How do you guys shoulder check? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How do you guys shoulder check?

ravensix

Site Supporter
Hey guys, So the other day wen I was out riding I noticed that each time I do shoulder checks the bottom chin part of my helmet would interfere with my jacket's shoulder pad, making it near impossible get my head around to look behind me.

Is there another way of doing shoulder checks? I found my self letting go of the left handle to be able to look all the way left and same with the right side.

Not sure if that's how it's supposed to be done, because I never had this problem while doing the m1X course. Maybe because the bikes we used were more upright position? I dunno.

How do you guys do shoulder checks? Seems like a really important part of riding safely and I just gotta know if what I am doing is "safe" or "proper"

I mean, it worked wen I did it, but what happens if I'm doing my m2X and did the same thing? Would I get a point for that or fail even?

+1 But shifting your body over a bit can help if you need to see further back. Though being situationally aware means I don't have to check as wide an angle over/back.

I speed up to pass the vehicle beside me and occupy the space in front of them....NO CHECK NEEDED ;)...and make sure the neck/collar are a little tighter maybe. One of my jackets I do up all the way and the other I leave down a few inches because of that. If it's new gear it will soften and find it's own way...

Use your mirrors on a regular basis to check what is behind you, the shoulder check is to check your blind spot, that area that mirror doesn't cover and of course, before any lane changes.

Thanks for asking this op, I also have a similar problem and was soon going to ask as I am doing my m some time this summer. My problem is I hqwve scoliosis, had surgery as a kid which involved rods put along my spine, needless to say I can see fine over my right shoulder, but my left the only way I can do a shoulder check is to let go and shift weight to the right side. My question is would I be allowed to do that on my full m road test? Maybe if I explains it to the examiner?

I never have to fully turn my head, keep using your mirrors to look behind you and you should know what is where when you want to change lanes. When you are about to change give a quick slight head turn so you can see your blindspot and then change lanes. By using your mirrors, all you have to turn your head for is the small blind spot that you have (don't have to turn your head all the way around).

I don't take any hands off the bars. When I shoulder check I kind of lean forward a bit I think, as opposed to being upright and just rotating my head. I find it's easier to twist my head around that way. I keep my eyes on my mirrors all the time though, so I generally am only checking my blind spot, and don't need to spend too long looking back.

I've learned to do really short shoulder checks because one time after I swung my head back around traffic had suddenly stopped. It wasn't too close but enough of a surprise to make me realize it's stupid to take longer than you need to looking the other way!

I'm gonna guess that the jacket or padding is too big. My one pieces I've always had the same issue. I'm female wearing a men's suit so the shoulder pad where it cups my shoulder sticks out way too far. Every suit I've owned John Bickle has replaced the shoulder armour to make it fit me better.

Never rely on your mirrors. It's to give you an idea of your surroundings, but nothing is better than actually checking.

Constant monitoring of your mirrors and awareness of your surroundings is key. A quick, short shoulder check is all that is needed. If you find yourself having to turn your whole head and body, you're leaving yourself open to too much change in front of you. (ie. braking/swerving vehicle, change in terrain, object in road, etc).

Thanks guys and girl, sorry to hop in on your thread op, I always am watching my mirrors, my question was more about doing my m and making it more obvious of the shoulder check, I have made adjustments so I can see my blind spots, but know they are big in seeing full head turns..thanks for the good question Ravensix.

Make sure you are going faster than everyone else. No shoulder check needed. :p

Sent from Tapatalk.

AHaha good stuff guys. Thanks

Jay72 no worries, were all here to learn I suppose lol.

But with my helmet hitting my shoulder, it seems like I can only get my head turned only a little bit and it's annoying having feel restricted and cant freely move around. Maybe my shoulders are too big or my neck is too short? ahha I dunno

To make things easier, I have these badboys as well.

gnRFIwG.jpg

Yep I've got convex mirrors too.

Before I used to let go of the left bar if looking to the left. I can get a 180 view

Shift butt half off,(corner position ) which changes shoulder position then look. If checking to your left take left hand off grip to help. If checking right side shoulder and hip movement will give you enough to see easily. For me the more upright I was the easier it was.

Sent from my imaginary friend

Anyone tried these? Won't help with M test where you need to exaggerate your movements so the tester sees you doing it- but might be kinda cool for keeping you more aware of what is around you?
http://www.reevu.com/motorsports/what-you-see/
Not as expensive as i thought it would be...
Didn't see it at the January bike show, but a buddy saw it in March and said it was interesting but potentially disorienting when you look one direction, but see behind you on the opposite.
Suppose you could potentially get used to it?

Back
Top Bottom