2016 gsx-r 1000 | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2016 gsx-r 1000

That front end white stripes have been copied shamelessly from Ducati way too much. Honda , Yamaha and now Suzuki.

I think only Kawa remains the only innovated Jap brands.

....read this in a review of the big bikeshow in italy...it rings true to me...

"Also, I think Suzuki is going to be a quiet winner. Their new Gixxer is not the next-gen hyperbike that people were hoping for, but it is a step forward. And they’re smart to bring back the SV650. At this point, the originals are almost considered classic bikes, since they debuted in the ’90s. Yet, there’s nothing wrong with the platform, and bringing it back in through more up-to-date version is smart for Suzuki, especially if they keep the price down.
While Suzuki has not had as much innovation in recent years as their competitors, moves like the re-introduction of the Bandit 1200 at a bargain price, and now the SV650, should attract buyers who want a good motorcycle at a decent price and are not as driven by new tech. It’s a smart survival technique."

theres a bunch of details on the 1000 here:

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2015/11/suzuki-displays-not-quite-a-concept-gsx-r1000-in-milan/

Last edited:
I might finally upgrade

I might finally upgrade
Wait until 2017 / 2018. VVT at the rpms of a superbike could equal grenade. I certainly hope not, but honda has been doing this for 30 years on the VFR and they still have problems.

Function over form has always been Suzuki. Looks like they've given that up with that tiny MV Augusta F4 headlight. I like the current rear light as well. And why take the signals off the mirrors? That was a brilliant idea to integrate them. I guess the aftermarket will take care of that. I was hoping to see an Italian style (Ducati, MV) form-fitting style gas tank.

The author is wrong tho, the K9 was also a brand new GSX-R 1000. Good to see an upgrade tho. And great to see them doing really well in MotoGP. Go Team Suzuki!

Edit: Suzuki should reach out to gsxr.com and gixxer.com and ask their customers what they want. I've seen some brilliant concepts. My only complaint with Suzuki is they are so far removed from, and don't listen, or have the care to listen to their long-time customers. If they did, they would have rolled out something entirety different and stole the Italian market back.

Last edited:
I thought VFRs were pretty bullet proof? I was considering getting one if insurance isn't too bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1swqHt6SAH0#t=145

Looks just like an 03-04 GSXR1000. Same tail/cowl/front drive light/similar side panels. See 1:11 of the vid and tell me you don't see the old bike in it. Love the new wheels though.
Yes it does a bit but I'm glad trunk space is not reduced to just holding your credit card. Plus Porsche has been almost using the same design since inception. If it works don't change it

FFS, When the hell will they update that design? Same with the R6. The only ones who have them beat in the "milk the design" segment is Porsche.

Back-track of the day. After seeing more pix, looks awesome! Can't wait for the 600/750 update.

As I've said before, we'll see how it works in practice. It has a lot of catch-up to do, at least for the track. I have no doubt it can be competitive, but I'd like to see it first.

Lack of IMU is interesting... trusting the TC of a bike without it? Ehhhh I dunno, knowing the lean angle of the bike is useful information for power application, one thinks...

I thought VFRs were pretty bullet proof? I was considering getting one if insurance isn't too bad.

They generally are, they have not been doing VVT for 30 years though. VVT is only 2002+

Wait until 2017 / 2018. VVT at the rpms of a superbike could equal grenade. I certainly hope not, but honda has been doing this for 30 years on the VFR and they still have problems.

This is a different system, which appears to use centrifugal force to change the camshaft angle relative to the sprocket - an interesting, if perhaps somewhat inflexible, approach. The VFR disconnects two valves per cylinder (completely) at lower revs. I haven't heard of many actual reliability problems with the Honda system - mainly complaints about driveability; because the system is "binary" - on or off - it can cause some hiccups if you are running the engine near the conditions where it switches over. Suzuki's system will progressively change the cam timing as the RPM changes. How durable ... remains to be seen.

Automotive VVT systems generally use engine oil pressure to actuate a set of vanes within an adapter-housing between the cam sprocket and the camshaft. These systems have generally been reliable. Remains to be seen whether Suzuki's centrifugal/mechanical system is designed to survive being hammered on by every power stroke and every cam lobe ...

Function over form has always been Suzuki. Looks like they've given that up with that tiny MV Augusta F4 headlight. I like the current rear light as well. And why take the signals off the mirrors? That was a brilliant idea to integrate them. I guess the aftermarket will take care of that. I was hoping to see an Italian style (Ducati, MV) form-fitting style gas tank.

I smell bean counters.

Edit: Suzuki should reach out to gsxr.com and gixxer.com and ask their customers what they want. I've seen some brilliant concepts. My only complaint with Suzuki is they are so far removed from, and don't listen, or have the care to listen to their long-time customers. If they did, they would have rolled out something entirety different and stole the Italian market back.

Are Suzuki owners actually asking for something different?

To ME (Not a Suzuki owner), this gixxer continues the tradition of being almost indistinguishable from the prior generation aside from the graphics ... Yes, if you put them next to each other, you can spot differences, but the overall theme is the same and it hasn't really changed in 15 years ... I get the feeling that Suzuki was dragged into the ABS / traction control era kicking and screaming ...

They generally are, they have not been doing VVT for 30 years though. VVT is only 2002+
So are there problems with the vtech models? Most of the ones I see are vtech.

So are there problems with the vtech models? Most of the ones I see are vtech.

the phone company now makes engines?

126953d1272891212-what-vtech-head-can-fit-d15b-vtech-vt20-2431.jpg

The main problem with the VTEC Honda VFR's has been voltage regulators ... nothing whatsoever to do with the VTEC mechanism.

Another thing has been driveability issues if you are cruising at an RPM near the change-over point. It isn't a "reliability" problem since the engine is working fine - there is just a hiccup when it changes over which is noticeable. In my line of work this would be considered a "driver irritant".

The other thing is that setting the valve clearances becomes an absolute bugger of a job (read: expensive). The camshafts have to come out to install a locking device for the VTEC valves then re-installed to actually check the clearances, then out again to remove the locking devices, and if it actually needed shims and the mechanic wishes to check their work (a confirmation that the shim change resulted in the correct clearances) the cams have to come out once more to do that. And being a V4, there are twice as many valve covers, camshafts, and tensioners to deal with as an inline engine would have. Beware of a VFR being sold just prior to the scheduled valve clearance check ... or which is beyond the valve clearance check and it hasn't been done ...

This is a different system, which appears to use centrifugal force to change the camshaft angle relative to the sprocket - an interesting, if perhaps somewhat inflexible, approach. The VFR disconnects two valves per cylinder (completely) at lower revs. I haven't heard of many actual reliability problems with the Honda system - mainly complaints about driveability; because the system is "binary" - on or off - it can cause some hiccups if you are running the engine near the conditions where it switches over. Suzuki's system will progressively change the cam timing as the RPM changes. How durable ... remains to be seen.

Automotive VVT systems generally use engine oil pressure to actuate a set of vanes within an adapter-housing between the cam sprocket and the camshaft. These systems have generally been reliable. Remains to be seen whether Suzuki's centrifugal/mechanical system is designed to survive being hammered on by every power stroke and every cam lobe ...

I smell bean counters.

Are Suzuki owners actually asking for something different?

To ME (Not a Suzuki owner), this gixxer continues the tradition of being almost indistinguishable from the prior generation aside from the graphics ... Yes, if you put them next to each other, you can spot differences, but the overall theme is the same and it hasn't really changed in 15 years ... I get the feeling that Suzuki was dragged into the ABS / traction control era kicking and screaming ...
Suzuki owners aren't asking, they've been screaming / demanding a new 1000. But there's no one home at Suzuki. I'll bet you a dollar that greater than half of GSX-R 1000 owners have left Suzuki for BMW. Which is ironic as the S1000R was stolen from Suzuki by BMW. It's basically a finessed GSX-R 1000 loaded with electronics. Suzuki makes great products, but their business practices are kind of pathetic.

Last edited:
Suzuki owners aren't asking, they've been screaming / demanding a new 1000. But there's no one home at Suzuki. I'll bet you a dollar that greater than half of GSX-R 1000 owners have left Suzuki for BMW. Which is ironic as the S1000R was stolen from Suzuki by BMW. It's basically a finessed GSX-R 1000 loaded with electronics. Suzuki makes great products, but their business practices are kind of pathetic.

This is 100% accurate. Can confirm. I didn't go to BMW though, having become bored with inline-4s on the street.

Suzuki makes great products, but their business practices are kind of pathetic.

Not really. There was a recession, Suzuki pulled out to survive. They pulled out their automotive dealerships in Canada because they wanted to survive. Now that the economy is showing growth they are back in the game. I believe that is a wise choice, there won't have been much sales anyway. Why spend so much on something that won't have a big audience.

Better to have survive that be bankrupt. Suzuki have a particular business practice & I can tell throughout the ages

Obviously the recession didn't help matters, but Suzuki automotive pulled out of North America because of botched product planning - period. The rebadged Daewoo products that GM foisted on them should have been yanked from the market as soon as GM left the partnership, if not sooner, and "real" Suzuki products should have been brought back in. The general public saw the Daewoo underneath and wasn't fooled by the Suzuki badge. The Kizashi (a genuine Suzuki) was actually pretty good, but was far too little, too late.

The Suzuki Swift that they sold in that era was the same as a Chevrolet Aveo which was a renamed Daewoo, and was widely scorned. At the same time, the real Swift sold elsewhere in the world was reported to be pretty good, but we never got it.

Back
Top Bottom