Want to Try dirt | GTAMotorcycle.com

Want to Try dirt

woot

I'd like to get into trail riding this year. I doubt I'll get into motocross as I never was into big jumps on my bicycle growing up. I've ridden street almost everyday March-November for the last 4 years. First year was on a 250 Ninja and the last 3 on an ER6-n.

I'm looking at buying a 2000 WRF 400 for $2200. I was originally looking at a 250 but this just seems like a good deal.

Will a 400 be too much for someone who has never done dirt? I became bored of the 250 Ninja after about a month and don't want to be going back to the wife after a month trying to pitch why an upgrade is a good idea again. I'm 6', 175lbs with a 34" inseam.

The bike is plated for trails but I believe WRs can be blue plated. Does anyone out there with a WR have blue plates? If this is the case will it be a big deal getting blue plates again?

I wouldn't start with a wr400 especially a 2000. It'll be heavy and it's fairly old so maintanence can be an issue. What's your budget and does it need to be a dual sport or are you looking for an actual dirt bike?

I wouldn't start with a wr400 especially a 2000. It'll be heavy and it's fairly old so maintenance can be an issue. What's your budget and does it need to be a dual sport or are you looking for an actual dirt bike?

Doesn't need to be a dual sport. I just think it would be a bonus to be able to drive on the road if needed. I'm told that KZs, YZs etc. can be difficult to even get plated for trails. I would like to stay in the $2000 ball park as I don't have a ton of time to dedicate to dirtbiking and don't want to sink in too much money.

I went to see it today. plastics were a little rough but kind of what I think would be expected from a 15 year old bike.

The guy had some trouble starting it but it has been sitting for a while and it was pretty cold. Not sure how much trouble would be expected considering the circumstances.

Fork seals are fresh, carbs were cleaned in the spring.

Is the 400 really that much more difficult to ride then a 250? Gotta say I'm a little disappointed as the price of this 400 seems to be in line with what I'm seeing for 250s

I would get a 250 2 stroke. Lighter, cheaper, and easier. If you want to stay cheaper its best to just get a green plated bike.

A plate is easy to get as long as you have the ownership. A lot of people don't get an ownership because they just ride on tracks and private property.

From what I gather, 250cc 4-stroke or 200 cc 2-stroke is all you need, especially for a beginner.
Dirt bikes should be as light as possible.

As for riding on streets, remember that is comes with a price of carrying regular insurance all-year round.

Also keep in mind that these bikes need a lot of maintenance.

Having owned many....

Start with a 4 stroke. Spent more time maintaining my 2 strokes than I did riding them. 230 to 250 cc 4 stroke.

Many different levels of capability within this cc level.

400 cc range is WAY too much for you to start on.

You should be able to find a mid 2000s wr250 for that money and be in a much better position weight and maintenance wise. You could also look at a crf250x but be aware the Hondas are not as reliable.

sent from a device using a program

Too bad youre checking this "early" or this "late" cause Trail Tours in Ganaraska would give you
1- a base in terms of skills
2- an idea of what you like
3- an idea of what a 150 vs a 230 or 250 feels like

Enjoy :)

Doesn't need to be a dual sport. I just think it would be a bonus to be able to drive on the road if needed. I'm told that KZs, YZs etc. can be difficult to even get plated for trails. I would like to stay in the $2000 ball park as I don't have a ton of time to dedicate to dirtbiking and don't want to sink in too much money.

I went to see it today. plastics were a little rough but kind of what I think would be expected from a 15 year old bike.

The guy had some trouble starting it but it has been sitting for a while and it was pretty cold. Not sure how much trouble would be expected considering the circumstances.

Is the 400 really that much more difficult to ride then a 250? Gotta say I'm a little disappointed as the price of this 400 seems to be in line with what I'm seeing for 250s

That 400 will be a pig! 4 strokes were JUST coming back around that time and were overweight and underpowered. He had a hard time starting because it's a 4s and/or the valves are out of whack. 4s are no less maintanence than a 2s but they're twice or three times as much to fix when they break. Do NOT get a 250 2s, you'll put your eye out. Look for a KDX 220, it'll still be a bit heavy (by my standards) but it will be tame and a good bike to learn on that will run forever. As long as you have an ownership a green plate is simple to get.

That 400 will be a pig! 4 strokes were JUST coming back around that time and were overweight and underpowered. He had a hard time starting because it's a 4s and/or the valves are out of whack. 4s are no less maintanence than a 2s but they're twice or three times as much to fix when they break. Do NOT get a 250 2s, you'll put your eye out. Look for a KDX 220, it'll still be a bit heavy (by my standards) but it will be tame and a good bike to learn on that will run forever. As long as you have an ownership a green plate is simple to get.

My RM250 over a season will need oil and air filter changes. 2 seasons it might need a top end if I get out on it more than 15-20 rides this year (already has a season on it). If you ride every weekend/all weekend or race at or above an intermediate level, a top and and clutch will be due after the season.

On a KDX you'll probably get 4 seasons of trail riding before a $300 top end is possibly needed. They aren't high strung race bikes.

It seems like everyone here is suggesting a green plated bike, but is that what the OP wants?

He specifically asks about being blue plated, and I can tell you, in Ontario being blue plated is a huge advantage.

Personally, I'd recommend a DRZ 400 so you can ride on the road and in the dirt. It is not the greatest dirtbike, and it is not the best bike on the road, but it can do a hell of a lot for what it is.

As for comparable models... I've owned a KLX250, and wasn't happy. Although it has a 6th speed that the DRZ doesn't, the 6th speed was barely useable as it didn't have the power to move the weight at that speed. The KLX was faster in 5th than 6th.

People recommend the WR250, and I can't really say because I have never ridden one, but you are paying a premium to get the WR with FI and a bit updated tech and I have still heard that the 250 4-stroke is a bit under powered.

So... for your price point and what it seems you want to do, get a DRZ and be content.

It's hopeless. There's nothing worse than a heavy dirt bike. XR200 powered CR125 with dual sport kit is the dream.

It seems like everyone here is suggesting a green plated bike, but is that what the OP wants?

He specifically asks about being blue plated, and I can tell you, in Ontario being blue plated is a huge advantage.

Personally, I'd recommend a DRZ 400 so you can ride on the road and in the dirt. It is not the greatest dirtbike, and it is not the best bike on the road, but it can do a hell of a lot for what it is.

As for comparable models... I've owned a KLX250, and wasn't happy. Although it has a 6th speed that the DRZ doesn't, the 6th speed was barely useable as it didn't have the power to move the weight at that speed. The KLX was faster in 5th than 6th.

People recommend the WR250, and I can't really say because I have never ridden one, but you are paying a premium to get the WR with FI and a bit updated tech and I have still heard that the 250 4-stroke is a bit under powered.

So... for your price point and what it seems you want to do, get a DRZ and be content.

Actually he doesn't, I asked already.

It's hopeless. There's nothing worse than a heavy dirt bike. XR200 powered CR125 with dual sport kit is the dream.

That sounds like a nightmare to me. An xr200 would have me asleep before I got into 3rd :)

That sounds like a nightmare to me. An xr200 would have me asleep before I got into 3rd :)

Ya, because you're you. Ride on a real trail, the kind where a mountain bike is exciting it won't be about arm wrenching hp.

Ya, because you're you. Ride on a real trail, the kind where a mountain bike is exciting it won't be about arm wrenching hp.

Where can I find these trails? I haven't found any in the ganaraska in the last 15 years so I'm all ears.

When you can handle the hp it's useful not just fun.

I'm told that KZs, YZs etc. can be difficult to even get plated for trails.

There shouldn't be any issues with getting green plates. Don't settle simply for a bill of sale, get the ownership.

Back
Top Bottom