Toronto should crack down on loud motorcycles: Editorial | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Toronto should crack down on loud motorcycles: Editorial

I am probably a bit of a weirdo in that my bike has a very very quiet exhaust - one of the quietest on a bike - and I'm actually proud of that fact.

To me that's a sign of good engineering. Like those old cars from the 30's that had like 20 cylinders but ran like silk. In my bike's case, the exhaust is actually tuned so well to the engine that attempts to use aftermarket exhausts actually loses you power - the stock exhaust is already tuned about as well as possible.

****, I better stop talking and go back to trying to make my helmet look like a snooty top hat. :lmao:

The nice thing about a quieter pipe is that they don't think you're speeding ;-)

The nice thing about a quieter pipe is that they don't think you're speeding ;-)

Assuming Mongrel is talking about his K75, those things sound like space ships. I've never had a bike that chirps like that before (or since).

Yep. That's the bike.
riding.gif

Assuming Mongrel is talking about his K75, those things sound like space ships. I've never had a bike that chirps like that before (or since).

When I had my K75RT neighbours used to comment that they never heard me coming home. Then again their point of comparison was the place that was occupied by Harley riders, who would ride across the grass of the courtyard at 3AM.

If you look at how most noise bylaws are written its a db reading at a distance at 2000rpm.
Since the riders I usually see that have the stupid loud pipes are on bikes without tachometer. How do they know where 2000rpm is to do a road side test. My sport bikes are quite at that rpm but not at 10000rpm so basically another law that will hit the books, be rarely enforced and impact a few.... Total BS.

If you look at how most noise bylaws are written its a db reading at a distance at 2000rpm.
Since the riders I usually see that have the stupid loud pipes are on bikes without tachometer. How do they know where 2000rpm is to do a road side test. My sport bikes are quite at that rpm but not at 10000rpm so basically another law that will hit the books, be rarely enforced and impact a few.... Total BS.
I was checked at the FOC. After I passed the idle, he told me to get it up to 2000rpm. Since I don't have a tach I gave it a little gas and he said that's good, your free to go. He didn't even confirm it. There is no way they can charge you without the facts. "ohh well it sounded like it was at 2000rpm" isn't good enough. Prove it.

Maybe with the guys you ride with. Although not as high as sport bikes, but I know my rev limiter is at 6800.

Last edited:
There is no way they can charge you without the facts. "ohh well it sounded like it was at 2000rpm" isn't good enough. Prove it.

sirometer. About $30, works on any bike. Compared to the price of the sound level meter, it's inconsequential for the cops to buy some.

To all the HD wannabe's who rumble and fart their way past a church every Sunday morning, knock it off. None of the congregation wants to hear your junk interrupt the service. You're being disrespectful in a really weak and obvious way.

To all the HD wannabe's who rumble and fart their way past a church every Sunday morning, knock it off. None of the congregation wants to hear your junk interrupt the service. You're being disrespectful in a really weak and obvious way.

A church you say? Hmmm...must bite lip.

A church you say? Hmmm...must bite lip.
I find their bells pretty annoying on the weekend when I'm trying to sleep off my hangover. I also once got caught on Bloor for a half hour after someone walked out of a church, dropped a pylon in front of the car in front of me, then the church had an impromptu parade out of nowhere. Lucky no one got run over since they had no police presence or anything.

I find their bells pretty annoying on the weekend when I'm trying to sleep off my hangover. I also once got caught on Bloor for a half hour after someone walked out of a church, dropped a pylon in front of the car in front of me, then the church had an impromptu parade out of nowhere. Lucky no one got run over since they had no police presence or anything.

Those are times where you just drive through the crowd while laying on the horn. Don't stop for idiots jay walking (even if it's an unorganized parade).

Source: I get where I want to go.

She picked a really bad time of the year to wage this battle. Motorcycles are slowly being put away for the winter and the noise now is significantly reduced now.

Here's my favorite quote. I believe it was completely taken out of context here. This quote is meant for people who work in very loud factories........
.( Toronto’s health department has warned that frequent exposure to excessive noise can cause medical problems related to sleep loss and stress, as well as impaired hearing. )

Speaking of sleep loss, when my air conditioning isn't on I frequently get woken up by the passing bus. Never have I been wakened by a passing bike. Maybe a couple of cars, but never a bike.

Even if this gets passed, enforcement is always an issue.
They will need to set up expensive testing facilities, train people to man them, pay those people, and then a lot of motorcycles still pass the test. Not until it becomes a huge cash cow will it carry and be enforced. If it passes, enforcement may carry on for a few months and go away. Like every other community.

Even if this gets passed, enforcement is always an issue.
They will need to set up expensive testing facilities, train people to man them, pay those people, and then a lot of motorcycles still pass the test. Not until it becomes a huge cash cow will it carry and be enforced. If it passes, enforcement may carry on for a few months and go away. Like every other community.

They will do roadside tests with a handheld meter, just as they do elsewhere.

Yes, my bike is incredibly loud. It will pass roadside test with a hand held unit.

They should test for the SOA or Rossi wannabe factor and fine those ones

Back
Top Bottom