High beam all the time? | GTAMotorcycle.com

High beam all the time?

When do you use High Beam?

• Total voters

RodneyBR

Site Supporter
I did the Durham Motorcycle M1 Exit course this weekend, learned lots, passed and one of the Instructors mentioned it's safest to always have your front lights set to high beam. I didn't before, but now I have mine set to high beam all the time. Better for other drivers to see you, right.

Last edited:
Learned that a few years ago.
Some people refuse to use it.
Personal experience... I find cagers pay more attention to me with them on high.

Ride Safe!

An instructor told you to do it? Can you share his name and contact information so I can email him and tell him he's a friggin idiot?

Don't ride with your high beams on. Illegally blinding other road users does not make you any safer.

No.

It was a good idea back in the 60's and earlier with bikes that had anemic headlights.

If you have a modern bike with decent headlights adjusted properly (many bikes today have dent headlight, for example my V-Strom, or any bike with HID's) you are actually making it harder for a car driver to notice that you are a bike, to tell your speed and location.These are critical things that need to register on the driver's subconscious to let him be aware you are a threat.
If you want to helo increase your odds of staying alive please view the video at the beginning of this thread:

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...ing-that-will-help-you-stay-alive-this-season.

And for further reading please go to the links in my signature.

..Tom

Becareful with your high beams...

If I'm in my car and you high beam me "at all times" you're gonna be ****** when I high beam you back with my super brights.

I'm going to make a poll about what are the most stupid questions on a motorcycle forum

I'm going to make a poll about what are the most stupid questions on a motorcycle forum

1) waves - didn't wave
2) waves - type of wave
3) ATGATT vs squid
3) what 600SS to buy for noob
4) this thread

from my cage perspective,
dont ride looking around my drivers side if you're gonna have your high beam on because you are completely blinding me.
I got so ****** at this woman on a cbr125 the other day for doing that to me, I wanted to short brake the ***** out of her because of that and the fact that she was rolling through every stop sign nearly passing me as I came to my stops.

edit::
I would say flashing your beams at intersections is a good idea though.
I was driving down rutherford road one night, and I saw what appeared to be one bike approaching along with some cars; I was making a left hand turn. As the car passed and the first (and at this point I thought only) bike entered the intersection I then saw a flash and another bike appeared from out behind the blindspot of the car from my perspective.
It was also a way to let me know that it wasnt a car (two headlights), obviously if it was a car then both lights would have turned to a high beam.

it wasnt a close call or anything, but I was surprised to say the least and it just goes to show that proper "headlight techniques" can be of good use.

Last edited:
You guys that think that driving with your high beams on all the time is a GOOD idea need to investigate and understand two concepts: pit lighting and target fixation.

An instructor told you to do it? Can you share his name and contact information so I can email him and tell him he's a friggin idiot?

Don't ride with your high beams on. Illegally blinding other road users does not make you any safer.

+1 - instructor is an idjit

The only thing that catches a drivers attention is change and it ain't gonna work changing down to low beam. Keep your horn and high beam for catching attention - there is a reason many bikes have a passing switch to flicker the high beams.
It's stupid and afaik illegal to ride with highs on all the time.

edit::
I would say flashing your beams at intersections is a good idea though.

Flashing lights at an intersection means "please proceed with your turn in front of me.." Bottom line, don't rely on headlights to keep you safe. Use your head and read the situation.

I installed foglight (one) from Canadian Tire. Not high quality as PAA but wisible enough to incoming traffic. Also installed turn indicator directly on the mirrors.

I believe that I'm visible enough.

Flashing lights at an intersection means "please proceed with your turn in front of me.." Bottom line, don't rely on headlights to keep you safe. Use your head and read the situation.
I dont think thats what it meant in this case, because had I begun my turn the biker in question would have surely ran into me or vacated his bowels

I dont think thats what it meant in this case, because had I begun my turn the biker in question would have surely ran into me or vacated his bowels

That's my point..flashing lights could convey an incorrect message. If someone is flashing their lights at me at an intersection I'm thinking they're telling me to go ahead. Don't confuse the issue with flashing lights. Pay attention to the car's motion, the driver's eyes, slow down and assume he's going to proceed. Have your escape route planned out already. Don't rely on flashing lights..

Back
Top Bottom