Yield to traffic inside the intersection | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yield to traffic inside the intersection

It's not illegal to get stuck in the middle of an intersection under the HTA. Municipalities can pass bylaws against it if they wish and Toronto has done so. That is where the blitzes come from.
There are applicable HTA charge to vehicles who get themselves stuck inside an intersection.

HTA 170(12) - Interfere with traffic: $65 fine & no points

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90h08_e.htm#BK250

Vehicles interfering with traffic

(12) Despite the other provisions of this section, no person shall park or stand a vehicle on a highway in such a manner as to interfere with the movement of traffic or the clearing of snow from the highway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 170 (12).​

If the intersection has a white and black sign that says 'Do Not Block Intersection' then you just turned a $65 + 0pt ticket into a $110 + 2pt ticket (HTA S182 Disobey Sign).

The police definitely have the tools to enforce intersection blockers, but I haven't seen any campaign or programs that addresses this problem. Just today, I was at Steeles & Norfinch, YRP cruiser right beside me watching Ontario's finest block 400 off-ramp traffic. He did absolutely nothing about it; it's as if business as usual.

I just see 'Speed Kills Campaigns', and OPP holding up 40km/h slow down signs on the 407: https://twitter.com/OPP_GTATraffic/status/545981340668416000

There are applicable HTA charge to vehicles who get themselves stuck inside an intersection.

HTA 170(12) - Interfere with traffic: $65 fine & no points

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90h08_e.htm#BK250

Vehicles interfering with traffic

(12) Despite the other provisions of this section, no person shall park or stand a vehicle on a highway in such a manner as to interfere with the movement of traffic or the clearing of snow from the highway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 170 (12).​

If the intersection has a white and black sign that says 'Do Not Block Intersection' then you just turned a $65 + 0pt ticket into a $110 + 2pt ticket (HTA S182 Disobey Sign).

The police definitely have the tools to enforce intersection blockers, but I haven't seen any campaign or programs that addresses this problem. Just today, I was at Steeles & Norfinch, YRP cruiser right beside me watching Ontario's finest block 400 off-ramp traffic. He did absolutely nothing about it; it's as if business as usual.

The HTA 170(12) you quote is part of a larger section that deals with people parking or standing their vehicles in a live lane. Taken in context, it would not be the appropriate charge to lay in the case of traffic stuck in the middle of an intersection because that is not parking or standing in the sense that those acts are defined in the HTA.

The Disobey Legal Sign charge has force under the HTA only when the sign is actually a sign with stipulated wording, size and colour as defined in regulations. Toronto's "Do not block intersection" signs do not appear to fall into that category of signs, are not defined in the HTA Sign regulations, and appear to be little more than courtesy signs. Toronto's bylaw is such that it applies to all signalized intersections in Toronto whether signed or not.

You're correct about the HTA sign regulation, it appears those Toronto signs aren't enforceable thru S182

Another member from a different board received a ticket for blocking an intersection HTA S170(12)

http://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.com/topic5823.html

At the time, I was equally as surprised the HTA dealt with this.

Sure, a charge could be laid but I doubt that this charge would hold weight in a court if challenged given the wording in the section.

The wording in 170(12) being "no person shall park or stand a vehicle on a highway" and that subsection's placement in a larger section dealing with parked vehicles on highways suggests a situation completely different than being stuck in the intersection because traffic stopped in front of you.

Is there really a difference, how do you become stuck in an intersection because a vehicle in front of you stopped? You clearly entered the intersection without enough room to clear it. You're intentionally interfering with cross-traffic.

@griff2, i'm looking for cases but the ones that are published are only showing police using S170(12) to stop drivers and from there, they discover much larger problems which lead to more serious charges/arrests.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90h08_e.htm

“park” or “parking”, when prohibited, means the standing of a vehicle, whether occupied or not, except when standing temporarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in loading or unloading merchandise or passengers; (“stationnement”)

“stand” or “standing”, when prohibited, means the halting of a vehicle, whether occupied or not, except for the purpose of and while actually engaged in receiving or discharging passengers; (“immobilisation”)

R. v. Bugaeva [1999] O.J. No. 2738

22 Defence counsel urges me to accept the accused's evidence that there was no traffic behind her car, and no horn honking. In support, he relies on the evidence of Rinaldo which he claims supports the evidence of the accused on this issue. I disagree with Counsel's interpretation of Rinaldo's evidence on this issue. At its highest, Rinaldo could not remember whether there was traffic behind the accused or horn honking. However, even if I accept counsel's submission, I find the request to see her licence is still validly triggered by s. 170(12) of the H.T.A., because the way she positioned her car would have interfered with traffic that might reasonably be expected. I interpret this section to include not only traffic that built up behind the accused, but also, any traffic that might reasonably be expected. If the defence theory prevailed, it would be acceptable for the accused to remain in the position she was in for as long as she wanted, perhaps even hours or days, until other traffic built up behind her. This theory defies common sense.

23 The police urged the accused to move her car on numerous occasions. When she refused to do so it was reasonable for them to believe she was interfering with traffic. In either case she was violating S. 170(12) of the H.T.A., and in furtherance of their investigation, the S. 33 right to request identification was triggered.

30 She chose to stop on her own. When she did she was not detained until she was arrested. The position she took on the roadway prevented cars behind her from passing. She was free to leave at any time but chose to remain while blocking traffic behind her [see H.T.A. s. 170(12)]. In the result, the right of the police to seek driver identification was triggered and the accused was obliged to comply.

33 The answers to all the questions raised in the issues as they relate to the H.T.A. charge are "Yes". In the result, I find the charge has been proved beyond a reasonable doubt, and there will be a conviction.

Justice Harris​

I really want to put this to bed, because if it's not illegal to block an intersection; I might as well not give room to side-streets/parking lot entrances in heavy traffic. As long as I enter the intersection/junction on a green or first, I can legally block cross-traffic? Then I might as well exercise that god given right every single time and play the dumb card I got stuck.

EDIT:

Another HTA 170(12) on this board: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?159888-Obstructing-traffic

Last edited:
Is there really a difference, how do you become stuck in an intersection because a vehicle in front of you stopped? You clearly entered the intersection without enough room to clear it. You're intentionally interfering with cross-traffic.

I hear what you're saying, but the acts occur in different contexts. Parking and standing for the purposes of waiting for some reason at a specific location is different from being stopped in traffic and even being stopped in traffic inside an intersection.

If 170(12) was intended to deal with vehicles trapped in an intersection whether by lack of consideration or because traffic inexplicably stopped without warning, then why the need for this one that implies there is no offence unless a municipality enacts a bylaw prohibiting blocking an intersection?

Blocking intersection
145. (1) The council of a municipality may by by-law prohibit a driver or street car operator approaching, at an intersection, a traffic control signal showing a circular green or green arrow indication from entering the intersection unless traffic in front of him or her is moving in a manner that would reasonably lead him or her to believe he or she can clear the intersection before the signal indication changes to a circular red indication. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 145 (1).

Why the need for such a bylaw as referenced in 145(1) if the HTA already prohibits it with 170(12)? Why does the rest of HTA170 deal with parking, which is contextually much different than blocking an intersection?

My thought is that someone got creative in using 170(12) to address as situation for which it was not originally enacted, and was just lucky enough to get a conviction out of it. A transcript would be good to see on what basis it was fought, and why a JP registered a conviction, but I still think 170(12) is not the appropriate charge.

TPS have done ticket blitzes for gridlockers, drivers who get stuck in the intersection after their light has turned red.

The rider got what he deserved, he was being a dumbass regardless of who is "legally" responsible. My life is worth more than trying to prove a point on camera.

This reminds of a Vlogger from Alberta who does this exact thing. The traffic opposite him get the advanced turn signal and like we all do a few people try to squeeze through the turn when the advanced signal ends. He guns his bike as soon as his light turns green and will even cut off/stop the opposite driver in the intersection. Yes he has the right of way but IMO he is just asking to get killed. I am just waiting for him to do that to a young or old driver who panics and drives through him. Honestly could not feel too sorry for that type of accident, when you go looking for trouble you usually can find it.

We all bend the road rules, in our cages and on our rides but you have to be accountable for all your own choices, especially on a bike.

This reminds of a Vlogger from Alberta who does this exact thing. The traffic opposite him get the advanced turn signal and like we all do a few people try to squeeze through the turn when the advanced signal ends. He guns his bike as soon as his light turns green and will even cut off/stop the opposite driver in the intersection. Yes he has the right of way but IMO he is just asking to get killed. .

Haha definitely talking about snowcat here

As we used to say when I was assigned patrol duties....

"he was dead right, now he is just as dead as he was right"

Back
Top Bottom