Does a lounder exhaust save lives? | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Does a lounder exhaust save lives?

Sure it can, and it has, but it didn't give you the answer you wanted.
Where? One guy who's against loud pipes provided links to opinion pieces. The guy in defense of loud pipes claimed to produce references but they were inaccessible. So where has the argument against loud pipes been proven with scientific rigour?

The idea seems to be to distract drivers from what they are current doing,
and make them aware of the motorcyclist who may or may not be near them.

Since pipes are always on, they are always attempting to distract drivers.

If the motorist happens to hit someone else, could there be some liability, morally not necessarily legally,
on the motorcyclist's part, for distracting the driver?

That's why I find that an air horn works much better. I can time the sound for the most effect.

Its sad how many people I see texting and driving. This is for all those people. I think there could be some liability, but I really would have to differ that question to someone familiar with the laws.

I have counted, my bike sets of three car alarms on the way down to my parking spot, and this makes me feel much better about my small penis.

so yes they do save lives.

lol :D

The guy in defense of loud pipes claimed to produce references but they were inaccessible. So where has the argument against loud pipes been proven with scientific rigour?

Not inaccessible, just requires more dedication than a passing curiosity. Be part of a University staff or student, or pay the meager 30 beans they want to help fund all the nerdy crap we beg someone else to do for us. ;) This specific question has not been answered. The studies I put up were more about human biology than anything else. Only to prove an ability we share as humans, which bolsters the argument of becoming a detectable object because of sound. ALL accessible, if you care to support the people who brought you the proof.

This specific argument for or against has not been proven with scientific rigor.. sadly..

"Similarly, when thephysical condition of the drivers involved in accidents in 1959 in the United States was reviewed,only 0.05% of all the drivers involved in an accident had defective hearing (Norman 1962)"

Roughly .2% of the population is deaf.

So deaf drivers are roughly 4X better at driving, maybe because they don't have to hear those blasted loud pipes at all.

1276852649_chilling-sloth.gif

Loud pipes can make you recoil (Harley) or make you smile. Duality :)

https://youtu.be/ZcdTnMY7wps

Take the stage 2 silencer out of your M4 GSX-R 1000, and it's exactly the same tone as this Racefit Growler. I do it for kicks the odd time as it brings on too much heat. But I do get a lot of thumbs up and smiles. Sounds just like an F1 car.

Last edited:
Take the stage 2 silencer out of your M4 GSX-R 1000, and it's exactly the same tone as this Racefit Growler. I do it for kicks the odd time as it brings on too much heat. But I do get a lot of thumbs up and smiles. Sounds just like an F1 car.

I took the silencer out of my muffler this past week to see what it would sound like without it. Oh my god.. its loud.. lol Its crazy loud. It sounds amazing to me, but it would annoy the holy crap out of all of my neighbors.. so I will most likely put it back in. The slip-on produces enough of a sound increase for me as it is, its just not as deep and gurgling. I'll just throw a tiny wrench into my tool pouch if I ever want to remove it if I am in the boonies, or want to record a sound clip. I'll throw up a video as soon as its gets warm again..

Put on the loudest pipes you want. Just don't get fooled into thinking that the loud pipe is in any way a substitute for situational awareness and riding skills. Ride like you know you're invisible (and inaudible) and you'll be riding for a long time. Otherwise.....

Just get one or two of these. Then you don't have to worry about improper exhaust charges.

[video=youtube;CDafMzo4HO8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDafMzo4HO8[/video]

It would if the guy with loud pipes was chasing you.

You could at least hear him coming and have a chance to get away.

I've never been a believer in the loud pipes save lives. Same as the high beams make us more visible - there are powerful arguments against both these statements. I do actually know of one highbeam study, but I thought I would offer my insight on loud pipes. The number of times a loud pipe has passed me in my car, scaring the crap out of me far out numbers the times when I simply hear a loud pipe and start looking.
I think me being startled risks everyone around me and any of the riders behind them.
Also, if I hear a screaming pipe, I am now distracted trying to find it. None of that is good.

CTX-ER is right, I believe. ".... don't get fooled into thinking that the loud pipe is in any way a substitute for situational awareness and riding skills. Ride like you know you're invisible (and inaudible) and you'll be riding for a long time."

I've been on both sides of this.

My CBR was straight piped all the way with a D&D carbon on the end, it was insanely loud and well over 100db with the throttle open. I didn't die.

My FZ6R is on the other end of the spectrum. It's quiet as a hummingbird until you really get on it. I didn't die.

After owning both I can say I do prefer the refined sound of a quiet bike at this point.

After 10 years of riding stock pipes I put a set of loud ones on. I didn't do it for safety or to annoy people, I did it to increrase the performance so I didn't need to buy a bigger bike. Three times now I have seen car drivers hear me and physically get out of my way when they were about to cut into my lane or pull out in front of me. So I have to vote for loud pipes.

After 10 years of riding stock pipes I put a set of loud ones on. I didn't do it for safety or to annoy people, I did it to increrase the performance so I didn't need to buy a bigger bike. Three times now I have seen car drivers hear me and physically get out of my way when they were about to cut into my lane or pull out in front of me. So I have to vote for loud pipes.

I think this is a fair trade. Drivers who can't hear you and don't want to kill you but might accidentally kill you for drivers who want to kill you purposely because they hear you but don't kill you.

Last edited:
It's a sign of the times I suppose.

In the 70s and 80s I couldn't imagine a Yamaha 2 stroke or Kawi triple with a stock pipe.

Those things sounded awesome. And then the bike kawi's with kerker pipes.

And even the occasional hog chopper.

How about a 70's Cuda 426 hemi or Camero Z28 small block 302?

No one. I'm mean no one objected to the sounds of these machines ripping up the streets.

Well maybe there was folks complaining but, I was a kid that loved the smell of gasoline.

I don't want a silent V12 Ferrari.

But a Honda Civic with a fart can? Not so much.

This has nothing to do with safety or saving lives.

But my god some engines deserve to heard.

I'm going to go start my snow blower now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its not really even a sign of the times, the interweb and reporting has made it popularized. I was a kid in the muscle car era, Milton was full of Guidos with hot cars. They got tickets for running drag pipes and straight pipes.
Snowmobiles are illegal on Milton town streets between 6pm and 7am because idiots ran around town all night. Nobody slept with packs of 15 snow machines touring.
Places like Wasaga and Grand Bend had huge issues with motorcycle clubs to the point local police couldn't control it.
So now we have noise laws in places like Caledon and other communities, its always been this way in a fashion. Difference now is they have technology to actually measure sound, not Constable Fred sticking his baton in your pipe looking for a baffle.

Keep coming home at 2am in 1st gear/ 9,000 rpm, and leaving the coffee shop making sure everybody knows you bought the full screaming eagle pack. It will only get better.

I ride both. A Ducati S2R1000 with Arrow carbons and a FJR1300 with stock cans. Between the rattle of the clutch and the boom from the pipes it gets noticed more and getting noticed saves lives. I've had a few close calls on the FJR...its waaay too quiet. Worst incident was with a CN worker at a rail crossing. I was follow a couple cars by about 200ft...they crossed the tracks, then the CN guy jumped out right in front of me. That never would have happen on the Duc... Other place I notice a difference is on the hwy. Cagers that are too lazy or too distracted to do a shoulder check, they hear me beside them. But we all know never to linger in blindspots loud or not. What gets me is the D bag throttle blips at stops...unnecessary noise. And the crackle of short straight pipes on a cruiser at 2am. In my 30 years of riding I've learned loud pipes can save. I can't even hear my FJR at hwy speeds...I don't like that. The growl of a Moto is part of the riding pleasure

It's a sign of the times I suppose.

In the 70s and 80s I couldn't imagine a Yamaha 2 stroke or Kawi triple with a stock pipe.

Society has thoroughly emasculated and feminized men over the last 30 years. That's the real problem. We're not allowed to enjoy mechanical things anymore. Internal combustion is seen as a bad thing. Boys acting like, well, boys are considered sick and medicated now.

There are very few "gear heads" around anymore. Those who haven't succumbed to metrosexual cell-phone zombie-ism are obediently bowing to the Nanny State, even when doing so is to the detriment of their own safety. It's madness and we let it happen.

Back
Top Bottom