Kick stand down bike shuts off cbr600 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kick stand down bike shuts off cbr600

neutral switch maybe?

It could be a faulty side stand switch as you should be able to have the engine running while in neutral and still have the side stand down.

not suppose to kill the engine while in neutral.
if you are in gear, clutch in and throw the kickstand down it will act as a kill switch. there is a way to bypass it.

Either bad clutch switch (common across all types of bikes) or bad neutral switch. Usually easy to diagnose by bypassing the clutch switch at the handlebar. If the motor dies when you drop the kickstand, that is generally an indication that the kickstand switch is working perfectly.

You have a sensor issue. Mine only kills it if the stand is down while it is in gear. The purpose is to prevent you from driving off with the stand down and then low-siding or something.

Ok I change the neutral switch but Fi light still stays on

FI light has nothing to do with your kickstand.... its Fuel Injection, if not started, it should be ON, if bike started and its NOT OFF, go to mechanic, your oxygen sensor or other sensor is bye bye.

In regards to kickstand issue:
1. take a piece of small wire
2. disconnect the wire from kickstand switch and place the wire from one end of the connector to another, Bike should think that the switch is closed, meaning (kickstand up)
3. Start the bike, see if it is starting and working fine.
4. Remove wire, connect back.
5. Do the same with Clutch switch.

And you will figure out where issue is, if it still shuts off after testing both switches, check your wiring harness and stuff, could be faulty wiring

If the bike starts I doubt it's the clutch or stand switch. Prolly the neutral since the bike does not know it's in neutral when you put the stand down.

Sent from the future using my GOLDEN iPhone 30 SS

Ok cool did all the test kick stand switch working good just the Fi light still on so mechanic it is. Check all fuses all good I guess. Thanks everyone for your suggestions

Does the bike have a neutral light? Does it come on?

Sent from the future using my GOLDEN iPhone 30 SS

creates a high-side situation, people have been killed as a result of kickstands coming/being down,

These switches have not been around all that long, a few decades at most. It never killed me or anyone I knew.

Many safety devices and the rules requiring them, are there because someone died. Riding away with the side stand down has the potential for causing a very serious crash, and it's practically certain to have happened (see above post) many times before someone figured out that it might be a good idea to devise an interlock circuit to stop it from happening.

Many safety devices and the rules requiring them, are there because someone died. Riding away with the side stand down has the potential for causing a very serious crash, and it's practically certain to have happened (see above post) many times before someone figured out that it might be a good idea to devise an interlock circuit to stop it from happening.
i know someone who bought a buell in the early 2000's bran new, the kickstand switch was soo sensitive if he went over a bump on the highway sometimes it would kill the motor but he managed to bump start it the first few times. after arguing with HD/Buell they eventually bought the bike off him....but i think he said he went down on the highway before they did... luckily he always wore full leathers, boots and gloves....the down on the highway may have been his previous bike the gsxr, but i cant remember.
i think he got a R1 right after that buell....maybe something else in-between for a year or so.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom