Getting over a crash...how? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Getting over a crash...how?

youre problem is u overthink things. u have a "monkeye brayne" as they said. like most peoples. getting into viscyous cycle of tying to find prob, and ways of corecting problam.

unless yur simptoms are signifficantlly afecting ur normale everydaynes activities (u dont wanna go to work anymore, stopping seeing frends, thughts of suisicde), then pasychiatrist wont see you. but u can see a pasycologists insted but you pay maybe $160 per our. personably, i tink itll make things worse. why? b/c prob is over-tinking. go see sharink, and what they say: oh, lets tink about it some mure!

wit my most beatiful smiles and warmestest feelings with all my merriest thouts, i said: try mindfullness. read very good book: "Mindfulness: 8 weak plan fur finding peace in frank world" bye Mark WIlliams. also can try: http://rodalebooks.s3.amazonaws.com/mindfulness/index.html

all my bestest feelign to you! :)

oh, and by way... my warmest feelings said: i saspect that youre situatian has very litle to do with crash. it ur way of tinking overalls. i tink.

I got PTSD reading this.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Went for a different kind of ride today...just picked a direction and went rather than overcoming the freak out triggers...

Finally enjoyed riding again.

The best way to get over a crash is to talk about it. You need to raise awareness. Then examine all physical and psychological facets of the crash. Invite input from other crashees. This will provide perspective both from hard numbers and intuitive flavour with which to synthesize a strategy going forward. Best of luck to your journey.

This makes the most sense.
Watch Twist of the Wrist, it will teach you the physics of what went wrong and fully understand what happened, which will lessen the irrational fear of the bike just crashing for no reason. Even when you understand that, it takes time for your brain to rewire. Until then, sunny days and clear roads, don't try to much too fast.
It will get better.

avoid the pinecones and keep the shiny side up. :D

This. It takes time to mentally get over a crash. Keep your technique proper and reinforce good habits. If you find yourself freaking find a way to calm yourself, look where you want to go (don't fixate). With time and practice you will get over it and back to having fun. If it takes you longer than most, that's fine just do it at a pace you are comfortable with.

This. Get lots of street time before heading back to Mosport. Don't push the pace, just focus on technique and enjoying the ride. Get off the bike more in corners so you can keep it a bit more upright in a position to get more traction. Focus on the feel and feedback from the bike. That's what I've been doing this spring. I also broke my collar bone in December. Went down on glare ice in that freak snow storm at the beginning of the month. I'll be at Mosport that weekend. We can compare X-rays.

Oh, and try to avoid riding in snowstorms. In hindsight, it was kinda stupid.

Watch Twist of the Wrist, it will teach you the physics of what went wrong and fully understand what happened, which will lessen the irrational fear of the bike just crashing for no reason. Even when you understand that, it takes time for your brain to rewire. Until then, sunny days and clear roads, don't try to much too fast.
It will get better.

The fear isn't entirely irrational. I've never been fond of how knee dragging feels or scraping hard parts. Reason behind the crash was because I leaned over too much during turn 2/3 which has an uphill portion and caught the right peg; not only did I drop the throttle out of panic, I tapped the front brake and flipped the bike lol I'm assuming the front suspension was already fully compressed because I might have hit the right peg hard enough to lift the back wheel.

This. Get lots of street time before heading back to Mosport. Don't push the pace, just focus on technique and enjoying the ride. Get off the bike more in corners so you can keep it a bit more upright in a position to get more traction. Focus on the feel and feedback from the bike. That's what I've been doing this spring. I also broke my collar bone in December. Went down on glare ice in that freak snow storm at the beginning of the month. I'll be at Mosport that weekend. We can compare X-rays.

Oh, and try to avoid riding in snowstorms. In hindsight, it was kinda stupid.

Every mistake is stupid in hindsight. I actually lowsided coming onto my driveway sometime in March due to a patch of ice lol

The best way to get over a crash is to talk about it. You need to raise awareness. Then examine all physical and psychological facets of the crash. Invite input from other crashees. This will provide perspective both from hard numbers and intuitive flavour with which to synthesize a strategy going forward. Best of luck to your journey.

GAWD, it was a joke. I gotta lay it on thicker or pack it in altogether:(

Mental imagery with a lot of self-talk, visualizing the correct action over and over again helps.
Then get back on the saddle and just take it easy, just ride for fun. When you're comfortable again, do a track day or another FAST or similar course.

Give yourself time, but keep riding, keep practicing.

油井緋色;2307141 said:
The fear isn't entirely irrational. I've never been fond of how knee dragging feels or scraping hard parts. Reason behind the crash was because I leaned over too much during turn 2/3 which has an uphill portion and caught the right peg; not only did I drop the throttle out of panic, I tapped the front brake and flipped the bike lol I'm assuming the front suspension was already fully compressed because I might have hit the right peg hard enough to lift the back wheel.

You mean after 2 into three? A lot of people have crashed at 2/3 over the years, the elevation and camber changes throw everyone off.

You mean after 2 into three? A lot of people have crashed at 2/3 over the years, the elevation and camber changes throw everyone off.

Yup...it was the turn I was most comfortable with too funny enough. The lap before I had gone in with the throttle wide open (CBR125 lol) so I tried leaving it open after turn 1 to see if I could carry more speed. ****** body position and taking a tight line were both factors too. I'll go back and pussyfoot it next month lol

This is confusing. You're talking about the big track, he crashed on the new RDT track.

This is confusing. You're talking about the big track, he crashed on the new RDT track.

I think both tracks have an elevation change on turn 3? Depends if you count the 2 kinks before the first turn out of the pit as turns in the RDT/DDT.

Wait. On the day he crashed and broke his collarbone, you were on a bike that had a "Kohlarbonez" sticker?

That is correct...
I broke my collar bone, and another forum member (DoozerDave) mashed my last name together with collar bone and came up with "Kohlarbonez". It was pretty clever, so I figured I would use it.

That is correct...
I broke my collar bone, and another forum member (DoozerDave) mashed my last name together with collar bone and came up with "Kohlarbonez". It was pretty clever, so I figured I would use it.

lol...

Will you be there this year?

油井緋色;2306885 said:
Thanks for the advice everyone. Went for a different kind of ride today...just picked a direction and went rather than overcoming the freak out triggers...

Finally enjoyed riding again.
Glad you're making some progress. May I also suggest trying a different type of bike, like a standard or even going off road on a dirt bike for now.

so yeah, I had a pretty bad get off at TMP June 22 last year, popped my shoulder out and severed the (humerus) bone just past the ball. There ia a plate and pins holding it together.

I was back riding on the street by the end of august, but only went out a few times due to work and personal issues.

This past weekend, I went back to TMP with the same SV 650 to face my demon....it didn't turn out exactly as planned, I was alot slower that I thought I would be. I felt myself tensing up in the corners and not getting off the bike as much as I used to.

I think I'm going to try the DDT track at the end of June, but this time take my 250, not sure.

Glad you're making some progress. May I also suggest trying a different type of bike, like a standard or even going off road on a dirt bike for now.

Thinking of getting onto dirt because I want to get used to the rear sliding out. Not sure how to start this though...

so yeah, I had a pretty bad get off at TMP June 22 last year, popped my shoulder out and severed the (humerus) bone just past the ball. There ia a plate and pins holding it together.

I was back riding on the street by the end of august, but only went out a few times due to work and personal issues.

This past weekend, I went back to TMP with the same SV 650 to face my demon....it didn't turn out exactly as planned, I was alot slower that I thought I would be. I felt myself tensing up in the corners and not getting off the bike as much as I used to.

I think I'm going to try the DDT track at the end of June, but this time take my 250, not sure.

I know exactly how you feel. I hyped myself up the whole winter season thinking "once I get back on the bike, I'll be faster than I was before"...nope lol tense and freaking out is more like it.

Back
Top Bottom