air guns for self defense - legal? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

air guns for self defense - legal?

Putting aside the brutal stupidity of using a BB gun in self-defence for a second...

You can meet force with force. If you PERCEIVE (keyword right there) that you or your family are in danger of grievous bodily harm you can respond with whatever amount of force is necessary to defend yourself or your loved ones. If you have a gun, you can shoot the attacker. If you have a knife, you can stab the attacker. Contrary to popular belief, the attacker does not need to be armed. The threat needs to be real and/or perceived.

With all that said, if this is happening outside of your home, you may have a more difficult time proving your case. If you defend yourself with a weapon, the question of why you were carrying that 'weapon' will also be raised.

Ultimately, do you give a **** what the word of the law is when you're facing possible death? Of course not. Worry about that after you escape with your life, with whatever means necessary.

Putting aside the brutal stupidity of using a BB gun in self-defence for a second...

You can meet force with force. If you PERCEIVE (keyword right there) that you or your family are in danger of grievous bodily harm you can respond with whatever amount of force is necessary to defend yourself or your loved ones. If you have a gun, you can shoot the attacker. If you have a knife, you can stab the attacker. Contrary to popular belief, the attacker does not need to be armed. The threat needs to be real and/or perceived.

With all that said, if this is happening outside of your home, you may have a more difficult time proving your case. If you defend yourself with a weapon, the question of why you were carrying that 'weapon' will also be raised.

Ultimately, do you give a **** what the word of the law is when you're facing possible death? Of course not. Worry about that after you escape with your life, with whatever means necessary.

I pretty much agree with you but the "Perceived" word is the problem. A paranoid person could perceive verbal anger as a physical threat and over-react. The law could see the retaliation as excessive. If the threat was real and you also kept a weapon at hand it could add to the crowns allegation that you were itching for a fight.

On the other hand allowing a person to get in the first strike would give them the upper hand in a physical confrontation.

It all depends on how the legal system sees the event. The legal sytem (Police and courts) will review the situation in a calm and logical manner. The actual event would have been full of tension, emotions and possible panic.

If the crown decides to prosecute it will take several years before you see a judgement. Every time they review the paperwork your lawyer will be involved and that will be added to your tab. This is not traffic court so the fees will be in the tens of thousands of dollars, it may affect your job status and any thoughts of visiting foreign countries.

So I ask my American friend about this scenario. His response? And I quote...

"My greatest fear is opening that safe & not knowing which gun to shoot him with! "

Gotta love America, lol

"My greatest fear is opening that safe & not knowing which gun to shoot him with! "

Gotta love America, lol

He keeps his gun in a safe?! I thought all americans kept a loaded hand gun or AR-15 on the nightstand beside them for easy access?

What about a banana? what if he comes at you armed with a banana?

With appropriate training, not a problem!

Now to get the penguin off of the TV...

He keeps his gun in a safe?! I thought all americans kept a loaded hand gun or AR-15 on the nightstand beside them for easy access?

Good question.
Makes you wonder how kids make it into adulthood with loaded guns lying around

I got shot in the leg with a BB gun when I was 7 or 8... I said ouch and kept riding my bike. It's not going to do anything to someone that is jacked up enough to bust in to your place and try to kill you. If they even notice you "shot" them, it's just going to make them even angrier.
The ONLY thing it might do is make them stop if they think it's legit.

As far as firearms being used. I can basically open my safe from my bed. My key is kept in a certain spot that is basically en route to the cabinet, ammo is in a locked case close to the safe. If I had the time to react it wouldn't take more than 30 seconds to have the 12 ga out and loaded. I'd assume the sound of the action slamming shut would be enough to make anyone leave right away. I'd give as much opportunity as possible to let someone leave peacefully, however if I see a gun I'm shooting without question. If their back is turned it's obviously not a threat so it's a no shoot situation.
I'd deal with the cops/legal situation as it happens, but the gun would be locked up before they showed up and I'd be very compliant with them. I know there are situations that people get charged with various things for defending their homes, but I fail to think that in every event that someone defends themselves they get a conviction.

If this is something you're seriously worried about, you need to take the previous advise and leave whatever bad situation you are in.

Good question.
Makes you wonder how kids make it into adulthood with loaded guns lying around

Some 3 year old shot her brother with a loaded handgun in the states in the past week. Gun was "loaded", but she managed to pull the action back and pull the trigger, from what I remember seeing (didn't read the article just saw a little blurb). You can teach kids from early on about guns and safety, but with kids that young in the house you need to 100% make sure everything is locked up.

I got shot in the leg with a BB gun when I was 7 or 8... I said ouch and kept riding my bike. It's not going to do anything to someone that is jacked up enough to bust in to your place and try to kill you. If they even notice you "shot" them, it's just going to make them even angrier.
The ONLY thing it might do is make them stop if they think it's legit.

As far as firearms being used. I can basically open my safe from my bed. My key is kept in a certain spot that is basically en route to the cabinet, ammo is in a locked case close to the safe. If I had the time to react it wouldn't take more than 30 seconds to have the 12 ga out and loaded. I'd assume the sound of the action slamming shut would be enough to make anyone leave right away. I'd give as much opportunity as possible to let someone leave peacefully, however if I see a gun I'm shooting without question. If their back is turned it's obviously not a threat so it's a no shoot situation.
I'd deal with the cops/legal situation as it happens, but the gun would be locked up before they showed up and I'd be very compliant with them. I know there are situations that people get charged with various things for defending their homes, but I fail to think that in every event that someone defends themselves they get a conviction.

If this is something you're seriously worried about, you need to take the previous advise and leave whatever bad situation you are in.

Why wouldn't you just keep the ammo in the safe? It doesn't have to be separate. You're only making more work for yourself.

Some 3 year old shot her brother with a loaded handgun in the states in the past week. Gun was "loaded", but she managed to pull the action back and pull the trigger, from what I remember seeing (didn't read the article just saw a little blurb). You can teach kids from early on about guns and safety, but with kids that young in the house you need to 100% make sure everything is locked up.

Heard about that one. There are numerous cases where children had access to firearms, that's pure negligence.

I would never leave any firearms out in the open. What if someone was to break into your house when you're not home? They will have all the advantage you had. Unless you have an alarm, but still.

I pretty much agree with you but the "Perceived" word is the problem. A paranoid person could perceive verbal anger as a physical threat and over-react. The law could see the retaliation as excessive. If the threat was real and you also kept a weapon at hand it could add to the crowns allegation that you were itching for a fight.

Over react? excessive retaliation? Someones in my house, MY HOUSE, my personal and private space, and that could be viewed as me itching for a fight? Pretty sure the SOB broke into my house to either steal, rape or kill, so that ****ERS gonna pay for it by what ever means i have at the time and stop him.

I dont see what's so difficult for the Police and Courts to see.

Why wouldn't you just keep the ammo in the safe? It doesn't have to be separate. You're only making more work for yourself.
Ammo is in my field boxes which are on top of my safe, I can open the lock in the dark, no key required. It's just the way my dad has always done it, and it's the way I do it. A bit more security than required leaves me less likely to have some type of charge if for some random reason a cop happens to see where I keep my stuff. We do have a few MP buddies that come over once in a while, never know who might have an issue with whatever.

Over react? excessive retaliation? Someones in my house, MY HOUSE, my personal and private space, and that could be viewed as me itching for a fight? Pretty sure the SOB broke into my house to either steal, rape or kill, so that ****ERS gonna pay for it by what ever means i have at the time and stop him.

While I agree, if you're in MY home and my space you deserve to get "it", that's just not the way it is. And knowing that, you have to play by the rules as best you can.

IMO They see it but their fear is that it becomes the thin edge of the wedge and we end up going American.

As much as this thread is a total joke, there is a smidgen of truth to some airguns being capable of "ruining somebody's day"... particularly rifles that propel .22 cal heavy weight pellets in excess of 900 fps.
Self-defence? no Deterent? perhaps.

As much as this thread is a total joke, there is a smidgen of truth to some airguns being capable of "ruining somebody's day"... particularly rifles that propel .22 cal heavy weight pellets in excess of 900 fps.
Self-defence? no Deterent? perhaps.

As they have a velocity at the barrel of over 495 FPS they are a fire arm and you need a PAL to buy one. One of those could eventually stop someone if the round is placed right.
But, those cheap ones you get at CT or TSC or whatever, not a chance. They will just sting and maybe break through some bare skin.

Gotta love America, lol

Was just in the states last week and most people I know have weapons hidden in EVERY room of the house LOL and this isnt criminal types just average joes living in areas that have seen a huge downswing since 2008.

America is becoming a scary place! I can't imagine how things will look in another decade. Civil war?

Omg guns..so scary. They must be crazy.

(puke)

About the Ian Thomson case in post #16, I don't get why you have to have your firearm 'properly stored' if you're home? Suppose I feel like running barefoot over them, can't I? Why can't I sleep with them?

About evidence of your perception of the threat, I have it on good advice to dump into your pants, to prove how scary it was.

Back
Top Bottom