How often to you clean chain | GTAMotorcycle.com

How often to you clean chain

Block

Do you give it a good cleaning every wash or just wash the bike and add a little lube?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

After a long ride that may have been dusty, any time it gets wet, any time I'm bored....just one of those things. I see you have the nice bright white wheels....you may find the need more often ;)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Quick lube every tank, in-depth lube every-other tank or when I get caught in the rain, major cleaning & major lube every 2k or so.

Never, though I might scrape out old lube with a wrench if I have the drive sprocket cover off

Last edited:
probably not as often as I should.....

I usually clean and lube my chain every 2-3 tanks, or if I've been out all day doing spirited riding. I also try to make sure to clean and lube after riding in the rain. I use kerosene and a grunge brush to clean, wipe down chain with rag, use a soft bristled paint brush to apply gear oil. Give the rear wheel a bunch of spins to get the links moving so the gear oil can get down to the rings, and wipe of excess on the outside of the chain. takes make 5 minutes start to finish. That is the way Mikbusa/Jeero taught me and has worked well so far.

probably not as often as I should.....

I usually clean and lube my chain every 2-3 tanks, or if I've been out all day doing spirited riding. I also try to make sure to clean and lube after riding in the rain. I use kerosene and a grunge brush to clean, wipe down chain with rag, use a soft bristled paint brush to apply gear oil. Give the rear wheel a bunch of spins to get the links moving so the gear oil can get down to the rings, and wipe of excess on the outside of the chain. takes make 5 minutes start to finish. That is the way Mikbusa/Jeero taught me and has worked well so far.

im glad to hear im not the only one who piants it on

Dirtbikes-after every ride
Streetbike-after every good wash

When asking people how often they clean and lube their chain it's good to find out how long their chains last.

I never ever clean my chain as it does nothing at all usefull. I lube my chain with every tank of fuel (roughly every 300 to 400 km) and after every ride in the rain (which happens to me often as I pretty much ride every day from some time in March until December.) I use Wurth HHS200 which is kind of messy.

The last few chains I have replaced were replaced at 66,060 km and 74,745 km. Both chains probably had decent life left in them (maybe another 10,000 or 15,000 km) but were replaced becasue of other circumstances.

..Tom

I hardly clean my chain also. Lube is more important to me

Thanks for the feedback, with the white rims I tend to clean more often. Sometimes I give up cleaning the rims lol

Spring is here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BrowserPreview_tmp1.gif

Back
Top Bottom