything anymore.
Like mentioned earlier, when using projectors at night you can't see around the corners. You're essentially riding into black, which isn't so safe.

I'm flashed by other drivers MORE with the projectors in my truck than I ever did with my old truck that had HID'S in yhe reflector housing. In my experience I've found projectors to be just as bad as reflectors.

Besides let's get real here guys...the lights aren't going to be anywhere near as bright and high pointed as in a car. A bike with HIDs won't be as harsh to pass as a car with hids would be.

The OP asked a question, I answered it. He didn't ask for your opinions on the set up.

Hi everyone,

I am looking to get HID for 2 Civic and a CBR600RR. Hope someone can help.

Should I get Kensun? Are there better brands for 100 or less? It will cost me 500 to change all headlights to HIDs
Do I need to remove the fairing to change to HID on my CBR?Or can I just reach in and change it? Do I need to buy a rely for the CBR?
Legal issues with HIDs?

Any other additional tips before I spend money will be greatly appreicated. Thanks in advance

Like mentioned earlier, when using projectors at night you can't see around the corners. You're essentially riding into black, which isn't so safe.

I'm flashed by other drivers MORE with the projectors in my truck than I ever did with my old truck that had HID'S in yhe reflector housing. In my experience I've found projectors to be just as bad as reflectors.

Besides let's get real here guys...the lights aren't going to be anywhere near as bright and high pointed as in a car. A bike with HIDs won't be as harsh to pass as a car with hids would be.

The OP asked a question, I answered it. He didn't ask for your opinions on the set up.

Look again please.

Anyways, the hardest part seems to be in aiming the lights, as many people appear to be skipping this important step.

Back
Top Bottom