Highbeams? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Highbeams?

Don't do it.

I can't stand it when riders do this.. not to mention it is illegal.. even during the day.

I had someone behind me on a group ride with his high beams on... was all i could see in my mirror.. I stopped the ride and told him he had to leave the group. High beams are to look for wildlife when you are alone on a non lighted road or highway outside of the city.

Re: Don't do it.

I can't stand it when riders do this.. not to mention it is illegal.. even during the day.

I had someone behind me on a group ride with his high beams on... was all i could see in my mirror.. I stopped the ride and told him he had to leave the group. High beams are to look for wildlife when you are alone on a non lighted road or highway outside of the city.

During the day?

I don't ride in the city and only flip on my highbeams when there is no one around on a road that isn't lit up.

with no lights on people could see me
with reg lights on people can see me
with high beams on you piss off people.

just learn to ride and watch for everyone, pretend they cant drive.

I think if your so scared u need high beams on all day then you shouldnt ride.

on a side note I do know a few bikes whos lights are very dim (my buddys 07 superglide I think). some have 1 headlight thats note bright and doesnt even seem like a high beam. but again I think he should just upgrade his bulb.

I crazy glued my high beams on.

During the day?

Yes during the day - leave them off except to draw attention.-
Many high beams are bright enough even in the day to obscure the rider and it's annoying to other drivers. Also leaving them on takes away the one way ( other than a horn ) to draw the attention of an inattentive driver.
Leave yourself that option.

Why didn't you just ask him to turn them off instead of telling him to leave the group?

Yes during the day - leave them off except to draw attention.-
Many high beams are bright enough even in the day to obscure the rider and it's annoying to other drivers. Also leaving them on takes away the one way ( other than a horn ) to draw the attention of an inattentive driver.
Leave yourself that option.

yup

Why didn't you just ask him to turn them off instead of telling him to leave the group?

He was given the opportunity to turn them off.. he refused.. said it was for his safety. So he had to go.

I make sure to give people with their highbeams on when they aren't supposed to a nice long answer with my own highbeams.

Thats just me saying "i saw you jackass"

If you are that concerned about being seen, turn off the darn highbeams and wear a darn safety-vest!!!

If you are that concerned about being seen, turn off the darn highbeams and wear a darn safety-vest!!!

Ride as your are invisible.

Safer than loud pipes, bright lights, hi viz neon vests and edible panties.

Ride as your are invisible.

Safer than loud pipes, bright lights, hi viz neon vests and edible panties.

whoah whoah.. let's not hate on the edible panties..

shorts are dangerous for yourself, highbeams are dangerous to others.

I had laser eye surgery, so my eyes are sensitive to light at night. It's extra annoying when riders have highbeams on.

I wonder how many drivers have said "oh man, almost didn't see that rider, good thing he had his highbeams on." lol

I know some of you probably find this a joke of a thread but I find it interesting because one of the instructors at the m2 course in whitby said that he rides around with his high beams on. I've only done it during high traffic hours but now I'm reconsidering it.

i ride with my high beams on all the time too, day and night city and country.

when i drivin my car and i see a bike with their high beams on , i can pick them out and notice them much easier.
also i have never been bothered by it. the singlr head light high beam is not as bad as the dual car.

somr people are going to have a beef just cuz thats their beef. its just how it is

U guys are funny, mOst of you ride with shorts , yet highbeams are dangerous LOL ! Flame away gtam !

I suppose riding with shorts obscures other driver's vision as well...

(Insert joke here...)

Not only is it ilegal. It is rude. Any instructor who told you to do this should have his teaching licence revolked

i ride with my high beams on all the time too, day and night city and country.

when i drivin my car and i see a bike with their high beams on , i can pick them out and notice them much easier.
also i have never been bothered by it. the singlr head light high beam is not as bad as the dual car.

somr people are going to have a beef just cuz thats their beef. its just how it is

ok so let me pose these questions

1. when you come to a red light do you do tire lane changes, (from left tire to right tire track vice versa) and hit your brakes on and off when coming to a stop and during the stop so that a car behind you notices you? just in case they are the one that doesnt notice

2. when you see a car waiting to make a left turn or a right turn do you do tire lane changes? so they take notice of you incase they are thinking about their work?

3. do you cover the brake lever with your hand when you approach an intersection? and come off the throttle untill you fully analyzed the intersection.

high beams make you more visible and the things mentioned above which i do as second nature make a difference.

i ride with a 3/4 helmet and t-shirt sometimes and people probably laff at me ? but yet i look at a guy wearing everything he can probably wear and flyi thru an intersection leaving themselves at mercy of some rookie driver with a 3 month licence waiting on a turn and texting...

its a matter of choice, its what makes you enjoy the ride.. for me its a t shirt, high beams and the other things

for some one else its full gear and doing none of the above.

the best is full gear and all of the above

but if riding is about freedom and enjoyment then people should feel free and ride how they want within reason.

i have never had a cop give me trouble over my high beams..

Oh boy. When I started riding there were no running light laws. I hated them.
Still do.
You were responsible for your own saftey.
Who needs to rely on a headlight keeping you safe???
If you do, maybe you should re-think your views of saftey.

high beams make you more visible and the things mentioned above which i do as second nature make a difference.

no they don't
a change from low to high makes you more visible - for the same reason changing lanes does.
ANYTHING fixed goes into the ignore column.
You can ride however you want - just don't think high beams make you more visible.
***umptions n all

There is a reason trains have that variable light up front.

[video=youtube;f3PU4UyzIoY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3PU4UyzIoY[/video]

•••

Who needs to rely on a headlight keeping you safe???

except the law worked so well with mcycles in reducing accidents they applied it to cars as well. What possible harm is it having low beams on during the day.
Go with the statistics.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom