Waiting for pedestrians to cross entire road before proceeding? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Waiting for pedestrians to cross entire road before proceeding?

We were waiting for a guy on a mobility scooter to cross at the lights so we could make right turn in the cage. He stopped in the middle of the intersection to take a swig of his coffee. The few seconds lost weren't worth running the guy over but the screw-the-cagers attitude is getting a bit over the top.

We were waiting for a guy on a mobility scooter to cross at the lights so we could make right turn in the cage. He stopped in the middle of the intersection to take a swig of his coffee. The few seconds lost weren't worth running the guy over but the screw-the-cagers attitude is getting a bit over the top.

lol, that is a very Nth American thing eh. Most places Ive visited as a pedestrian cars seem to have the right of way ;)

Which illustrates the value of having a Nautilus (or a ChiNautilus at 1/3 the price) installed in your cage :cool:

Which illustrates the value of having a Nautilus (or a ChiNautilus at 1/3 the price) installed in your cage :cool:

What do you use that for? Throw it at him? ;-)

latest

[video=youtube_share;2uvPdU3j7Qc]http://youtu.be/2uvPdU3j7Qc[/video]

14 officers wrote 165 "fail to yield to pedestrians at crosswalk" tickets in 3.5hrs.

Ontario, brace yourselves...

[video=youtube_share;2uvPdU3j7Qc]http://youtu.be/2uvPdU3j7Qc[/video]

14 officers wrote 165 "fail to yield to pedestrians at crosswalk" tickets in 3.5hrs.

Ontario, brace yourselves...

Well at least it was a "balanced blitz" afterall they also ticketed the jay walker..lol

A couple of days ago, I saw that a cop had pulled over a bicycle on the Expressway in K-W. Divided limited-access ... no bicycles allowed. So it does appear that if a bicyclist tries really, really hard, and does something really, incredibly stupid, it IS possible that a cop can pull them over for something.

Meanwhile I almost hit one that didn't obey a 4-way stop near my house ...

A couple of days ago, I saw that a cop had pulled over a bicycle on the Expressway in K-W. Divided limited-access ... no bicycles allowed. So it does appear that if a bicyclist tries really, really hard, and does something really, incredibly stupid, it IS possible that a cop can pull them over for something.

I'll be surprised to see one that does

With respect to this new law I really hope that they remember this little bolded point:

(7) When under this section a driver is permitted to proceed, the driver shall yield the right of way to pedestrians lawfully within a crosswalk. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (7).

I'll be surprised to see one that does

Last weekend my gf and I almost got run over by 3 cyclists that all blew through the same red light while we were trying to cross the street. Only the last one even said anything after I said, "Wtf man?" Actually the only reason I didn't get hit is because my gf held me back.

Yesterday I almost ran over two that were going the wrong way down one ways and blew through what should have been a stop (they had no stop since they obviously don't put signs facing the wrong way on one ways). Both different roads near my house.

Getting a bit annoyed.

Unless they are purposely crossing slow, it's not worth the potential hassle of a ticket, lawfully within a crosswalk or not....so I just let em finish crossing.

With respect to this new law I really hope that they remember this little bolded point:

(7) When under this section a driver is permitted to proceed, the driver shall yield the right of way to pedestrians lawfully within a crosswalk. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (7).

Depends on how far behind the cop is on his quo... I mean "performance expectations" :cool:

I know this'll fall into the "if someone else jumped off a bridge" territory, but what are everyone else's thoughts about when you are side by side with another vehicle, and they proceed once the ped passes the line into the oncoming lanes... which is pretty much everyone else on the road. I've usually proceeded to wait, but if there's another vehicle behind me I can imagine they are thinking / saying "WTF, move idiot," which itself doesn't bother me, but at the same time I've come to simply decide that if someone else goes ahead then I might as well (after a short pause) because if anyone is going to get nabbed it'll be the other guy.

The choice to go through the crosswalk without waiting for the pedestrian to cross is your choice. You should never be pressured to break the law, unless it's a life or death situation. ie. the driver behind you pulls out a gun and tells you to get out of their way.

If officers doing crosswalk enforcement are on foot, they can easily walk on to the street and wave multiple vehicles down at one time. The exception would be is if he's in a vehicle like the one in the video. Then it's most likely a one at a time situation.

What gets me too is this 'holier than thou' attitude most pedestrians have these days regarding the cars around them. I can't count the number of times they stop in the street to answer a text, or walk as slowly as humanly possible. They also seem to think they can sue you if you hit and kill them...think about that one for a second...lol

I also notice it when trying to turn into into a condo 8 times out of 10 -- They don't even look up, or attempt to move faster when they see they are holding up 8 or more cars waiting to turn left into the driveway. I also still remember almost dropping my 250 a few years back because there was a slow walker, and I aimed to come around behind him, but when he saw me he stopped walking and stood in front of me, causing me to break suddenly in the middle of my turn.

I swear, people must look at me like I'm an alien when I cross the street -- I look both ways (left, right then left again, just like driving), walk quickly, and also scan the road to make sure all see me/look over my shoulder when I'm about to cross into the lane where cars might attempt to turn left (into me). I'm surprised people don't take photos. lol

Last edited:
As a point of interest, this law is being completely ignored in Toronto. It pretty much has to be, or there would be permanent gridlock.

As a point of interest, this law is being completely ignored in Toronto. It pretty much has to be, or there would be permanent gridlock.

Flipped through all the posts, but was there ever 100% confirmation on if this was just marked cross-walks, or if it included all intersections (eg. traffic lights and stop sign controlled)?

Flipped through all the posts, but was there ever 100% confirmation on if this was just marked cross-walks, or if it included all intersections (eg. traffic lights and stop sign controlled)?
It's only for marked crosswalks.

Regular intersections, that would basically prohibit any possibility of a left/right turn during rush hour. City could save a lot of money on signage.

Example: https://goo.gl/maps/GK2dx

Maybe the OP could post a quote of message 57 and 60 to clarify the situation where this law applies..

The Highway Traffic Act differentiates between a "pedestrian crossover" and any other place where a pedestrian may cross.

The new law MAY apply to pedestrian crossovers if the crossover is at an intersection, but crossovers require specific signage to be considered a "pedestrian crossover" for purposes of that change in the law.

It starts with the definition of a pedestrian crossover in the Highway Traffic Act.
"“pedestrian crossover” means any portion of a roadway, designated by by-law of a municipality, at an intersection or elsewhere, distinctly indicated for pedestrian crossing by signs on the highway and lines or other markings on the surface of the roadway as prescribed by the regulations; (“passage pour piétons”)"

The Highway Traffic Act specifically calls out "pedestrian crossover" in the changes to the law.
Pedestrian crossover
Duties of driver
(1) When a pedestrian is crossing on the roadway within a pedestrian crossover, the driver of a vehicle approaching the crossover,
(a) shall stop before entering the crossover;
(b) shall not overtake another vehicle already stopped at the crossover; and
(c) shall not proceed into the crossover until the pedestrian is no longer on the roadway. 2015, c. 14, s. 39 (1).

This is different from pedestrians crossing at an ordinary crosswalk at an ordinary intersection, where there is no duty stipulated to not continue until the pedestrian is completely off the road.
Yielding to pedestrians

The signage referred that makes a crosswalk a "pedestrian crossover" subject to the new law can be found in the "Signs" regulation under Pedestrian Crossover. http://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/900615#BK5
image030.jpg
image031.jpg
image032.jpg
image036.jpg

If it doesn't have the required signage, it is not a pedestrian crossover that requires you to stop until the pedestrian is completely clear of the road. It is merely a crosswalk, a different animal, that only requires you to yield and not interfere with the pedestrian after which you may continue once the pedestrian has cleared your path of intended travel.

The changes to the HTA refers to a specific type of crosswalk specifically referred to and specifically defined in the HTA as a "pedestrian crossover", which is different from an ordinary "crosswalk" as also specifically referred to and defined in the HTA.

If the signage is not there for a given crosswalk, that crosswalk does not meet the stated definition of a pedestrian crossover to which the new legislation refers, period.

Few pedestrians realize know the jaywalking laws. Downtown will be a disaster. They cross when the light is green but "Don't Walk" is flashing. If they're rushing for a bus it's "Every man for himself".

In the city core they might as well say No turns as there is always someone crossing or approaching.

Jaywalking laws? In Canada, you can't cross at a crosswalk disobeying the light, but it's not illegal to walk on the rest of the roadway (unlike the USA, where it is).

Back
Top Bottom