Online Store for Survival/Outdoor gear? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Online Store for Survival/Outdoor gear?

Macs

Site Supporter
I'm starting a program next year in Environmental Science/Tech and need about 3-4 grand worth of gear. I'd prefer to get most of it in one place. Besides Altitude Sports does anyone know a reputable online dealer? Cheaper is better but I will pay for quality, Canada preferred.

I tried MEC but they charge a premium and I just can't swallow it

The premium at MEC isnt that big, and the guarantee makes up for it. Ive had to swallow a couple of equipment failures at other retailers.

However if you want a good deal on some gear go to the Europe Bound outlet at Queen and Parliament. Final sale but you can get good gear at great prices. 4 Grand is a lot of gear. I dont think I have that much unless you count my canoe and I have enough to live in the woods almost indefinitely.

I'm starting a program next year in Environmental Science/Tech and need about 3-4 grand worth of gear. I'd prefer to get most of it in one place. Besides Altitude Sports does anyone know a reputable online dealer? Cheaper is better but I will pay for quality, Canada preferred.

I tried MEC but they charge a premium and I just can't swallow it

I've always found MEC to be priced well compared to Sport Chek / Altitude sports, etc..
Another option is Lebaron's. If you buy a $25 yearly membership you save 10% on most things in the store.
Basspro and Cabelas have good specials sometimes, but otherwise can be expensive.
Lastly, try the big Army surplus stores as they usually have outdoor gear for cheap (although the quality is often cheap too).

I know none of those are online only; but MEC, basspro, cabelas, and to some extent Lebaron's have some online presence.

Question though, what are you going to be studying within environmental science and you need 3 to 4k worth of gear?
I did 6 years in env. science including many surveying, soil science, forestry, and limnology courses with nothing more than a good pair of boots and clothes/tents/etc from walmart or canadian tire.

Sail
Trailhead
Bushtukah
Canadian outdoor Equipment
MEC

LeBaron
Bass Pro

Good stuff is expensive.

Cheap stuff can be found at Army Surps.

MEC isn't really that far off the mark for some things. It depends on what you are after.

I've always found MEC to be priced well compared to Sport Chek / Altitude sports, etc..
Another option is Lebaron's. If you buy a $25 yearly membership you save 10% on most things in the store.
Basspro and Cabelas have good specials sometimes, but otherwise can be expensive.
Lastly, try the big Army surplus stores as they usually have outdoor gear for cheap (although the quality is often cheap too).

I know none of those are online only; but MEC, basspro, cabelas, and to some extent Lebaron's have some online presence.

Question though, what are you going to be studying within environmental science and you need 3 to 4k worth of gear?
I did 6 years in env. science including many surveying, soil science, forestry, and limnology courses with nothing more than a good pair of boots and clothes/tents/etc from walmart or canadian tire.

I'm buying for 2 people, don't worry guys :p thanks for the info, I guess I'll check out Lebaron and go back to MEC. The course materials cost around 1 grand tops, but the co-op portion has me working with a mining/logging/logistics corp and they have their own set of mandatory gear down to the brand and model (not cheap).

I'm buying for 2 people, don't worry guys :p thanks for the info, I guess I'll check out Lebaron and go back to MEC. The course materials cost around 1 grand tops, but the co-op portion has me working with a mining/logging/logistics corp and they have their own set of mandatory gear down to the brand and model (not cheap).

I bet there's a reason...

I know it's been mentioned, but SAIL is a great store. Couple of my favourite pieces of kit come from there.

I bet the reason is professor sponsors or kick back.

Mandating a type of tent or stove is ridiculous.

Can you provide the gear list, out of curiousity.

The super-specific stuff is a Jacket/Pants, Boots, Knife, Whistle, Compass, Watch and Snowshoes. Everything else is up to us

Boots, those are unique per person. Just like some running shoes don't fit some people, not every brand of boot fits every foot.
Whistle, go fox 40 and you can't go wrong.
Compass, get a good quality, make sure it is in degrees or mills depending on what they specify.
Knife... Again, go for good quality and something similar to what they want.
Watch... I had a cheapo Coleman Walmart watch last me through all my Pre-tour training, through a tour and it was still working awesome when I lost it this spring. It was beat to hell but it always worked, 4 years after I bought it. Unless they specify for a gps watch.
Snowshoes I can't help you out with much.
Jacket and pants, you're probably going to need something tough, what did they recommend?

Boots, those are unique per person. Just like some running shoes don't fit some people, not every brand of boot fits every foot.
Whistle, go fox 40 and you can't go wrong.
Compass, get a good quality, make sure it is in degrees or mills depending on what they specify.
Knife... Again, go for good quality and something similar to what they want.
Watch... I had a cheapo Coleman Walmart watch last me through all my Pre-tour training, through a tour and it was still working awesome when I lost it this spring. It was beat to hell but it always worked, 4 years after I bought it. Unless they specify for a gps watch.
Snowshoes I can't help you out with much.
Jacket and pants, you're probably going to need something tough, what did they recommend?

*Strongly* recommend Danner boots. Fox 40 whistle is specified lol good to know. Brunton OSS50M compass, I've heard bad things... Gerber, Ka-Bar or CRKT fixed-blade knife. It's a watch with built in GPS and "oh ****" button. GV Snowshoes. Wetskins Mariner jacket/pants as a 3-season, winter we have discretion but they want a full parka.

Get a Silva Ranger instead of the 50m or, step up from the 50m to the 70m.

The real deal is the Brunton Transit line but that's getting a little crazy for price.

backcountry.com (BCA) has great deals and unlimited lifetime warranty. Their in house brand, Stoic is hit and miss. Sometimes it's amazing value sometimes it blows. Good overall.

steepandcheap.com (SAC) is their liquidation web site. Also check their new gear cache. http://www.sacalerts.com/ to check what was on SAC. While they only offer a 30 return policy, they honor stoic lifetime warranty.
I just scored a 15F 850 fill down 2LB bag for $209 on SAC. Nice bag. Very close to the Western Mountaineering bag I got my GF for more than double the price.

geartrade.com is where SAC sells some of their returns.

theclymb.com good fire sale site.

golite.com is a good manufacturer. Their prices are unbelievably low. The imogene tents, quest backpacks, and Z10 sleeping bags are very nice.

zpacks.com cuben fiber stuff and quilts.

Froogle.com to find the cheappest. BCA is usually at the top.

To find used gear on forums type "fs -article name-" in google.

If you have to carry your stuff make sure you go LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT. Read mike clelland ultralight backpacking tips. The book is filled with great tips on how to lighten your load and how to save money. Sure it gets a bit extreme when they guy recommends using an underrated sleeping bad and doing crunches when you get cold.

If you are backpacking, can I be your personal shopper? I love gear whoring.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thread OP and thanks for all the info everyone else. A+ thread.

The premium at MEC isnt that big, and the guarantee makes up for it. Ive had to swallow a couple of equipment failures at other retailers.

However if you want a good deal on some gear go to the Europe Bound outlet at Queen and Parliament. Final sale but you can get good gear at great prices. 4 Grand is a lot of gear. I dont think I have that much unless you count my canoe and I have enough to live in the woods almost indefinitely.
I don't even think they charge a premium. For most items I've found their costs are lower than the competition. They just have expensive stuff. It's not more expensive simply because MEC sells it. I guess you could say their MEC-branded items might be expensive. For example, the best prices I've found for Pelican cases (without going to the US) is from MEC.

Personally I'd find all my items I needed on Amazon.com and have it shipped to Buffalo.

Back
Top Bottom