Obstructing traffic | GTAMotorcycle.com

Obstructing traffic

JoeRider

Site Supporter
This past February I was convicted of a obstructing traffic, happened at Yonge & Eglington, I got caught in the intersection during rush hour.

My question, I purchased the online driving abstract last week and this ticket was not listed, is it not an HTA offence? I didn't make a copy of the ticket so I dont recall the exact code but it did state "Obstructing Traffic".

JoeRider

If it was a ticket for being in that hash-marked area during the wrong part of the traffic light cycle, I'm pretty sure that's a Toronto bylaw rather than HTA.

In any case, even if otherwise, don't complain about it!

This is a by-law ticket that won't affect your driving abstract; have you already paid the ticket?

http://www.thestar.com/wheels/article/1046728--what-s-the-proper-etiquette-for-left-turns

City of Toronto bylaw 88/82 states that the operator of a motor vehicle who enters an intersection on a green light and subsequently fails to clear his or her motor vehicle from the intersection upon the traffic signal turning red, thereby preventing traffic proceeding from an opposing direction, commits an offence that carries a minimum fine of $40.

Last edited:
Yes, I paid it already.

Edit: My wife photocopied it... HTA 170 (12). $50 fine.

Last edited:
HTA 170 (12)

Vehicles interfering with traffic
(12) Despite the other provisions of this section, no person shall park or stand a vehicle on a highway in such a manner as to interfere with the movement of traffic or the clearing of snow from the highway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 170 (12).

It doesn't go on until you're convicted.

HTA 170 (12)

Vehicles interfering with traffic
(12) Despite the other provisions of this section, no person shall park or stand a vehicle on a highway in such a manner as to interfere with the movement of traffic or the clearing of snow from the highway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 170 (12).

Is highway interchangeable with an intersection? Also, is "park" or "stand" interchangeable with waiting for traffic to clear so you can make your turn? (I assume that is what you were doing?)

An "intersection" is part of a "highway" and for the Highway Traffic Act, a "highway" is any public roadway.

If you weren't moving, you were standing.

I don't think the semantic points that the post above hints at, are in any way meaningful to the case.

And in any case, the OP was already convicted of the case in February 2012 according to post #1.

It should have been put on his driving record immediately after the conviction was registered. That the MoT did not do so, is their failure. Don't complain and ask them to fix their mistake.

Back
Top Bottom