Toronto should crack down on loud motorcycles: Editorial | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Toronto should crack down on loud motorcycles: Editorial

I was in the bank across from timmy's in Port Perry, there was a pirate on a custom chopper with 12 inch exhaust pipes that point straight down sitting at the lights. Just as I stepped out of the door the light turns green and the doornob nails it, almost had a heart attack, thought a bomb went off. The guy's ears must be ringing like he was at a Kiss concert.

^this is one of the best descriptions of a loud bike I've read in a long long time. From setting the scene, mental imagery of the offending beast, the violent nature of the explosive act and medical/psychological implications. Nicely rounded out with context. Kiss concert, man oh man.

I was in the bank across from timmy's in Port Perry, there was a pirate on a custom chopper with 12 inch exhaust pipes that point straight down sitting at the lights. Just as I stepped out of the door the light turns green and the doornob nails it, almost had a heart attack, thought a bomb went off. The guy's ears must be ringing like he was at a Kiss concert.
Thankful I don't live around there.. Must be so noisy in the weekends. I make sure I don't need to stop in port parry except for gas. Timmies is like a Disney pirates cove..

WTF? Why the focus on motorcycles? How about all forms of noise - theres dooshbags in Cars and Trucks too!!

Anyway, Its just a thing to gain votes.. won't mean anything in the real world

The focus is on motorcycles, because Wong-Tam has it in for motorcycles. Remember, she was one of the driving forces behind trying to eliminate free on-street parking for motorcycles, because it encouraged riders of large motorcycles to dangerously ride up onto the sidewalk to park :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Um, why does it encourage motorcyclists to ride on sidewalks? I only ride on sidewalks if I'm going to park on them... and even then I usually stop before the sidewalk, shut off the bike, and push it. Mostly because I heard it's legal to push a bike on the sidewalk but not legal to ride it on the sidewalk.

Um, why does it encourage motorcyclists to ride on sidewalks? I only ride on sidewalks if I'm going to park on them... and even then I usually stop before the sidewalk, shut off the bike, and push it. Mostly because I heard it's legal to push a bike on the sidewalk but not legal to ride it on the sidewalk.
I don't actually think pushing makes a difference. I'm sure someone can enlighten us. in either case as long as you're not ripping down the sidewalk...

That's why I added the multiple head-banging emoticons. The idea that allowing someone to park freely on the street results in that same person parking on the sidewalk, is patently ludicrous. It is, however, what she seemed to believe and stated in several interviews, and was represented that way in her response email to me on the matter.

I personally find a lot of people in the motorcycle community seem to have no concept of the world outside and how their actions cause perceptions. Most laws are a reaction to a problem and when the community won't take action then it falls on those who are far less sympathetic to motorcycling.

This summer my street (one way quiet residential street but is wide) has become the launch route for every sport bike to wind it up to redline. Being a fan of motorcycles I tolerated it but a lot of kids are around and now the neighbourhood is petitioning to put speed bumps and drop the limit to 30. I personally am against this but I can see how this reaction has come from poor choices from some on motorcycles. Just like loud pipe laws coming or cc restrictions for starting bikes the community only has itself to blame.

I'd be curious to know how many of those who offend society the most are just fair weather bikers who ride for a few seasons and then ditch leaving the distain they caused to be suffered by others.

I bet all those folks stuck in that traffic jam at McCowan won't vote or think kindly when the discussion of motorcycles and restrictions come up and again motorcyclists only have themselves to blame for something so stupid and completely preventable.

I personally find a lot of people in the motorcycle community seem to have no concept of the world outside and how their actions cause perceptions. Most laws are a reaction to a problem and when the community won't take action then it falls on those who are far less sympathetic to motorcycling.

This summer my street (one way quiet residential street but is wide) has become the launch route for every sport bike to wind it up to redline. Being a fan of motorcycles I tolerated it but a lot of kids are around and now the neighbourhood is petitioning to put speed bumps and drop the limit to 30. I personally am against this but I can see how this reaction has come from poor choices from some on motorcycles. Just like loud pipe laws coming or cc restrictions for starting bikes the community only has itself to blame.

I'd be curious to know how many of those who offend society the most are just fair weather bikers who ride for a few seasons and then ditch leaving the distain they caused to be suffered by others.

I bet all those folks stuck in that traffic jam at McCowan won't vote or think kindly when the discussion of motorcycles and restrictions come up and again motorcyclists only have themselves to blame for something so stupid and completely preventable.

This issue might have been sparked by a single rider on a Harley; a construction worker who rides through this councillor's ward, around 6:00am, goosing the throttle down quiet side streets. I've seen him on Bond Street several times.

Unfortunately Motorcycling here is a "sport" and the majority don't see it as a means of transportation like in other countries (Europe/Asia). Here its about the "look".. be it a "Wild Hog", "Power Ranger" or "Adventure Tourer" motorcycles can be perceived like jetski's are to the cottage folk - an annoyance.

Also you will always get idiots. I have a "1%" rule... its like if there are 1% of idiots on the road then with the population of the GTA drivers that would become a huge number.. so the chances of seeing these idiots are high. Actually in the GTA, the 1% rule is much much much higher in my opinion.

@AdRath, unfortunately the Speedbumps wont help much. Most bikes can take speed bumps at a reasonable pace and also the idiots will start to race between them.

@AdRath, unfortunately the Speedbumps wont help much. Most bikes can take speed bumps at a reasonable pace and also the idiots will start to race between them.
Can confirm. Even the relatively bad suspension my 650R had would allow me to go over speed bumps at at least 3x the speed I'd take them in my car, and I go over them faster than most people in my car.

Because those few ponies on street sport bikes are so much more important than whatever reason cruisers have for loud exhaust. Let's face it, sport bike exhausts are loud too, and unjustified.

Can confirm. Even the relatively bad suspension my 650R had would allow me to go over speed bumps at at least 3x the speed I'd take them in my car, and I go over them faster than most people in my car.

Ah, speedjumps. Uncomfortable in a car, fun on a bike.

Ah, speedjumps. Uncomfortable in a car, fun on a bike.

heh heh.. you just reminded me of test riding a GSX400 Impluse back in the early 90s around Wellington harbour (In NZ) and came around a corner.. didnt see the speedbump (we call them "Judder bars") and went flying... managed to keep it up after my front wheel landing..

here's what the GSX400 impulse looks like.

27716316.jpg

Because those few ponies on street sport bikes are so much more important than whatever reason cruisers have for loud exhaust. Let's face it, modified sport bike exhausts are loud too, and unjustified.

Fixed.

Stock exhausts are generally fine, unless the rider thinks that the bike wants to live at 10K rpm, in first, in 50 zones.

Fixed.

Stock exhausts are generally fine, unless the rider thinks that the bike wants to live at 10K rpm, in first, in 50 zones.

Yea, that's what I meant. Most SS riders put a loud pipe as soon as they get the bike.
Cruisers don't have loud stock exhaust either.

I am probably a bit of a weirdo in that my bike has a very very quiet exhaust - one of the quietest on a bike - and I'm actually proud of that fact.

To me that's a sign of good engineering. Like those old cars from the 30's that had like 20 cylinders but ran like silk. In my bike's case, the exhaust is actually tuned so well to the engine that attempts to use aftermarket exhausts actually loses you power - the stock exhaust is already tuned about as well as possible.

****, I better stop talking and go back to trying to make my helmet look like a snooty top hat. :lmao:

Last edited:
heh heh.. you just reminded me of test riding a GSX400 Impluse back in the early 90s around Wellington harbour (In NZ) and came around a corner.. didnt see the speedbump (we call them "Judder bars") and went flying... managed to keep it up after my front wheel landing..

27716316.jpg

here's what the GSX400 impulse looks like.

I have a GSX400 but i would kill for an impluse! love that weird headlight

Back
Top Bottom