Busted cam shaft... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Busted cam shaft...

emortal1333

Hey all,

So, Wednesday night I leave work at 12am on my 2008 Hyosung GT250R and it seems a touch sluggish -- I assumed at the moment that it may have been a bit cold is all. I carry on and don't hear anything suspicious, albeit I wear earplugs while riding and may have missed something small, sound wise. I'm riding across Dundas, WB toward Ninth Ln and as I ride across the 403 overpass to stop at the 403 WB off-ramp lights, I hear a rattling/light grinding sound and the bike sputters out and stalls. This is between 3-5 minutes of leaving work just off of Bristol Circle.

Anyways, my bro brought our truck to pick me and the bike up and the next day we tear it down at his shop to see what might be going on. My brothers initial thought was a busted timing chain (before we got in). As we open up the engine, we find that a cam shaft is SNAPPED right in half on the front cylinder. Sure enough, the timing chain had quite the slack to it as well. I should also add that we haven't gotten all the way into the cylinder yet to check out the piston and the casing.

One of the guys I talk to about bikes suggested I claim it under insurance and junk it... bogus suggestion?

I'm new to the mechanical aspect of anything with an engine, so this has got me on my heels, but I was hoping someone could shed some light on what I should do to rectify this issue.

Is it worth the time/money to fix this type of thing?
Is this evidence that there might be an underlying issue that led to this and it may recur?

Any other information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Brandon

PICS BELOW
Bike:
photo31.jpg

Cam shaft, timing chain, etc...
photo21.jpg

photo11.jpg

Valves:
photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

Last edited:
Another member here had his engine catasrophically fail in his Hyosung GT250R and Hyosung authorized a replacement. I am unsure of the year of his bike and the warranty status, but the new engine was all chromed out and blingy =)

-Jamie M.
(P.S. Pics of carnage like that are always great to see. SLR that puppy and post em up!)

Please post the pics, I'd love to see them

What year is your bike and is it under warranty?

Krashasaki wants to see pics, as this is a type of crash he hasn't managed to pull off yet. Your pics will help Krashasaki make that happen. Too bad it's out of warranty. I'd say your options are to find another engine, buy one, or quite honestly, just buy a new bike.

Not to sound insensitive, but this is why Krashasaki is better than Hyosung. Krashasaki takes a lickin, and keeps on tickin!

I have a crashed 250 in the shop with a bent frame. I am betting the owner would either part it out or sell you the whole thing.

PM Ken with your contact info? :)
ROFL!!! LOL!!! :)

What's the mileage on the engine? I would still contact the manufacturer, because this is really ridiculous.
+1

For SURE contact the manufacturer, I'm pretty sure the person who had their engine replaced was OUT OF WARRANTY as well. He said "they" said it was "oil starvation" but they said it had the correct amount of oil in it, so not sure what that means.

-Jamie M.

ROFL!!! LOL!!! :)

+1

For SURE contact the manufacturer, I'm pretty sure the person who had their engine replaced was OUT OF WARRANTY as well. He said "they" said it was "oil starvation" but they said it had the correct amount of oil in it, so not sure what that means.

-Jamie M.

Could mean a faulty oil sump or something. Just because there's oil, doesn't mean it's circulating correctly.

I have a crashed 250 in the shop with a bent frame. I am betting the owner would either part it out or sell you the whole thing.

Might be the best deal out there. Quick swap and you're rolling, with a bunch of spare parts to boot.

Wow I've never heard of a camshaft snapping in half. I would push the manufacture to replace the engine warranty or not.

What's next an axle or triple tree? If they give you a hard time tell them you are going to submit the broken camshaft for metallurgical testing to determine the cause of failure. I would be willing to bet the cause is use of substandard materials rather than oil starvation. Ridiculous!!

Okay, so after getting a bit deeper into the engine, it appears that the cam shaft is snapped, the valves are bent and the chain tensioner is no good. My brother looked around for some local dealer prices; we're talking $700 for everything brand new.

I guess getting a scrapped engine is best at this point.

Random question out of curiosity: What is the feasibility of dropping an SV650 engine in that bad boy if I could get one for a reasonable price?

Its cheaper to buy a sv650, than it is to swap the engine into a hyosung 250.

post pics of the engine

Random question out of curiosity: What is the feasibility of dropping an SV650 engine in that bad boy if I could get one for a reasonable price?

Not very feasible at all. Larger engine, different mounts. Will need much fabrication work from a shop that's willing to do it and will cost a lot. Even if you did find someone to do it, highly unlikely you'll get it back before end of riding season. Buy the used engine and be done with it. Then get a decent bike ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom