What did you do to your Race/Track Bike today - 2014 | Page 80 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do to your Race/Track Bike today - 2014

Washed the bike with/without bodywork, took off the rains, cleaned swingarm/forks/calipers, put slicks back on, replaced right clipon/foot peg, honed front rotors for new pads, changed oil, removed tank/airbox/tail section for cleaning, opened airbox for cleaning inside, swapped fork springs, drained fuel, resecured battery (came loose in crash) aaaand put the bodywork back on.

Got it. Thanks.

Another question: what's the deal with catch cans?

If you are using the stock radiator coolant reservoir, that serves the purpose for the cooling system. If your crankcase vent goes into the airbox the way the bike originally came from the factory, you don't need anything else for the crankcase vent. If you have a sealed maintenance-free battery, it's a non issue.

If you are using the stock radiator coolant reservoir, that serves the purpose for the cooling system. If your crankcase vent goes into the airbox the way the bike originally came from the factory, you don't need anything else for the crankcase vent. If you have a sealed maintenance-free battery, it's a non issue.
Makes sense. Thanks for your input, Brian. I'll be at Shannonville tomorrow, I'll be sure to ask around just to be on the safe side.

Fired up the gsxr to make sure it's still alive before it goes on the truck to Edmonton. I forgot how angry that bike feels just revving it up a bit. It makes my zx10 seem like a kids toy. I'm definitely riding it at a regional after the nationals are done.

Re: What did you do to your Race/Track Bike today - 2015

Picked up bodywork from Tony this morning. Quick test fit...

mhoV53P.jpg

Is there any way to get live race updates through mylaps? Or is it only after the races are done?

Flushing the brake fluid. Then flushing it again. And still getting brake fade. Ugh.

After today I think I feel the sophomore jinx kicking my butt, ran off the track despite braking conservatively in two different races, still finished 7th in one race and 4th in the other, but give me a break... my last two corners in the AM SBK race, I plowed the front right to the apex trying to slow the bike. Argh.

Flushing the brake fluid. Then flushing it again. And still getting brake fade. Ugh.

After today I think I feel the sophomore jinx kicking my butt, ran off the track despite braking conservatively in two different races, still finished 7th in one race and 4th in the other, but give me a break... my last two corners in the AM SBK race, I plowed the front right to the apex trying to slow the bike. Argh.

Ya maybe you shouldn't race the 1000.

New fork bushings and seal for Amazon's bike. Took the right fork leg apart to find the cartridge not connected to the top cap. Explains why the rebound was super slow before lol

Funny, I had almost no compression damping all last year. It's nice to find a solution to a problem.

Ya maybe you shouldn't race the 1000.

Actually, I've never had the brakes fade on the 1000. I should have taken it out in the AM 1000 race. Just didn't want to adjust my riding that much after being on the 600 so often over the weekend. I had it out for a laugh (no, really, the 600 class is what I want to be in) and qualified 4th in the AM 1000 race with a tire that had been to three - maybe four track days and a freezing winter in my race trailer. It was all good fun until it went sideways twice in the chainsaw and again in 11 ... when those Dunlop slicks have done their best, they go off in a big way... had somewhat the same experience at Mosport when a tire was worn past the wear markers, the bike tried to come around three times in one lap. A fresh tire showed no inclination whatsoever.

Anyway, I think the infamous Suzuki rotor issue has crept up, my rotors have years of race and track use and I was sacrificing lap time by Sunday trying to use the brakes less hard. Nothing seemed to work, was boiling the fluid in the calipers after about 6-7 laps. I didn't ride my best overall, but still the brakes really hurt my lap times. The Suzuki rotors are thin and don't soak up much heat thus the heat goes into the calipers rather than wheel or rotor - perfectly fine for street use or even track days, but racing is a whole different level of stress obviously. So I'm going to swap my BrakeTech ductile rotors off one of my spare set of wheels for my 1000 (I should sell a set, I have three), put in some RBF 660 and give that a try. I've also heard of people shimming the brake rotors a bit out off the wheel with Suzukis to get more air past the rotor, may give that a try if I can't solve it another way.

Also had some bad fuel, I don't know exactly how but as I was filling up the 600 for the last race, there was literally water droplets forming in the funnel. My best guess is that the U4 soaked up a lot of humidity, my friend was helping crew and I told him to keep the cans airtight and in shade whenever possible. I noticed when I got there in the morning (i'm 25-30 minutes from the track) that the vent cap was open and never thought about it again. As I used up the last of the can for the race, the funnel was literally beading up all around it with water - not just a little bit, so I was fuelling, wiping the funnel, fuelling, wiping ... it was either that or miss the race. Naturally the bike ran even worse than it usually does at anything but full throttle but this time couldn't even catch Mike H. down the back straight despite his bike missing at high RPM. FML.

Like I said, sophomore jinx?

Cool billet res cap thanks to The Power Garage
ft3dBvG.jpg

After some part issues finally got slipper in. this **** is the best
EYWBSST.jpg

I'm incredibly grateful for the support from none other than Sonnythebull
Xf6CatC.jpg

Very nice, kellen. I should get a real slipper clutch some day.

Well, I got my bike back from Scott Miller today. After some debug it turned out to be a bad fuel pump even though it passed the pressure and flow tests. He finished the dyno tuning today. Final numbers in the hot dyno room with hot gas, 110.6hp and a hair under 45ft-lbs, sweet! Can't wait to ride it. He also spent a bunch of time tweaking all the 5% and 2% throttle openings so it should be nice and smooth. :)

This morning I changed oil and filter, coolant flush, swapped back to dry weather wheels with a new D211 GP-A rear, put all the bodywork back on. Ready to go for Shannonville this week.

I installed (non-fitting, possibly wrong year) bodywork and headlights :)

11731956_10101006186771345_368629035587194080_o.jpg

It held together at Calabogie today though!

Back
Top Bottom