Votes: 39 50.6%
  • 100% SQUID

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • SOMEWHERE IN BETWEEN - PLS EXPLAIN!

Votes: 35 45.5%

• Total voters
Gotta read this thread with my favourite theme

[video=youtube;MK6TXMsvgQg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK6TXMsvgQg[/video]

There are a few things in life where you're not sure, like when will you crash, but for MM's thread there's guarantee there will be HILARITY

or less

article-1335361190380-12be298a000005dc-409792_636x473.jpg

she got a ticket for riding pillion without a helmet :rolleyes:

http://metro.co.uk/2012/04/25/nude-...de-on-after-she-gets-no-helmet-ticket-401669/

omg romanian chicks

iAgehnz5NztCc.gif

over a decade of riding in jeans, skate shoes and a hoodie... plus backpack and once in a blue moon on a road trip an actual jacket(just for the extra pockets

lots of crashes/scars years ago from practicing tricks, still don't care

does anyone have a hoodie with a big squid on the back? i wanna buy one!

There are lots of riders that have never gone down on pavement ( lots off road ) so no it's not inevitable.

I go by ATGTA

All the gear that's appropriate.

Jacket helmet, gloves and decent boots to protect the ankle are I think minimum.

There are mesh over pants that are $100 and cool for riding.

But if it gets hot I'll at times go aquid cept for boots and helmet...I wear ankle high hiking boots tho I have a pair of taller boots for off road.

There are motocross knee protectors that are cheap, good and go under regular jeans and they do work as the hole i my light off road riding pants and deep gouges on the knee protector attests to - but that was offroad.

Up to you....new rider in GTA tho....I'd get some boot and leg protection - the Fox or Thor knee guards are like $30.

Best protection ....take an off road course. Learn to ride dirt and you'll be a better rider on the pavement.

Of course new rider with attitude....???

knight-armor-medieval-sca-combat-harness.jpg

don't trip over the sword.

I was more of a gear nazi but I am in my third season now and I have learned that there are compromises. I want a compromise between protection, comfort, and minimizing the PITA factor (pain in the a&*).

I have learned to love wearing mesh gear. It is not that much hotter than a tshirt but much cooler than a textile or leather. I also want to get my gear on and off in a reasonable amount of time.

This is my usual hot weather gear:

I also wear these boots presently:

These are decent gloves to start out with. Very comfortable, have decent protection, and they flow a lot of air which is good in the hot weather. They are from Royal Distributing and are know as Armadillo Long:

I alternate between Velocity kevlar/armored jeans or regular jeans with knee protection underneath.

The plan this year is to pick up some Olympia Airglide pants which will be more comfortable on hotter days. I can also just wear them as an overpant when I am commuting to work or going for a quick ride.

If you commute I think a motorcycle specific backpack might be a decent thing to consider. I have the Ogio Mach 5 which has some nice features. I put the work shoes into the shoe holders and it has a slot for an extra shield. I use the tinted shield when I drive to work and when it is night when I leave I swap it for my clear shield. This backpack was one of the smartest purchases I have made so far.

ZOODLES95 - I have considered mesh jackets before but when i hold them and actually try them on, i don't think they're any better than a regular sweater. aside from the armour. the boots and gloves look good though.

HOOLLLAAAA

ZOODLES95 - I have considered mesh jackets before but when i hold them and actually try them on, i don't think they're any better than a regular sweater. aside from the armour. the boots and gloves look good though.

HOOLLLAAAA

If you can try and borrow a decent mesh jacket. When I rode over to pick it up I rode in a tshirt. Then I bought the mesh jacket and went for a good ride with it. Essentially it felt/feels the same as squiding it.

Once you take out the liner it is just straight flow through mesh.

I rely on the armor and the overlap of the gauntlet gloves to give some abrasion protection. This is nothing compared to a nice leather jacket with armor but again; a compromise. In colder weather a textile or leather jacket would make more sense. Warmer and MUCH better protection. I just found that I did not want to ride as much in +30 Celius weather and I refuse to squid so the mesh jacket has been a welcome addition to the gear. Same reason I am getting the Olympia Airglide pants.

The boots were/are made by Altimate and are very inexpensive. They do not look at all like a motorcycle boot and provide some decent protection. I do think though that boots that zip up would be a better choice than laces which could come loose and catch on something.

Last edited:

HOOLLLAAAA

Why do you bother starting threads anymore. You obviously know more than everyone else on this board.
Everyone knows that a SOA hoodie offers the same protection as a motorcycle specific jacket.

Why do you bother starting threads anymore. You obviously know more than everyone else on this board.
Everyone knows that a SOA hoodie offers the same protection as a motorcycle specific jacket.

Well, I have not looked at enough mesh jackets to really see what else is out there. I wonder if A* ones have some of the same features mine has. My mesh jacket has sliders on the shoulders, elbows, and back:

Alright Mike, instead of trolling you, I'll level with you.

Riding squid feels better, and it's a lot of fun. I lost some skin last year, and that ****ing sucked. Like a lot. It doesn't hurt THAT bad, but it hurts for a very long time and the recovery process (skin repairing and the wound weeping) is really annoying and gross. I leaked a bunch of fluids and blood all over myself, my pillow and my gf.

This is the result of a very low speed slide where my arm touched the ground for literally a second: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...bably-hurts-more-than-anything-else-right-now

There's a lot of options like mesh or that MX body armour that feels similar to just squidding it out for your upper body, but I can say that you should never sacrifice your foot/ankle protection. I would've grinded down my ankle and broken my ankle/shin/foot without my A* boots on. Foot got trapped under the bike and I got dragged along

Your incident is part of the reason I would like to upgrade my boots. Even though there is some armor over the maleoli/ankle bone it is minimal and while way better than a pair of runners they are pretty rudimentary boots. I saw these at Two Wheel in Guelph and the vented SM-6 A* would be a nice boot for me. A lot of the tech features of a good track boot; yet they seem pretty comfy and are easy to put on and off.

Again, a nice compromise of protection, comfort, and ease of putting on and off.

MM...

If you can find room in your budget consider getting in on the group buy for some Velocity VR-Pro gloves. He is offering them in both shorty and gauntlet and in regular black and in custom. For $180 for the black gauntlet I cannot think of anything else in that price bracket that would come close. I saw them at his office last year and I have been waiting for a group buy on these ever since. Way better than my current gloves.

Your incident is part of the reason I would like to upgrade my boots. Even though there is some armor over the maleoli/ankle bone it is minimal and while way better than a pair of runners they are pretty rudimentary boots. I saw these at Two Wheel in Guelph and the vented SM-6 A* would be a nice boot for me. A lot of the tech features of a good track boot; yet they seem pretty comfy and are easy to put on and off.

Again, a nice compromise of protection, comfort, and ease of putting on and off.

Go with the SMX-Plus, it's worth the extra cash

Go with the SMX-Plus, it's worth the extra cash

They are a much more "technical" boot; that is for sure. They are on closeout at Revzilla so I wonder what they are replacing/updating them with?

Do they vent a decent amount of air?

They are a much more "technical" boot; that is for sure. They are on closeout at Revzilla so I wonder what they are replacing/updating them with?

Do they vent a decent amount of air?

Vented boots are a lie :p I had a pair of Vented SMX-5 boots, frankly wearing an under armour or similar "cool sock" makes a MUCH bigger difference.

They're replacing them with 2014 SMX-Plus boots, which seem to be more streamlined but the same functionally.

Old: http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpinestars-s-mx-plus-boots-closeout
New: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-smx-plus-boots

If Revzilla doesn't have your size get in touch with Tyler at TwoWheel or someone at Sturgess for pricing.

Last edited:
Vented boots are a lie :p I had a pair of Vented SMX-5 boots, frankly wearing an under armour or similar "cool sock" makes a MUCH bigger difference.

They're replacing them with 2014 SMX-Plus boots, which seem to be more streamlined but the same functionally.

Cool! Thanks for the info and tip. I have a whack of "coolmax" sort of tshirts from when I did local trucking/food delivery that I wear when I am riding in really hot weather. They seem to be more comfortable than a regular cotton tshirt. I never thought of trying the same thing with a sock. Thanks! :)

Back
Top Bottom