blackberry 10 | Page 70 | GTAMotorcycle.com

blackberry 10

Master Guru Gary....

more optimism for Black Betty? (quarterly earnings report comes out this fri)

BlackBerry to ring Nasdaq closing bell in Times Square....

WOW.
I'm impressed.
It's not everyday someone from a company rings the closing bell. (for his $1.45M / yr, the CFO better do a damn good job, ringing that bell).
It's so unimportant, Betty doesn't show any indication of ringing bells on their website.
More WOWSERS:
They must be the only listed company to report every 3 months!!

Do you actually own Betty's stock?
(I didn't think so.....lol)

so I broke my note 3.

I'm thinking bb now.

couple of questions:
1. any chance I can go and test out the phone somewhere?
2. need big screen which model do you guys recommend?
3. I'm with wind. not planning to leave where can I get an unlocked phone?
4. why is it cheaper for bb phones in us and canada?
5. any good deals?
6. should I wait for Boxing day?

You can try mine if you're in the area (Bathurst and Steeles). It's the Z30 which is the largest full-screen device they have (5.0"). There's a guy selling one here for a fair deal; http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cell-phone/c...ty/1040021414?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true I got mine for $410 a year ago.

Dunno about US vs. Canada prices or upcoming deals.

Came across a pretty fair review of BB10 OS in this review of the new Classic model announced today; http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/12/17/blackberry-classic-review/

If you skip the parts about the hardware and got to Software and Performance it should give a good perspective on whether BB10 is for you. In a nutshell, if you're a user who's always pushing what your phone can do with the very latest apps, you will be disappointed. If you use it for calls, messages, documents, scheduling, social media, browsing, news, videos, maps and so on, then you should be very happy. It's not so hot with game selection and picture quality.

Last edited:
Kevin Oleary loves it.........this guy tells it like it is...... just love it.......

[video]http://www.bnn.ca/Video/player.aspx?vid=515518[/video]

See below for the rest......

so I broke my note 3.

I'm thinking bb now.

couple of questions:
1. any chance I can go and test out the phone somewhere? Telus will have a Passport on display, likely a Classic and if you're lucky, a Z30.
2. need big screen which model do you guys recommend? Passport, hands down.
3. I'm with wind. not planning to leave where can I get an unlocked phone? Wind will carry the Classic, but won't get it till January. Your best bet for unlocked is http://store.shopblackberry.com/store?Action=DisplayHomePage&Locale=en_CA&SiteID=bbrryus Canadian pricing, and no extra duties or taxes when it crosses the border.
4. why is it cheaper for bb phones in us and canada? we are suckers and always pay more. Price is cheaper down there to make it more competitive and get sales going...
5. any good deals? they had a blow out deal on Z30s for $299. maybe on Boxing day they will do it again.

Last edited:
so I broke my note 3.

I'm thinking bb now.

couple of questions:
1. any chance I can go and test out the phone somewhere?
2. need big screen which model do you guys recommend?
3. I'm with wind. not planning to leave where can I get an unlocked phone?
4. why is it cheaper for bb phones in us and canada?
5. any good deals?

Screen real estate wise, the Z30 or the Passport.

the Z30 is a proven device, solid device, great battery life even for its size, lots of features most people don't know about.

BB's are more utility than flair. It will do everything you need a smartphone to do. It will take OK-decent pictures. It will not be good for the latest and greatest iOS or Android apps.

Only thing you'll 'need' to do is to install SNAP, this allows you easy access to the play store.

If you have any android specific applications or NOTE specific applications, they may not work. Something to consider.

The z30 can be had for $300 if you get the right sale. I bought an unlocked one direct from BB last year for $450. Worked great with various carriers overseas as well when travelling.

If anyone here works for bb please tell them they need to learn how to not alienate their canadian customers.

Loyal customer here, bought my first one over 10 yrs ago, never have I felt alienated - lol. It's a phone not a girlfriend.

Ffiw I have had 5 BBs, currently have the z30. If the PP comes down in price (discounted through my work)I would think about it. I'm perfectly happy with the 30 though.

explain....
I believe he means because Bb's are more expensive in Canada the the US.

It is unfortunate, but our dollar is ****, our import taxes are higher (even though BlackBerry is a Canadian company the devices are made elsewhere so they still have to be imported), and BlackBerry is far from the only company to compensate for that or even benefit from it. Pretty much everything is cheaper in the US. It's a fact of life like death and taxes.

I believe he means because Bb's are more expensive in Canada the the US.

It is unfortunate, but our dollar is ****, our import taxes are higher (even though BlackBerry is a Canadian company the devices are made elsewhere so they still have to be imported), and BlackBerry is far from the only company to compensate for that or even benefit from it. Pretty much everything is cheaper in the US. It's a fact of life like death and taxes.

Don't forget that Canadians 'like' (will?) pay more. If they'll pay more, they'll get charged more.

quarterly earnings report comes out this fri

Sir Sunny:
you know the results are out.
Because they didn't surprise, you're silent?

Revenue fell to $793 million from $1.19 billion a year earlier, falling short of analysts' expectations of $931.5 million.

"It's a number that obviously, to us, is not satisfying,"

Chief Executive Officer John Chen said on a conference call,

Most headlines are within the last 90 minutes: (I'm not lol'ing either)

BlackBerry Sales Disappoint at The Wall Street Journal

BlackBerry struggles on revenue as leader Chen pushes ahead The Canadian Press

BlackBerry misses revenue forecasts at Financial Times

TSX racks up fourth day of advances, BlackBerry revenues fall The Canadian Press

CANADA STOCKS-TSX rises as energy gains offset drag from BlackBerry Reuters

BlackBerry third-quarter revenue falls more than expected, shares drop Reuters

LOL yes they sold less phones then was hopped for, but they had also only released the one new model, which is a niche product. The product with more mass appeal is out this week. Also they are up in other areas of business. They turned cash flow positive this quarter even with 2 acquisitions.. A quarter earlier then promised on top of that.

The numbers aren't that bad. Make no mistake, they aren't outstandingly good either.. But they aren't that bad. And the street agrees because the stock closed flat at the end of the day.

Sir Sunny:
you know the results are out.
Because they didn't surprise, you're silent?

Sorry you missed me, was away from a computer for most of the day as I had to attend to a personal matter.

CEO Chen is only 13 months or so into his tenure and had done a bang up job. You'll recall a year ago, they reported a loss of 4 Billion in the quarter.

Chen said he would return the company to profitability in 8 quarters.

In yesterdays report, BB earned a profit, where the analysts were expecting a loss. Chen is 2 quarters ahead in his plan. This is good news.

Last year, he said he gave a 50/50 chance the company would survive. Now he says it has a 99% chance. Anybody who has followed Chen knows that "he tells it like it is"

Chen on Bloomberg interview...."I have been very consistent about it, we will focus on positive cash flow, and positive profits (first)....revenue growth will come next year..."

IMHO, next 2 quarterly results Feb/May will be the ones to watch, and truly give a pulse into whether their focus on software, and to a less degree devices, will be successful:

-BES12 launched recently and they should report revenue on this.
-the Classic just launched and for the first time in ages, US carrier support will be there. AT T, Verizon and others will be carrying this product and if I read correctly, they will also assist in the marketing. This is very important for them to move handsets.
-they also launched BBM meetings and other pay for services. Again, these should generate revenue.

Also other notables that came out recently that can only help BB's case :

-Vodafone gets almost a billion dollar loan to buy specifically BlackBerry products and services.

-Samsung, who's mobile business and profits are falling off the cliff, looking to improve their paltry 2% government business market are getting in bed with BlackBerry, which basically admits to the world that BB is world class security, and no matter how much they tinker with Android Knox, its still had more security holes than swiss cheese.

-Boeing, the second largest US defence contractor, is now looking to BB as well to secure their special self destructing "black phone".

-I could go on and on about recent new customers and collaborations with NantHealth, Ingram Micro, Mackenzie Health, Ocean Capital, etc, but I would just bore you with this.

Future sure doesn't look too shabby for everyones favourite "bankrupt" tech company. :lol:

EDIT : added link for your viewing pleasure..... http://www.bloomberg.com/video/blac...-strategy-outlook-HCRr5rqhR7WtZifDhYu50A.html

Last edited:
Sorry you missed me, was away from a computer for most of the day as I had to attend to a personal matter.

CEO Chen is only 13 months or so into his tenure and had done a bang up job. You'll recall a year ago, they reported a loss of 4 Billion in the quarter.

Chen said he would return the company to profitability in 8 quarters.

In yesterdays report, BB earned a profit, where the analysts were expecting a loss. Chen is 2 quarters ahead in his plan. This is good news.

Last year, he said he gave a 50/50 chance the company would survive. Now he says it has a 99% chance. Anybody who has followed Chen knows that "he tells it like it is"

Chen on Bloomberg interview...."I have been very consistent about it, we will focus on positive cash flow, and positive profits (first)....revenue growth will come next year..."

IMHO, next 2 quarterly results Feb/May will be the ones to watch, and truly give a pulse into whether their focus on software, and to a less degree devices, will be successful:

-BES12 launched recently and they should report revenue on this.
-the Classic just launched and for the first time in ages, US carrier support will be there. AT T, Verizon and others will be carrying this product and if I read correctly, they will also assist in the marketing. This is very important for them to move handsets.
-they also launched BBM meetings and other pay for services. Again, these should generate revenue.

Also other notables that came out recently that can only help BB's case :

-Vodafone gets almost a billion dollar loan to buy specifically BlackBerry products and services.

-Samsung, who's mobile business and profits are falling off the cliff, looking to improve their paltry 2% government business market are getting in bed with BlackBerry, which basically admits to the world that BB is world class security, and no matter how much they tinker with Android Knox, its still had more security holes than swiss cheese.

-Boeing, the second largest US defence contractor, is now looking to BB as well to secure their special self destructing "black phone".

-I could go on and on about recent new customers and collaborations with NantHealth, Ingram Micro, Mackenzie Health, Ocean Capital, etc, but I would just bore you with this.

Future sure doesn't look too shabby for everyones favourite "bankrupt" tech company. :lol:

EDIT : added link for your viewing pleasure..... http://www.bloomberg.com/video/blac...-strategy-outlook-HCRr5rqhR7WtZifDhYu50A.html

Thank you for the video link. (Did you watch the one that "auto follows" the video you linked?)
It solidifies my decision to not own betty stock.
This guy is running on everything Balislle's failure was made from. Go figure.
I'm happy for you that you don't own any stock either!

You could go on without boring me, but it's more than likely I've read everything you posted a day earlier (or earlier in the day).
9:30am - 4:00 Monday - Friday is some of my favorite times, ya know.
That's how I've come to realize that betty is not the only tech company or the only cell phone maker on the planet.

About earnings.
I love the part where Chen laughs at the question from the lady.
Yes. They report 4 times a yr. QUARTERLY.
Not Feb / May.
Where do you get this stuff?
Sure - the new phone will show up in MARCH's (and JUNE) earnings.
What happened to all the real estate Chen dumped?
When's that going to show up? (maybe it did in past q's - I don't particularily care - but I'm not trolling).

VOD getting money from our govt to buy betty's cell phones. (I cried a tear or two when I saw that the other day.)
Isn't that special?
Now, our Feds / WE / US / YOU & ME are keeping betty alive, and you think Chen is part of this?

I could go on, but I'd just bore you to death.

If you're into investing, pick yourself up some AAL & WJA. Thank me in a year.
Stay clear of Betty, unless you're thinking buyout.

If you're into investing, pick yourself up some AAL & WJA. Thank me in a year.
Stay clear of Betty, unless you're thinking buyout.

But ... but ... they're not the latest whiz-bang tech stocks! :)

I've owned an airline stock since the days when everyone was saying you can't make money in airline stocks. It's pretty close to having paid back my entire original investment in dividends so now it's just along for the ride. I just bought some call options in SU when the experts were saying it wasn't time to get back in. (they missed the big jump in the last couple of days) I think I'll just hang onto those options until I'm forced to buy SU at $27 in March. Boo hoo.

I've only been in and out of BB to trade it. Smartphones are too subject to the whims of fickle consumers to make me want to invest long term.

Back
Top Bottom