The KTM RC390 thread | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The KTM RC390 thread

I love the internet. People will believe silly stuff they read on the internet. But when someone speaks with real facts based on multiple days of actual data, yep, you dismiss it based on your keyboard opinion.

I tend to agree...have a skilled racer go out and do a bunch of laps, then have the same guy go back out and do a bunch with a 90lb sandbag.

You will simply have to outride or outbrake him.

Now this statement I will agree with. Weight difference is always a factor. Whether the bike is 25, 44 or 125 hp.

It's all about how well you can ride what you are on.

I don't know. On 250 with 25 hp I (at 200 lbs) can be within 0.5 seconds per lap of my 110 lb 14 year old.

Yes, but that's still 0.5 second per lap. If an actual race were only 1 lap long that would be great. If both of you are pounding out the same consistent lap times over 15 laps, how far back would you be then? That extra 90lbs would also wear your tires out faster towards the end of the race, further degrading your lap times....

I love the internet. People will believe silly stuff they read on the internet. But when someone speaks with real facts based on multiple days of actual data, yep, you dismiss it based on your keyboard opinion.

Seriously? You need to take a GED course in intro physics.

I tend to agree...have a skilled racer go out and do a bunch of laps, then have the same guy go back out and do a bunch with a 90lb sandbag.

nah, let's compare two different riders at two different skill sets and then claim there is no effect of weight. Everyone knows your bike is just as quick with a pillion.

Seriously? You need to take a GED course in intro physics.

Not at all. You missed the point. Christie rode Buckland's 600 at SMP Pro Track at 7 seconds a lap faster than Buckland did 20 mins earlier. Was it because Christie weighs less than Buckland? Or was it how the bike was ridden? The original question was centred on if with a low hp bike gives a great advantage to a lighter rider. The answer is yes but that it is more determined by how you ride it than your weight difference. Just as would be the case, to a lesser extent, if you had a 90 lb advantage on a 600.

The original question was centred on if with a low hp bike gives a great advantage to a lighter rider. The answer is yes but that it is more determined by how you ride it than your weight difference. Just as would be the case, to a lesser extent, if you had a 90 lb advantage on a 600.

No, the original question asked about weight advantage if skill level is similar. That means riding is similar. So 90lb. is huge if ridden similar.

No, the original question asked about weight advantage if skill level is similar. That means riding is similar. So 90lb. is huge if ridden similar.

"I'd definitely consider this, but for relatively low hp bikes, how much advantage do the light people have?"

Inreb, gee, I guess you are right. Shame on me. I chose to answer the first part of the question.

But do tell, define "huge" in your experience of 90 lb advantage rider of equal skilled riders on a low hp race bike.
If the same rider rode the same way with and without a 90 lb weight added to a low hp race bike, how much difference would it make in their lap times?

If the same rider rode the same way with and without a 90 lb weight added to a low hp race bike, how much difference would it make in their lap times?

Well if the bike weighs 350 lbs and the rider weighs 150 lbs for 500 total on a bike making 25 hp

Yeah, adding a 90 lbs which is almost a 20% wieght increase will change lap times significantly

But do tell, define "huge" in your experience of 90 lb advantage rider of equal skilled riders on a low hp race bike.

I don't know anything about this subject except I once heard Murray Walker screaming out of the telly that somebody was carrying extra fuel to skip a pit stop and that was going to affect his lap times to the negative in a big way until some of it was burned off. I mean, he was SCREAMING!!! Blimey!!

Well if the bike weighs 350 lbs and the rider weighs 150 lbs for 500 total on a bike making 25 hp

Yeah, adding a 90 lbs which is almost a 20% wieght increase will change lap times significantly

BIKE magazine actually did an article about this topic recently. They had Team V4 Racing's VFR400 tested (light bike - 65hp) with 3 pro riders of different weights. One guy was over 200lbs, another around 180lbs and another was less than 150lbs. They used all kinds of data acquisition to measure acceleration, braking etc. There was a HUGE advantage for the lightest rider when it came to acceleration. However, the heavier riders actually had a lower braking distance due to more grip on the front end. It was an interesting read.

In the end it depends on more than one factor. If a track has lots of accelerating a lighter rider would have an advantage on the same bike. A shorter track with heavier braking may minimize that advantage.

"I'd definitely consider this, but for relatively low hp bikes, how much advantage do the light people have?"

Inreb, gee, I guess you are right. Shame on me. I chose to answer the first part of the question.

You post the question and when people try to convey their opinion you are getting bent ouf of shape .... Why???

Anyway, the reasoning is not making sense to you, because either you are far slower than 0.5sec a lap or simply you ride that much better than the other guy without realizing it.

Let's take just TMP .... The 90lbs lighter guy would have to simply pull more than 0.5 sec at the beginning of corner 2, thanks to the lower weight. Similar riders would get through turn 1 pretty comparably as the corner is not difficult at all. And that's just two corners .... You would have to be simply much better rider to make that up in the rest of the track ... And that's not a scenario you laid out.

What's so internet-wrong in the above logic???

yeah..back to the thread...good first review by first UK owner,

[video=youtube;fESSOvniBhY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fESSOvniBhY[/video]

BIKE magazine actually did an article about this topic recently. They had Team V4 Racing's VFR400 tested (light bike - 65hp) with 3 pro riders of different weights. One guy was over 200lbs, another around 180lbs and another was less than 150lbs. They used all kinds of data acquisition to measure acceleration, braking etc. There was a HUGE advantage for the lightest rider when it came to acceleration. However, the heavier riders actually had a lower braking distance due to more grip on the front end. It was an interesting read.

In the end it depends on more than one factor. If a track has lots of accelerating a lighter rider would have an advantage on the same bike. A shorter track with heavier braking may minimize that advantage.

back up a couple pages..there are good reasons why the top bike racers are tiny guys, even on 230hp bikes. Rossi has stated he cannot get as low in corners to lean as Marquez because he is taller.

Loris Baz lost a deal due to his height.

http://www.crash.net/motogp/feature/208952/1/how-big-is-too-big-for-motogp.html

You can buy all those racer bits already. The US website lists an RC cup as well, but no details yet.

[video=youtube;UQRey1yW6tY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQRey1yW6tY[/video]

The cup bikes have much more expensive suspension and a Akrapovic exhaust and different ECU chip, different tail, rearsets, same brakes.
77949_KTM_RC390_Cup_Presentation_1024.jpg

http://blog.ktm.com/adac-junior-cup-powered-by-ktm-technique-of-the-ktm-rc-390-cup/

Not sure why the Akra when the bike has still a cat and about the same power as the street bike.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom