Naked Sportbikes | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Naked Sportbikes

It is aweasome, I used to look at guys with naked bikes and thought to myself "what is wrong with this people" now that i ride one, I get it....Wind protection is only an issue 135 and up on the HWY, not gonna lie, at 170 and over it feels like you are holding for dear life but thankfully none of us ride that fast ;).

There are some small options on small wind shields that look good and just offer you enough wind protection
Hi can anyone tell me what its like coming from a fairing sportbike to a naked? I been debating on naked bikes for awhile and wonder whats it like living with 1. Is it that bad since there is no wind protection? If I do get a naked bike I wouldn't want a windscreen cuz it looks cheesy.

We all are and do

I have a FZ09
I'm a bit of a aggressive rider. I been thinking of the fz-09, street triple R or Z1000. But if the wind is gonna beat me everytime I ride than I guess I should stick to a fairing sportbike. I like hitting the twisties and hit the highway most of the time when going far distances.

I love Yamaha, but..... If you're an aggressive rider... Avoid the FZ-09.... Unless you wanna buy a new suspension front and rear, right away. Bike has loads of power, it's an awesome wheelie machine.... but that suspension is garbage. This wasn't on stock setting either, this was all set up.... It's unfortunate, or I would own one. I would check out the Z1000 or KTM Super Duke 1290. The SD is quite the piece of machinery apparently, need to check one out myself.

When I had my 650R I once took it for a ride with no fairings, lights, gauges, etc installed. It was actually calmer because the 09 650R's windscreen just blows all the air from the entire front end into your face. With no screen it's smoother air.

The day I picked the Shiver up I had to do a 2 hour ride home from London on 401 at +2 degrees. The bike definitely lived up to its name that night.

Was it at Inglis? I saw that bike, sat on that bike, almost thought about buying that bike...

So you are going to avoid an entire bike with a great engine because of a stock shock? The front suspension is fine and the rear shock can be replaced for a zx6r or zx10. Even if you spend 1k in suspension you are still way ahead in price.

Some people really don't know what they are talking about
I love Yamaha, but..... If you're an aggressive rider... Avoid the FZ-09.... Unless you wanna buy a new suspension front and rear, right away. Bike has loads of power, it's an awesome wheelie machine.... but that suspension is garbage. This wasn't on stock setting either, this was all set up.... It's unfortunate, or I would own one. I would check out the Z1000 or KTM Super Duke 1290. The SD is quite the piece of machinery apparently, need to check one out myself.

Some bikes that have only flyscreens or bikini fairings can still have amazingly effective wind protection. I wouldn't tour on a bike that had neither. Even short highway stints can get tiring quick if you're riding into a headwind.

Some naked bikes have OEM flyscreens that don't look terrible. Like the air-cooled Monsters, for example.

Bike has loads of power, it's an awesome wheelie machine.... but that suspension is garbage. This wasn't on stock setting either, this was all set up.... It's unfortunate, or I would own one. I would check out the Z1000 or KTM Super Duke 1290. The SD is quite the piece of machinery apparently, need to check one out myself.

Let's see..
FZ09 MSRP = $8999.
KTM SD MSRP = $19749

There's almost $11,000 difference between the 2. For $11,000 you can more than upgrade the suspension on the FZ09. You can buy a second FZ09 if you really want to.

LOL I ground off the midpipe exhaust bolts on my 86 VFR750 with aggressive riding at about 30000 kms on possibly the worst stock suspension ever. I doubt the Yamaha has worse 29 years later.

LOL I ground off the midpipe exhaust bolts on my 86 VFR750 with aggressive riding at about 30000 kms on possibly the worst stock suspension ever. I doubt the Yamaha has worse 29 years later.
Don't know about that but the rear shock is really garbage, but there are cheap upgrades ($60 to 180) and expensive Ohlins/Penske (700US - 1k).

The front can be adjusted and made better for street riding, now if you are going to do track then you need to invest some coin on the suspension but the bike wasn't build for the track.

Just funny how people read something somewhere and like to regurgitate it without really haven't ridden the bike.

Don't know about that but the rear shock is really garbage, but there are cheap upgrades ($60 to 180) and expensive Ohlins/Penske (700US - 1k).

The front can be adjusted and made better for street riding, now if you are going to do track then you need to invest some coin on the suspension but the bike wasn't build for the track.

Just funny how people read something somewhere and like to regurgitate it without really haven't ridden the bike.
You're the only person who say anything remotely positive about the shock, everybody hates it

You're the only person who say anything remotely positive about the shock, everybody hates it
Did I just not say the shock was garbage?

The front forks I can live with and I am used to good suspension

One other detail, on a naked bike you feel more airflow, but it's clean airflow, less turbulence and noise IMO.

Agreed. Throw a $100 rear shock form a zx on it. Maybe another $100-$200 on some progressive springs and oil, toss in some gold valves/emulators if you like.
The reality is you can set up the suspension just fine for street riding for very little money.
The difference in insurance cost for an fz09 and say a 1000ss will pay for the suspension upgrades in less than a year... Just sayin

I prefer naked for working on, but like the wind protection in the cold. So, a half faired would be my choice.

I was able to remove the fairings on my GSXR 750 in no time, I was also able to do an oil change on the gixxer without removing any fairings. I had to remove the tank on the FZ09 and it was a major pain in the ***. I find Suzuki to set their bikes very easy to be worked on, same with my GSXR 1000 which is really easy to be worked on.

I love the FZ09 but Yamaha can do better on the small build quality items.

I prefer naked for working on, but like the wind protection in the cold. So, a half faired would be my choice.

It's awesome! So glad I did, still love sports bikes but the nakeds are nicer to ride for longer, better for 2 up, and can actually be more exhilarating if they have decent power like so many of the new ones do. IMO the supernakeds are the best bikes on the road

If I were in the market for a naked bike, the Z1000 would top my list. IMO it has amazing power, great handling, very comfortable and I actually really like the way the new ones look. For a bike to stomp around on for day trips and maybe an over nighter, I think its a tough bike to beat.

Well I haven't ridden the fz09, but I think it wud still be a great buy compared to the street triple r in terms of price. Even upgrading the suspension, I believe your still saving some money. I just don't want the bike being unstable during aggressive riding. this will be a street bike not a track bike. I f i was considering a track bike I wud keep my zx6r.

Back
Top Bottom