Bike cranks but will not catch and will not shift from first. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike cranks but will not catch and will not shift from first.

Codeh002

Today I was riding on the highway and my bike would not go above 108km. I downshift from 5th to 4th and lost all power, at this point it became very difficult to downshift the bike. I pulled over to the side of the highway and turned my bike off to inspect everything. I am currently running into these issues.

- The bike will crank but it sounds very "tingy" (if that makes sense) the bike will not start no matter how many times this was tried.
- The bike will not shift out of first gear, no matter how much I move the bike or fiddle with the shifter it refuses to change the gear, it does move up and down though the same distance it would normally.
- I noticed some oil was dripping from my bolt (not a lot and my oil still is well above the F line)

At this point my bike is sitting in my garage, I have no idea what it could be. Any help would be appreciated.

The bike is a 09 Hyosung GT250R Carb.

Gah, well I am taking it in on Monday to get a diagnosis, I guess I will have to wait and see.

I have one addition question because this has me worried.

This is how hyosung explains on how to install the filter

99qk51.jpg

. Yet in the picture below picture you can see they are putting it in the wrong way or at least based on my interpretation of the manual it is incorrect.

oil_filter.jpg

My question is, did I put my filter in the wrong way or the correct way? I put it in so that the tiny hole was against the engine and the larges hole with the markings and part number were away from the engine.

Gah, well I am taking it in on Monday to get a diagnosis, I guess I will have to wait and see.
Keep us updated, with pics if possible. Good luck on finding a new engine or replacement bike. New Ninja 300 is pretty hot.

-Jamie M.

Based on what I've read on this site about Hyosungs, your engine is probably finished.

Not yet, I was suppose to bring the bike in today but my useless brother bailed on me with his truck, so it will remain a mystery until I can get access to a truck. Once I know I will post an update for sure.

I think you put the filter in backwards the closed end should be against the spring on the outside. Probably starved the engine of oil.

based on what I am seeing I think so too, if that is the case I am going to snap on Hyosung. There picture shows the side with the big hole and all the markings on my filter are on the side with the big hole not the little one.

I dont see how either picture is incorrect?

If you take it to hyosung and blame them they are not gonna help you out. After all they will say, "should have let us do the oil change"

If you are nice you might catch some breaks from them

You are not the only one to F something up in your bike majorly so dont beat your self up too much, a little bit is fine

:)

Next time when ever you are taking off a part look at it before its off, take a moment, take pictures, record it ,whatever it takes so you can reference back to it. It's what i do.

Good luck

I agree,

But in the Manual it says "Ensure the end with the Hyosung Markings is facing outside (Whatever that means?) The end that had the Hyosung marking was the end with the larger hole, not the little one. So following the manual I made sure the larger hole was facing away from the engine. ( I miss my 125 :( none of this filter b.s) What irks me is when I opened the bike up the previous filter was in correctly but based on the manual I assumed that THEY had done it wrong because the manuals states differently. Regardless Bike will be in shop tomorrow and I will know for sure.

UPDATE #1
I figured since a few people asked I would provide updates about the condition of my bike. It is finally in the shop but they are pretty backlogged and said they cannot really look at it until sometime next week which I assume will be Wed, or Thurs.

On a side note, while bringing it to the shop we were able to get it into neutral so the bike will "sorta" shift. It took a bit of work with my foot but it will shift, I am hoping that is a good sign.

not knowing your bike and it's inner working, but a buddy of mine just had the same issue on his Yamaha FZ750, can't get it to shift either...

so the problem could be similar

you will need to check for a weak pawl spring, bent worn or binding pawls, a broken return spring, or worn shift drum pins or worn stopper lever spring

if any of the above is in your bike.....

the shop will tell you for sure...

Engine is pooched as the mechanic told me, he keeps finding "pea sized" aluminum shrapnel inside the motor. A new motor will cost me 3300 dollars give or take after tax. This sucks :( ****ING HYOSUNG! SHOULDA LISTENED

Engine is pooched as the mechanic told me, he keeps finding "pea sized" aluminum shrapnel inside the motor. A new motor will cost me 3300 dollars give or take after tax. This sucks :( ****ING HYOSUNG! SHOULDA LISTENED

Scared_monkey.jpg

Sorry to hear that. Hyosung quality - eyeyeye

This sucks :( ****ING HYOSUNG! SHOULDA LISTENED

Yea, you should have...and people still try and claim its superior to the Ninja :lmao:. This is the 3rd blown one I've personally seen on GTAM.

I'm a tard so I will keep and use as a parts bike.

what?? You plan on getting another Hyosung? Just look on ebay and find a new engine, it will cost less than a grand, til it blows up again :lmao:.

This one is not a manufacturing defect it is user error in putting the filter in backwards. If I flipped the filter in my Honda it would blow up as well. That being said I wouldn't buy a Hyosung there is no where near enough of a price difference to justify it.

Back
Top Bottom